Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Who are your representatives?
Who are your representatives?
2009-03-25, 10:02 PM #1
Starting from the bottom, Who are your elected representatives?

Our local Member of Parliament is Mike Lake , A nice guy who represents about 2000 people. He is a conservative, and got a good percent of the vote. Next up is Edmonton's Mayor, Stephen Mandel who hasn't really done much of note.

Alberta's Premier is Ed Stelmach. He replaced Ralph Klien who was premier from '92-'02. Both are Conservatives.

Canada's Prime Minister is Stephen Harper, a conservative.

Post your representatives, and if you have anything interesting to say about them please share.
2009-03-25, 10:11 PM #2
lolcanada.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-03-25, 10:33 PM #3
lolamerica.
\(='_'=)/
2009-03-25, 11:03 PM #4
I knew when I was in Illinois, but I haven't lived here long enough yet to know my representatives by heart. Having looked them up, they're exactly the people I'd have guessed: Sens. Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cornyn, and Rep. Lloyd Doggett.

Cornyn's a dick.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-03-26, 12:07 AM #5
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
I knew when I was in Illinois,

Speaking of which, what is it with your state and governors.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-03-26, 12:16 AM #6
State Senate:
-School - John Percell - tree hugger
- Home - Tom Rukavina - crazy short guy

Gov: Tim Pawlenty

Senate: Amy Klobechar, Norm Coleman/Al Franken

House:
- School - Colin Peterson
- Home - James Oberstar

President - Barack Hussein Obama

i don't know any level under state though, i can't remember mayors or county commissioners
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-03-26, 5:42 AM #7
I don't know, I lived somewhere else during the last election. :P
nope.
2009-03-26, 6:05 AM #8
I'm in the Welwyn Hatfield constituency represented by Conservative Shadow Minister for Housing Grant Shapps. He did a particularly amusing PR stunt a few years ago by spending Christmas sleeping outside (for one night), to bring attention to homelessness, and walked home looking wet and miserable and yet still supports some of the more absurd and elitist Tory housing plans. It's a little frustrating to have a shadow minister representing a constituency.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-03-26, 6:06 AM #9
My old MP was Robin Cook before he passed away. :(

We had someone actually good/respectable.
nope.
2009-03-26, 7:01 AM #10
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Speaking of which, what is it with your state and governors.

Illinois has a time-honored tradition of electing governors who are also crooks.
2009-03-26, 7:15 AM #11
Used to be Hillary Clinton :suicide:
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-03-26, 8:08 AM #12
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
Cornyn's a dick.
I heard he enjoys sex with box turtles.
2009-03-26, 10:39 AM #13
It's true. But I admire him for his integrity, because even though he enjoys sex with box turtles thoroughly, he has remained steadfast in his opposition to marriage between humans and box turtles.
2009-03-26, 1:15 PM #14
Originally posted by Onimusha:
Used to be Hillary Clinton :suicide:

hey are you from new york too?
2009-03-26, 4:15 PM #15
Me too. Hillary's such a tool.

Borough President: James Molinaro
Mayor: Michael Bloomberg
Governor: David Paterson
Representative: Michael McMahon
Senators: Kirsten Gillibrand and Chuck Schumer
President Barack Obama
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2009-03-26, 5:17 PM #16
I don't know who my representatives are.

I don't care. They don't listen to me, I don't have enough money. I didn't even vote for them.
2009-03-26, 8:16 PM #17
Oh yeah, forgot about Patterson. He's a goddamn idiot too.

OMFGLETZTACKSEVRYTINGWIHTSUGURINITCUZITMAEKSYUFATZZZ11!1!1!!!1!!1

I have half the mind to dump 342 chests of cola on his front lawn.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-03-27, 3:55 AM #18
My MP is Harriet Harman: Leader of the House of Commons, Deputy Leader of the Labour Party and Minister for Women and Equality.

I don't think she even remembers her own constituency at the best of times. In fact last summer when she deigned to show her face in public here she showed how out of touch she was by turning up wearing a stab vest. This area is sufficiently poor that it will never vote for anything but Labour. Whereas in other areas the disillusioned poor start to look to the far-right, Camberwell and Peckham are too multi-ethnic to swing that way. So no matter how much this area is neglected she is guaranteed her seat, in fact, I suspect that improving the area would endanger her seat.

Her son went to my school which was a big scandal about 12 years ago. It's a state grammar school, the idea behind them being that gifted children from poorer backgrounds can get a better standard of education for free. But Labour claim they're too discriminatory and have campaigned to have them shut down in favour of comprehensives where children of all abilities are shoved together. Harman's hypocrisy as Labour came into power almost lost her her job.

More recently she's been voting to try and remove MP expenditure bills from the domain of the Freedom of Information Act and as Equal Rights minister she seems to see everything in terms of gender which is fairly aggravating to 50% of the population.

↑ Up to the top!