Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Computers.. when it rains it pours
Computers.. when it rains it pours
2009-04-02, 10:35 AM #1
So I don't know if anyone remembers my post a few weeks about about the issues I was having. Thanks to some good advice I managed to get it back and running perfectly. Although, it wasn't easy, and now I've got a whole other problem going on.

First, as soon as I started reinstalling windows it was acting funny. My original windows key didnt work, so I had to use the one from my new XP copy, which was irritating, then when I "installed" XP again, upon boot up it informed me something went wrong in the installation. So I reinstalled again, and sure enough when I booted it back up, it would get to the windows loading screen right before the log in and as soon as that screen finished - boom, reboot.

I ended up having to install windows on another harddrive to run a checkdisk on my main drive. After doing that it ran fine last night. Tested out a few things which all worked great, and then went to bed. Woke up this morning to more reboot circles.

Any ideas? Already tried swapping the power supply.. no luck.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-04-02, 3:23 PM #2
Try running memtest yet? I've also seen a faulty cd/dvd drive cause alot of installation headaches.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-04-02, 6:39 PM #3
Yep, sounds like a memory issue. If you're using more than one memory stick, are they both the same brand and model (they don't have to have the same capacity, but the frequency should match). Sometimes you can get away with mismatching memory sticks, but a lot of the time you can't (especially when you're using value memory).

Also, you don't have to use another hard drive to perform a scandisk.

Run memtest and let us know the results.
2009-04-02, 6:43 PM #4
Or he installed windows over windows over windows which seems a lot more likely given his post history.
2009-04-02, 6:46 PM #5
I've never had problems installing windows over windows over windows...
2009-04-02, 6:49 PM #6
Does it always reboot at the same place or is it random? If random, how random is it (sometimes reboots quick and then sometimes stays up for 30 min to an hour before rebooting, etc)? I ask only to try to rule out overheating.
2009-04-02, 6:53 PM #7
Originally posted by Alco:
I've never had problems installing windows over windows over windows...

You sir might be one of those born lucky people.
2009-04-03, 6:06 AM #8
I guess I should have added:

...knock on wood. :D
2009-04-03, 7:39 AM #9
Superstition is all nonsense. Touch wood.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-04-03, 7:45 AM #10
Me I like to lick it.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-04-03, 7:59 AM #11
Me, I like to lick Jep.
2009-04-03, 8:51 AM #12
Me I like to move it move it, I like to move it move it, I like to move it move it, I like to, MOVE IT!
2009-04-03, 9:20 AM #13
Jep likes lick. Martyn licks Jep. Lick Martyn, Lick.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-04-04, 5:22 AM #14
/Licks.
2009-04-04, 11:17 AM #15
hit f8 before the windows screen, select "disable automatic restart"

post what the bluescreen says.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2009-04-04, 12:41 PM #16
Try the "Repair Windows installation" option from the Windows Setup CD.

2009-04-04, 1:42 PM #17
  1. Go to the Recovery Console.
  2. CHKDSK /P /R
  3. FIXBOOT C:\
? :)
2009-04-04, 3:20 PM #18
Sorry guys I haven't been able to get on a computer since mine is still down.

First off, Rob your a [cool guy!], have a nice hot cup of stfu.

Secondly, aside from memtest I have done everything else that was suggested.
Also, when I turned off auto restart on windows failure, and input the error screen message in google, I got nothing useful.

I'll have to run memtest tonight, not sure when I'll be able to get back here, but I'll update asap.
-Martyn
2009-04-04, 4:06 PM #19
Originally posted by Onimusha:
Also, when I turned off auto restart on windows failure, and input the error screen message in google, I got nothing useful.

...what was the error?
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2009-04-04, 5:25 PM #20
First off, Rob your a tw*t, have a nuce hot cup of stfu.
You speak English. There is absolutely no excuse for not understanding the difference between "your" and "you're." If you're unwilling to put in the effort necessary to express yourself intelligently I fail to see any reason you should bother expressing yourself at all.
2009-04-04, 10:56 PM #21
Quote:
You speak English. There is absolutely no excuse for not understanding the difference between "your" and "you're." If you're unwilling to put in the effort necessary to express yourself intelligently I fail to see any reason you should bother expressing yourself at all.

Have a good, long cry over it bub. Then tell someone who cares. Kthanksbye.

NoESC, I'll type it when I get it from home and hopefully boot off the other HD again so that I can get on here to do so.
-Martyn
2009-04-04, 11:00 PM #22
you people are a bunch of whiny babies
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-04-05, 12:21 AM #23
You know, rather then whining about abuse from other members you could work on getting that computer fixed...
2009-04-05, 2:37 AM #24
Originally posted by Jon`C:

I hope Jon`C has a child someday and talks to it in exactly this manner.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-04-05, 6:55 AM #25
Quote:
You know, rather then whining about abuse from other members you could work on getting that computer fixed...

