Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Singing
Singing
2004-08-22, 5:07 PM #1
Anyone know how to get better at it? Is there some form of like lessons, or vocal exercises or something? Just wondering

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-08-22, 5:08 PM #2
Start by just singing along with your favourite stuff, or music with vocalists that kind of sound like you.

------------------
"Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-08-22, 5:09 PM #3
well if you suck at singing either give up or join a hardcore band and scream your lungs out

other than that i can't give much advice

oh and inbefodamove

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-22, 5:15 PM #4
Hmm... I'm no teacher, but I used to do some singing a while back. Let's see what I can recall...

It helps to have a pianist. Preferrably one who can let you know when you're off key. You can cup your hand by your ear to better hear your own voice and try and get on key, as well.

Breathing is very important. One thing to practice is taking silent breaths, rather than loud ones. It sounds much better.

Hold out vowel sounds, rather than consonant sounds. You can get a much richer tone with your mouth wide open than half closed.

Also, practice exaggerating your usage of your mouth to see if you can get better enunciation. It's important to keep your sounds clear, even if it seems goofy.

Practice projecting from your chest rather than your throat. It will save your vocal cords and increase your power.

Practice falsetto (your upper register). The way I was taught was to start at your highest note and sound like you're falling off a building. We would do those exercises before chorus class every day.

And of course, practice practice practice. Learn the nuances of the songs you're singing. Once you get the technical aspects of them, work on feeling the songs. Make sure you know the words. Etc. Etc.

...Then again, this is me remembering classes and clubs from 5 or 6 years ago...
Pereant qui ante nos nostra dixerunt.
2004-08-22, 5:49 PM #5
You can take singing classes and get signing coaches and such, but they can only do so much if you don't have a good voice

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-22, 11:58 PM #6
Any good teacher will tell you that your voice doesn't matter. Your voice doesn't play a factor in whether or not you can hit the notes.

------------------
Baby Mama's Drama
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE

↑ Up to the top!