Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So the first season of "The Clone Wars" is over.
So the first season of "The Clone Wars" is over.
2009-03-30, 3:22 PM #1
And, this being a Star Wars forum, I thought we could discuss it.
All in all I found to be an okay addition to the franchise. It had a few good episodes; The last one which introduced a pretty awesome new villain, and the episode that gave a little more insight into General Grievous, stand out for me. The creators knew what they were doing in regards to the Expanded Universe, including placing Y-Wings throughout the series (I jumped for nerd joy when i saw that they actually used the EU canon instead of just making a new starship). As a spin-off series marketed for children i think this was pretty good, but definitely not perfect.

Thoughts?
2009-03-30, 3:38 PM #2
It sucks. :psyduck:
2009-03-30, 3:38 PM #3
Never watched it.
No intention to watch it.

Those are my thoughts.
2009-03-30, 3:57 PM #4
So there was a cartoon called Clone Wars, and now there's another show called THE Clone Wars? There was also a movie called Clone Wars. Seriously?
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-03-30, 4:20 PM #5
Yeah, I've been trying to figure out why they think the Clone Wars is some kind of bankable franchise. I'm starting to get the feeling that the entire 3 movies were a bad bad marketing scheme.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-03-30, 4:22 PM #6
There was more than 1 film?
nope.
2009-03-30, 4:25 PM #7
The more I think about it, the more frightening it becomes. The first movie was their McDonald's/kids film, the second was aimed at Video Games and other licenses, and the third one was the big blockbuster/fanservice film.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-03-30, 4:59 PM #8
:tinfoil:
2009-03-30, 6:07 PM #9
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
So there was a cartoon called Clone Wars, and now there's another show called THE Clone Wars? There was also a movie called Clone Wars. Seriously?

The animated series was enjoyable because George Lucas wasn't involved with it. Whenever George touches something, it becomes diseased.

I tried watching the CGI Clone Wars but it often puts me off. The only good episodes were the ones exclusively about the clones or minor characters, oddly enough. The red little brat is a total Mary Sue character and Anakin spurts out sarcastic statements every 3 minutes as if he has some sort of disorder. If I could describe what I think of the show's writing with one term, it isn't particularly bad for an action show, but it's incredibly bipolar. It's jumps without hesitation or grace between "war is gritty and terrible" and "waky, fun cartoon time!" Clones are shown getting beheaded, one character is seen with a lightsaber plowing through his chest still alive and people dying in many ways but then the show turns around and shows ****ing Jar Jar Binks as a hero and the droids continuously carry on stupid conversations over and over.

I just assumed the writing staff often had conflict of interest with Big George himself, and the drastic swings in mood and tone seen in the season as a whole is the result. But I will say it really lacks any sort of Star Wars feel besides fan service. As an action show, it's decent and has its moments.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-03-30, 6:07 PM #10
I actually really like the show. Once you get past the fact that Ahsoka is annoying is hell, there's a lot of fan service, some decent action, without any efforts to make major strokes at the story.

It's clean, simple fun.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-03-30, 6:15 PM #11
It's p.cool.

But too much emphasis on how big of a whiny emo thuder**** anakin skywalker is
2009-03-30, 6:21 PM #12
No delete button, super lag double post. Ignore.
2009-03-30, 7:08 PM #13
Quote:
Yeah, I've been trying to figure out why they think the Clone Wars is some kind of bankable franchise. I'm starting to get the feeling that the entire 3 movies were a bad bad marketing scheme.

Because George Lucas is more rich and famous than you could ever dream of becoming, thus he can do what he wants, with his own franchise. Which unfortunately, includes redundant naming.
2009-03-30, 7:53 PM #14
Just because he can do what he wants, doesn't mean he should.
I personally think the universe was created more by other people, like the EU writters and game devs, and that he should really try and respect them more.
2009-03-30, 8:10 PM #15
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
I personally think the universe was created more by other people, like the EU writters...

Stopped reading here. The EU is largely terrible.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2009-03-30, 8:14 PM #16
you need to read the Post-NJO stuff with Jacen
<3
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-03-30, 9:05 PM #17
I think it's a good show.

As long as you go into it with a Saturday morning cartoon attitude, you will enjoy yourself.

I also love how each episode has a reference to the original trilogy.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-03-30, 11:00 PM #18
Really? I haven't been watching that closely, the only OT reference i have found are the Y-Wings and Palpatines usual plotting.
2009-03-31, 2:31 AM #19
I've only just started watching it (I'm in Australia), but so far I'm liking most of the episdoes. It's got lightsabers and that's enough to keep me happy most of the time.