I'm at someones house, leaving this morning.
-Martyn
2009-04-05, 9:11 AM #26
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
I hope Jon`C has a child someday and talks to it in exactly this manner.
If my children are anything at all like me, they'll inherit my ability to not sound like a total simpering moron long before the age where I lose patience for it.

Onimusha is an adult, or something almost as good; if he fits in the Massassi age curve he's high school age at the youngest. He has absolutely no excuse for not understanding contractions.
2009-04-06, 6:59 AM #27

What's funny is Jon`C picked out the least obvious mistake in that post.

If I were to comment on his 'intranets typing skillz' it would have been for misspelling "nice"...and not seeing the red dotted line under it before clicking the 'Post Reply' button.

"Your" and "You're"? I don't know about in Canada, but most places in the States pronounce both words the same. This is actually a very common mistake. I've seen it in Newspapers and Magazines where even the editors missed it. This isn't something worth picking out of someone's post and insulting them about it. Now say your sorry, Jon! :p

"Then" and "Than" are common mistakes for the same reason. You're typing along and not really thinking about those things because you imagine that the person on the other side is smart enough to read the context around the word and figure it out. A lot of the time when I'm reading, I don't even pick up on those mistakes because I'm reading along and listening to myself read it where it's no different then someone talking to me.
2009-04-06, 11:19 AM #28
Quote:
If I were to comment on his 'intranets typing skillz' it would have been for misspelling "nice"...and not seeing the red dotted line under it before clicking the 'Post Reply' button.

Except I don't use Firefox, thus no red line =P
-Martyn
2009-04-06, 2:10 PM #29
I'm reading along and listening to myself read it where it's no different then someone talking to me.

than
2009-04-06, 2:32 PM #30
Engrish shud devalv
2009-04-06, 4:01 PM #31
than

EXACTLY! :eng101:
2009-04-06, 4:04 PM #32
I don't know about you, but I don't pronounce "then" and "than" the same way.
2009-04-06, 4:10 PM #33
EXACTLY! :eng101:

Except for one small difference here:

they're and their; you're and your. Regardless of pronunciation or spelling, contractions are a distinct grammatical construct and they mean something completely different than their homonyms. If you can't mentally parse the difference between "your a tw*t" and "you are a tw*t" there is something wrong.

We aren't talking about the occasional mistake, and I'm not even going to mention the inadequacy of someone who needs to read out loud into their twenties... we're talking about a person's consistent, demonstrable lack of understanding of a simple concept that most children master before their age reaches two digits.
2009-04-06, 10:11 PM #34
Jon'C, I wish you could somehow take the viewpoint of another mind rather then your overblown, self important, narcissistic, elitist mind, to see just how much of a god damned idiot you look like after reading your last few posts.

Seriously, just do everyone a favor and shut the **** up. Your the only one who really cares. I'd hope that you have better things to do with you life, rather then having a childish hissy fit over some apostrophes. There are much more important things in the world to divert your anger towards, then the grammatical errors of users on an editing community forum. That in itself, makes you yes, in fact, just as much of an idiot as you accuse myself and others of being.

Your not a college professor. This isn't a college final essay, however it is in fact, a star wars forum.

I'm sure you'll type of a perfect essay in retort to my post. You'll insult me, pick out everything inncorrect in this post, and generally rant about everything you detest about me, and that is perfectly A-ok. By the end of your grand spiel, we still know your a ****ing idiot.

Do yourself a favor and get a life.

P.S. Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you're not God, and this is just an internet forum.

Its ok, just breathe, you'll make it.
-Martyn
2009-04-06, 10:14 PM #35
Jon'C, I wish you could somehow take the viewpoint of another mind rather then your overblown, self important, narcissistic, elitist mind, to see just how much of a god damned idiot you look like after reading your last few posts.

Seriously, just shut the **** up. Your the only one who really cares. I'd hope that you have better things to do with you life, rather then having a childish hissy fit over some apostrophes.

Your not a college professor. This isn't a college final essay, however it is in fact, a star wars forum.

Get a life.

You're

I know you probably did that on purpose but it's still annoying
一个大西瓜
2009-04-06, 10:22 PM #36
Correct. I added a few other thoughts since then.
-Martyn
2009-04-07, 5:24 AM #37
Jon'C, I wish you could somehow take the viewpoint of another mind
A babysitter is putting a child to bed early. The child objects, "But it doesn't matter if I stay up late! I'm not tired! I don't wanna -- why should I??" The babysitter knows from past experience that the boy will be utterly insufferable if he doesn't get a full 10 hours of sleep.

Which person in this story is failing to see the other person's viewpoint: the child or the babysitter?

This is just one of many challenging problems you will face while completing elementary school english.

Quote:
it is in fact, a star wars forum.
All this means is that you have the worst grammar on a star wars forum.
2009-04-07, 6:49 AM #38
Asking this seems offtopic now...

Did you ever identify the problem with your computer?
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-04-07, 9:57 AM #39
Still working on that one. I still have to run memtest which I will probably end up doing today.
-Martyn
2009-04-07, 12:06 PM #40
you know you should probably post that error message
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT

↑ Up to the top!