Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dissection
Dissection
2009-04-03, 12:26 AM #41
Originally posted by Jon`C:
High school English courses focus on unquantifiable literary analysis at the expense of lexicon, syntax and semantics. It's not unbelievable that someone would get excellent marks and still be incapable of communicating her ideas eloquently.

Not that I think her grammar and spelling are bad.

The idea is that your grade reflects your abilities relative to all other students who have taken the course, regardless of circumstance.

Let's say it's English. One professor believes that nobody can be perfect and refuses to grade papers higher than 90%. Another professor believes that everybody is a beautiful unique butterfly and always grades every paper from 90% to 100%. Students from the second class are not better; their professor just grades higher. It's unfair that they would have a higher academic standing than the students who took the course from the more challenging professor.

Or Mathematics. One professor has a very cut-and-dry course teaching just the basics of calculus. Another professor throws in some partial differential equations because he thinks it's bloody fascinating. People who took the first course had an easier time and got higher marks, while people who took the second course got lower marks on average. How do you measure academic standing?

It's pretty basic statistics. If each class gets a truly random sample of students their abilities can be plotted with a bell curve. It doesn't always exactly work out that way, but it's close enough. It also prevents side effects like GPA inflation.

Or how about a National Curriculum, and external exam boards? Have the exams written and assessed by someone other than the person teaching course, based on what the children should know. Standardise teaching, not the students.

This bell curve completely destroys incentive for self-improvement, as to get 100% you only need to come top of the class. If you get 50% and you come top of the class, you get 100%! But you still got half of it wrong.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-04-03, 12:28 AM #42
Ew, no, don't standardize classes.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2009-04-03, 4:24 AM #43
I read it as "are dissecting pigs and cats and some people" at first, phew
2009-04-03, 8:52 AM #44
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Or how about a National Curriculum, and external exam boards? Have the exams written and assessed by someone other than the person teaching course, based on what the children should know. Standardise teaching, not the students.
This is exactly how Alberta high schools solved the problem after a neo-nazi teacher was failing students for refusing to deny the holocaust back in 1984.

Quote:
This bell curve completely destroys incentive for self-improvement, as to get 100% you only need to come top of the class. If you get 50% and you come top of the class, you get 100%! But you still got half of it wrong.
Again, if you managed to get 50% in one teacher's class you would be able to get 100% in another's. The incentive for self-improvement exists and it is manifested as competition against other students.

It's possible to implement other systems in a public high school setting, but in a university setting it isn't. The only degree programs with standardized bodies of knowledge and accreditation are things like Engineering and Medicine. Occasionally Computing Science.
2009-04-03, 9:09 AM #45
All I got to dissect was a freaking worm, you guys suck.
I wanna cut up a pig or cat.
2009-04-03, 9:14 AM #46
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
All I got to dissect was a freaking worm, you guys suck.
I wanna cut up a pig or cat.

We dissected worms in 7th or 8th grade. Along with Starfish, Crayfish, and other small animals.
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-04-03, 9:23 AM #47
Weird.
There was no dissections in middle school here.
My HS didn't do anything but worms.
I think AP did a frog..
2009-04-03, 9:30 AM #48
We did frogs in middle school aswell. They smelled worse than the pigs.
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-04-03, 10:00 AM #49
We dissected a cows eye
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-04-03, 10:08 AM #50
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/8177/img0483.jpg
My second latest dissection. (Squid) We did a sea cucumber and starfish yesterday.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-04-03, 10:17 AM #51
Wow, there really isn't very much inside a squid.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2009-04-03, 10:19 AM #52
Here's more squid. http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/8897/img0482.jpg

And yeah, they're pretty boring.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-04-03, 10:31 AM #53
Originally posted by fishstickz:
Here's more squid. http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/8897/img0482.jpg

And yeah, they're pretty boring.

Can you tell me what exactly we're looking at? It's been 5 years since I did any biology, and we only disected whatever the teachers ran over on the way to school (so very few squid).

What are the curly spindly things on the side?
2009-04-03, 11:23 AM #54
...tentacles
--Garrison Keillor
2009-04-03, 6:09 PM #55
Logged in just to see who the "1" was.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2009-04-03, 6:14 PM #56
I never dissected anything.

Then again I never took Biology.
nope.
2009-04-04, 3:21 AM #57
Originally posted by fishstickz:
...tentacles

No, I mean on the second picture.
Attachment: 21660/img0482.jpg (90,124 bytes)

↑ Up to the top!