Also, first post, so hello everyone.
2009-03-31, 6:32 AM #20
I love it. Not all episodes are just as cool, but they're all written by different people.
I personally feel the first half of the season was somewhat better than the last half.

I especially loved the Malevolence trilogy (ft. Plo Koon). Other great episodes were 'Cloak of Darkness' (ft. Luminara Unduli), 'Lair of Grievous' (ft. Kit Fisto), 'Rookies' (ft. clones only), 'Ambush' (ft. Yoda) and the duology 'Downfall of a Droid' and 'Duel of the droids'. Those are all from the first half of the season. The season finale was great too... I loved Cad Bane, the Duros Bounty Hunter... he'll be back for season 2.

I loved seeing Aayla Secura in action, but the story she was in was a bit meh...

I don't think Ahsoka is annoying... she is actually pretty funny. And you know... teenagers are annoying, so she is supposed to be like that. Compared to Anakin's whiny attitude in AotC, Ahsoka is a breath of fresh air.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2009-03-31, 6:34 AM #21
Originally posted by Shayol:
I've only just started watching it (I'm in Australia), but so far I'm liking most of the episdoes. It's got lightsabers and that's enough to keep me happy most of the time.

Welcome!
2009-03-31, 7:39 AM #22
Originally posted by genk:
you need to read the Post-NJO stuff with Jacen
<3

Agreed. I'm reading the Fate of the Jedi: Outcast, which is after the Legacy of the Force series. Pretty good so far. Get to learn more about the Kel Dors and the Baran Do Sages.

As far as the Clone Wars goes, my kids like it, but they are 3 and 1 respectively.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2009-03-31, 12:34 PM #23
Quote:
I personally think the universe was created more by other people, like the EU writters and game devs, and that he should really try and respect them more.

I totally agree, to an extent. However I was more replying to Kirby's comment.
2009-03-31, 12:55 PM #24
Jacen is a tool.

It's about my man Han Solo after Chewbacca gets killed with a ****ing MOON.
2009-03-31, 12:58 PM #25
Not only that, but Chewbacca stared that thing down.
2009-03-31, 1:11 PM #26
Do me a favor, if you're going to brown nose you can lick it clean while you're down there.

Just saying.
2009-03-31, 1:13 PM #27
So even when people agree with you, you act like an *******?
2009-03-31, 2:05 PM #28
There is a huge difference in sharing an opinion and brown nosing.

Your new title even reflects this.
2009-03-31, 2:06 PM #29
I'm surprised that anybody bothered watching this series.
2009-03-31, 3:10 PM #30
Once a certain level of fanboyism is reached, it's impossible to not watch everything with that franchises name on it.
I watched the holiday special.
2009-03-31, 3:23 PM #31
So you're an impressionable dolt and if starwars told you to jump off a cliff to watch Attack of the Clone Jar Jars you would?
2009-03-31, 3:38 PM #32
...Yes
2009-03-31, 3:49 PM #33
Sweet, I've got stock ownership in that one.
2009-03-31, 3:57 PM #34
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
I watched the holiday special.

;_;
DO NOT WANT.
2009-03-31, 4:31 PM #35
Actually it was more :downswords::downswords: followed by :eek::eek::downswords::argh: and then :master: for the boba fett cartoon and then:suicide: for the bar scene, ending with a :huh: when the wookiees dawned red robes and leia sang.
2009-03-31, 4:46 PM #36
....please someone take this thread behind the shed and shoot it.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-04-01, 4:34 PM #37
Er, anyway, back to the the Clone Wars.

I really like it. It has more of an Original Trilogy feel than the prequel movies did, and some weeks, I thought the show blew away TPM. Nearly every episode got better and better, and they were all a far cry better than the film they showed before the tv show aired.

I really liked the episode with Ventress freeing that idiot Neimoidian... can't remember his name. Jedi Master Luminara was in it too.

My only complaints with the show is it is too short, and every episode is tied up in a bow by the end. Even the ones that have multiple episode storyarcs. And the new guy that does the newer Jar Jar voice is absolutely terrible. I could do a better Jar Jar voice. With my voicebox cut out.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-04-01, 5:57 PM #38
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
Never watched it.
No intention to watch it.

Those are my thoughts.

same
2009-04-01, 6:18 PM #39
Originally posted by Rob:
So you're an impressionable dolt and if starwars told you to jump off a cliff to watch Attack of the Clone Jar Jars you would?

If they're showing Phantom Menace at the top of the cliff, I'd probably jump.

Originally posted by Shayol:

Leave soul at door.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-04-01, 10:23 PM #40
I liked TPM :(

It was the only Prequel movie to have any sort of Star Wars feeling to it.

I can't wait for the next guy to take Lucas' place, which happens to be the guy who worked on The Clone Wars.

↑ Up to the top!