Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Does printing B/W use color ink?
Does printing B/W use color ink?
2009-03-29, 6:09 PM #1
I have a Canon MX310 desktop ink printer...since I bought it I've printed a couple hundred shipping labels or so and THAT'S IT, nothing else. As expected, I ran out of black and white ink pretty quickly. However, 2 weeks after my B/W is gone, it's telling me my color is now low. What gives?
2009-03-29, 6:12 PM #2
Those programs are prone to overstate the depletion. I read a study somewhere out of a few dozen printers tested, only 3 reported ink levels correctly. The rest started *****ing when its 1/3 empty, some even 50% :gonk:
\(='_'=)/
2009-03-29, 6:22 PM #3
Are you asking if once your black is out it uses color? How the hell else would it still print BW?
2009-03-29, 6:24 PM #4
C+M+Y=BK
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-03-29, 6:27 PM #5
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
Are you asking if once your BW is out it uses color? How the hell else would it still print BW?

??? I don't understand.

I'm wondering how I ran out of color ink if I've never used it.

And I really am all out of color ink. I tried printing a single color picture and it is definitely out.

Originally posted by Ford:
C+M+Y=BK

Are you saying that once I'm out of black ink, it will then start combining my color inks to make black ink until that is also gone?
2009-03-29, 6:30 PM #6
Originally posted by Ford:
C+M+Y=BK

this.

Some printers make black (or really, the various shades of gray) using the colors. If your labels are "black", but the black is not 100% black, say 80% black - a shade of gray - then the printer will mix the colors to get it.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-03-29, 6:30 PM #7
.... obviously.
2009-03-29, 6:36 PM #8
.... obviously.

Did you invest 4 years into color theory as well?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-03-29, 6:39 PM #9
I just don't understand how someone could wonder where the ink to print BW was coming from when he knew the black was out of ink.
2009-03-29, 6:40 PM #10
Different color combinations for printing the same colors can be used to prevent forgeries of printed documents. When viewed under particular wavelengths the different combinations of the same color show up as different colors. But that would only work if you aren't printing black and white with your color cartridge.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2009-03-29, 6:40 PM #11
I agree. You counter his points pretty well. He shouldn't have tried.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-03-29, 6:53 PM #12
I just don't understand how someone could wonder where the ink to print BW was coming from when he knew the black was out of ink.

You aren't understanding my question. While I probably should have mentioned that I had replaced my black cartridge after it ran out (shortly before my color was gone), you also probably should have clarified before being a jackass.

When my PC told me my BW was gone, I knew that those programs are probably a bit off so I just kept printing until it actually wouldn't put anything down on the paper. From what I just learned from you guys, it seems what I actually did was let it drain my color ink AND BW. At this point, not knowing the printer would draw from color to make BW, I replaced my BW cartridge only. Of course, the BW then printed fine, but the color was gone.
2009-03-29, 6:54 PM #13
Ok thanks for the clarification. My problem, was explained in my PM because I thought something completely different was happening.
2009-03-29, 7:17 PM #14
some printers will print gray using color cartridge even when the black has plenty of ink

my color ink was running low and i printed something that had gray in it... it came out pink
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-03-29, 8:10 PM #15
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
some printers will print gray using color cartridge even when the black has plenty of ink

my color ink was running low and i printed something that had gray in it... it came out pink

That'd be hell for me, pink and gray look similar to me :(
I had a blog. It sucked.
2009-03-29, 8:10 PM #16
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:

This was what I was trying to say.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-03-29, 11:36 PM #17
Another thing, you should regularly (once a week or two) print a color page so that your color ink doesn't dry out. My old printer was crap, and since I didn't print a color page often enough, our completely full color cartridges wouldn't work when we needed them...

and before someone mentions it, yes I know there are ways to unclog/clean cartridges.
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2009-03-29, 11:44 PM #18
Color printers are a *****. I hate them. I hate having to print anything in color. I don't own a color printer because I don't hardly use them. If I have to, I go to a cafe internet and pay a dollar for a full page in color, sometimes less. I hate color printers because they are always running out of ink, ink is as expensive as gold, and even if you dont' use it, the ink dries out, ruins the cartridge and you have to buy a new one instead of refilling that one.

Quote:
and before someone mentions it, yes I know there are ways to unclog/clean cartridges

I tried that with the cartridges of a printer I used to own a long time ago. Didn't work.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-03-30, 12:32 AM #19
I had more or less success with cleaning/unclogging them... it was really too much effort with what we had. I did get it to work, but it just dried up again after that one use, and it was never that great of a solution in the first place...

Hence why I'm recommending the near-weekly color printing ;)
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2009-03-30, 9:23 AM #20
Solution.

Toner printer.

I've got a Tektonic Phaser 780 myself. Weighs about as much as a car, but it defenitely gets the job done, and fast.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-03-30, 9:52 AM #21
Originally posted by Onimusha:
Solution.

Toner printer.

I've got a Tektonic Phaser 780 myself. Weighs about as much as a car, but it defenitely gets the job done, and fast.

I paid $70 for my Cannon from Costco, and it came with ink. Can I get it for a similar price?
2009-03-30, 10:01 AM #22
Toner printer.

they're called 'laser printers'
2009-03-30, 10:04 AM #23
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
I paid $70 for my Cannon from Costco, and it came with ink. Can I get it for a similar price?
If you want a B&W laser printer you're looking at probably $120 minimum, but you probably wouldn't be happy with it.

Generally the cheaper a printer is, the more money the printer manufacturer intends to make from you in cartridges.
2009-03-30, 10:15 AM #24
Originally posted by Jon`C:
If you want a B&W laser printer you're looking at probably $120 minimum, but you probably wouldn't be happy with it.

Generally the cheaper a printer is, the more money the printer manufacturer intends to make from you in cartridges.

Cartridges and repairing.

I've gone through about 3 different cheapo printers in my time. Finally I wised up and bought a higher-end Epson, and it's been with me as long as all my other printers combined. Also helps that the ink lasts much longer, never fouls up a print, and does great photos.

tl;dr: You get what you pay for
2009-03-30, 11:26 AM #25
Quote:
they're called 'laser printers'

They're called 'who gives a ****'.

Quote:

Not brand new, but if you look on ebay you might find something decent for around that price. As for being happy with it, I don't see why you wouldn't. Mine has given me no trouble whatsoever.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-03-30, 12:32 PM #26
Someone looking to buy something that doesn't exist based on your recommendation, I guess?
2009-03-30, 1:54 PM #27

Well I for one didn't have a clue "what the ****" you were talking about until Joncy mentioned the actual name.
nope.
2009-03-30, 4:37 PM #28

Someone like you that has once or twice paid for blinker fluid or a bucket of steam to wash your car.

↑ Up to the top!