Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → You turning off your lights tonight?
You turning off your lights tonight?
2009-03-29, 11:16 AM #41
Originally posted by JLee:
Nope. I have stuff to do, and I can't see in the dark.

Same, but I also agree with SAJN that IGN is just being a douche.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-03-29, 11:28 AM #42
Originally posted by happydud:
*facepalm*

The entire internet is missing the point of this. No one is saying that by turning our lights off for an hour, we're going to save the planet. It's a symbolic gesture, like wearing rainbow colors to support gay pride, or wearing a stupid little wristband to say that you support cancer (or.. DON'T support cancer I guess).

Those wristbands aren't going to cure cancer.

yeah i know, i just dont support the cause, or rather the "green" movement. if everything was on a voluntary basis and kids in school weren't being brainwashed into thinking all the polar bears are dying when their population is STILL rising, then i would be like "hey doing stuff to decrease pollution is a great idea, cause smog sucks ***"
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-03-29, 1:33 PM #43
I'm pretty sure having less pollution etc would always be a good idea, regardless of the current state of affairs.

:carl:
nope.
2009-03-29, 2:35 PM #44
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
yeah i know, i just dont support the cause, or rather the "green" movement. if everything was on a voluntary basis and kids in school weren't being brainwashed into thinking all the polar bears are dying when their population is STILL rising, then i would be like "hey doing stuff to decrease pollution is a great idea, cause smog sucks ***"

Er, I don't think science is voluntary.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-03-29, 2:42 PM #45
Learning about the environment and ecology =/ conforming to a "Green" movement.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-03-29, 2:50 PM #46
I was away on choir tour, so all my lights were automatically off. But my computer was off for once, too!
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2009-03-29, 4:41 PM #47
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Same, but I also agree with SAJN that IGN is just being a douche.

Heaven forbid anyone joke around on the internet. :colbert:
2009-03-29, 4:45 PM #48
Hmm, that Star Trek clip seems familiar. >_>
There...are...FOUR...lights!
2009-03-29, 4:45 PM #49
i was wandering around NYC.

does that count?
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-03-30, 2:54 PM #50
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/03/earth_hour_2009.html

Kind of a cool article. Has pictures of before/during "Earth Hour" from places around the world.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-03-30, 4:22 PM #51
Originally posted by happydud:
*facepalm*

The entire internet is missing the point of this. No one is saying that by turning our lights off for an hour, we're going to save the planet. It's a symbolic gesture, like wearing rainbow colors to support gay pride, or wearing a stupid little wristband to say that you support cancer (or.. DON'T support cancer I guess).

Those wristbands aren't going to cure cancer.

*facepalm*

That is a bad analogy.

If you buy your wristbands from a charity the money goes towards research. IE, buying pink breast cancer wrist bands from the american cancer society actually does something.

Pride flags can be bought from a bunch of places where the funds go directly into civil rights movements. IE, buying a pride flag can help someone.

Earth day benefits NO ONE. It's a STUPID gesture. As stupid as feeling like you accomplished something by taking out your plastic recyclables, or getting coffee from a local coffee shop that charges just as much as Starbucks. BECAUSE YOU'RE STICKING TO THE MAN DAWG.
2009-03-30, 4:23 PM #52
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I'm pretty sure having less pollution etc would always be a good idea, regardless of the current state of affairs.

:carl:

Powerplants don't magically shut down or burn less coal because you turned your lights out for an hour.
2009-03-30, 4:29 PM #53
Originally posted by Rob:
*facepalm*

That is a bad analogy.

If you buy your wristbands from a charity the money goes towards research. IE, buying pink breast cancer wrist bands from the american cancer society actually does something.

Pride flags can be bought from a bunch of places where the funds go directly into civil rights movements. IE, buying a pride flag can help someone.

Earth day benefits NO ONE. It's a STUPID gesture. As stupid as feeling like you accomplished something by taking out your plastic recyclables, or getting coffee from a local coffee shop that charges just as much as Starbucks. BECAUSE YOU'RE STICKING TO THE MAN DAWG.

Valid point, but a lot pf places give out free ribbons supporting a particular cause - you don't have to buy them, so no money goes anywhere, but it's meant to be a symbol of support.
2009-03-30, 4:42 PM #54
Originally posted by Rob:
Powerplants don't magically shut down or burn less coal because you turned your lights out for an hour.

I never said anything about that, I was pointing out that trying to get things to be greener isn't a bad thing in any situation.
nope.
2009-03-30, 4:51 PM #55
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I never said anything about that, I was pointing out that trying to get things to be greener isn't a bad thing in any situation.

I wouldn't even call this making things "greener." More like making things "stupider" because it doesn't accomplish "anything."

What possible cost could this offset, what possible message could it send that you shouldn't already be sending by being smart consumer of any other product?

The answer is it doesn't offset any cost if you aren't retarded and can work the buttons on the walls that make the sun come out at night with magic. Or turn your AC to a tolerable level instead of it's so cold it might snow. Or dial down your heat and wear more layers.

This isn't the kind of environmentalism that people should learn or participate in because it doesn't do anything but it makes you feel like you did something. Isn't that what put us in this situation in the first place? I fail to see how it isn't a bunch of wishy washy same **** different day bullcrap.
2009-03-30, 11:23 PM #56
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Er, I don't think science is voluntary.

and i dont think that the current "green" movement is very well based in science

... sorry mort that was kind of a total redirect of your point. yeah, i didnt mean that science should be voluntary, obviously facts are facts. just that peoples involvement in this "greening" of our lives should be.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-03-30, 11:45 PM #57
well the movement itself isn't the problem - it's that a lot of companies are trying to greenwash their brands rather than really trying to solve the problem so you're getting a lot of hype about stuff that really doesn't matter

↑ Up to the top!