Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Google Sky - God?
Google Sky - God?
2009-03-27, 11:20 AM #1
Hopefully that title dragged some of you in here..

Are the pictures of our own galaxy we have (not only in google earth but any) actual photos from something we blasted into the abyss long ago, or are they ALL computer generated guesses?
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-03-27, 11:59 AM #2
What you speak of does not exist. Stop questioning. Stay the course.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-03-27, 12:10 PM #3
Aye Aye Cappy!
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-03-27, 2:47 PM #4
Make fast the mantarays.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2009-03-27, 3:11 PM #5
I, personally, think it's all BS guesses, basing that on nothing other than my personal beliefs and no factual data backing it up.
We can only see so far with our telescopes and satellites.. so .. yea..And besides it's all old news.
Like millions of light years old news.
2009-03-27, 3:23 PM #6
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
Are the pictures of our own galaxy we have (not only in google earth but any) actual photos from something we blasted into the abyss long ago, or are they ALL computer generated guesses?

Well, let me teach you how to reason something like this.

A 1 second Google search reveals that astronomers estimate that the milky way is 100,000 light years across.

2 minutes on Wikipedia will tell you that camera lenses with a field of view greater than 90 degrees are difficult to engineer in the modern day, so we can guess that the camera used to take the photograph has a 90 degree field of view at maximum (especially because we know it would have taken a really long time for the camera to get that far away).

We can solve this problem with elementary trigonometry.
(50,000 ly) / tan(45 deg) = 50,000 ly.
The camera must be 50,000 light years away.

Our current understanding is that matter cannot travel faster than c, the speed of light in a vacuum. If we built a probe to travel at the speed of light, we would have needed to launch the probe 50,000 years before it took a photo. Furthermore, information cannot travel faster than c either which means that it would have been 50,000 years before we got the photo.

That means we would have needed to launch the probe 100,000 years ago.
2009-03-27, 3:35 PM #7
Thank god our ancestors had such foresight.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-03-27, 5:15 PM #8
TARZAN

2009-03-27, 5:40 PM #9
Thank god our ancestors had such foreskin.
Think while it's still legal.
2009-03-27, 7:47 PM #10
Quote:
Thank god our ancestors had such foreskin.

Unless your ancestors were Hebrew.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-03-28, 1:46 PM #11
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Well, let me teach you how to reason something like this.

A 1 second Google search reveals that astronomers estimate that the milky way is 100,000 light years across.

2 minutes on Wikipedia will tell you that camera lenses with a field of view greater than 90 degrees are difficult to engineer in the modern day, so we can guess that the camera used to take the photograph has a 90 degree field of view at maximum (especially because we know it would have taken a really long time for the camera to get that far away).

We can solve this problem with elementary trigonometry.
(50,000 ly) / tan(45 deg) = 50,000 ly.
The camera must be 50,000 light years away.

Our current understanding is that matter cannot travel faster than c, the speed of light in a vacuum. If we built a probe to travel at the speed of light, we would have needed to launch the probe 50,000 years before it took a photo. Furthermore, information cannot travel faster than c either which means that it would have been 50,000 years before we got the photo.

That means we would have needed to launch the probe 100,000 years ago.

This is without a doubt the most-deserv'd response to the OP question >_<. Sheeeeesh.
2009-03-28, 1:49 PM #12
At this moment, Voyager 1 is the furthest man-made object from earth... it is just over 16 and one quarter billion miles away.

To put this in terms relating to Jon`C's post, this is 0.00276431071 light years.
2009-03-28, 2:10 PM #13
GOD DAMNIT! Google Sky has Pluto listed as a planet! NERD RAGE.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-03-28, 2:19 PM #14
Originally posted by Jon`C:
information cannot travel faster than c

quantum entanglement?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-03-28, 2:23 PM #15
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
GOD DAMNIT! Google Sky has Pluto listed as a planet! NERD RAGE.

Pluto will always be a planet. That's what I was taught in elementary school and by the Magic School Bus :colbert:
一个大西瓜
2009-03-28, 2:38 PM #16
Originally posted by Freelancer:
quantum entanglement?

does not violate causality.
2009-03-28, 8:10 PM #17
Quote:
Pluto will always be a planet. That's what I was taught in elementary school and by the Magic School Bus

This+Reading Rainbow.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn

↑ Up to the top!