Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → ohboy. I don't need another project..
ohboy. I don't need another project..
2009-04-05, 9:19 AM #1
..but I found a 1991 MR2 non-turbo with (bad) auto trans for $600.

I found a Camry V6 engine (popular swap) for free...or an entire (running) car for $300.

:psyduck:
woot!
2009-04-05, 9:23 AM #2
You buy it, I'll take it!
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-04-05, 9:41 AM #3
What year is the Camry engine? My Scion tC has the same engine as the Camry (2AZ-FE). I don't think the V6 will fit in the engine compartment :(
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-04-05, 9:47 AM #4
Link with pics of car

Originally posted by dalf:
What year is the Camry engine? My Scion tC has the same engine as the Camry (2AZ-FE). I don't think the V6 will fit in the engine compartment :(

One from a '92 and one from a '93 (3VZ-FE). Apparently they're pretty bulletproof engines.
woot!
2009-04-05, 10:27 AM #5
It'd be so awesome if you had enough room on the MR2s or Fieros to run a longitudinal drivetrain.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2009-04-05, 10:54 PM #6
1MZ + MR2 = fun

BUT! If you want to have even more fun...

Ditch that 1MZ-FE and drop a 5VZ-FE in there. Then score yourself a used TRD Supercharger, toss in a few fuel mods, and you've got yourself a 300hp MR2 :P The reason why the 5VZ is a better option is;
- The 5VZ is a lot beefier than the 1MZ.
- The stock rods on the 1MZ have been known to get launched through oil pans when pushed too much.
- 1MZ superchargers are nearly impossible to find.
- TRD produced more superchargers for the 5VZ than any other platform, making picking up a cheap one easy.
- Most TRD blowers are picky about their application, but this one fits pretty much ANY vehicle that had a 5VZ (96-04 Tacomas/4Runners, T100, and 1st gen V6 Tundras).

More info about tuning/modding a 5VZ... [url]www.gadgetonline.com[/url]
Lyrics are highly overrated.
2009-04-05, 10:57 PM #7
Originally posted by MrRavenX:
1MZ + MR2 = fun

BUT! If you want to have even more fun...

Ditch that 1MZ-FE and drop a 5VZ-FE in there. Then score yourself a used TRD Supercharger, toss in a few fuel mods, and you've got yourself a 300hp MR2 :P The reason why the 5VZ is a better option is;
- The 5VZ is a lot beefier than the 1MZ.
- The stock rods on the 1MZ have been known to get launched through oil pans when pushed too much.
- 1MZ superchargers are nearly impossible to find.
- TRD produced more superchargers for the 5VZ than any other platform, making picking up a cheap one easy.
- Most TRD blowers are picky about their application, but this one fits pretty much ANY vehicle that had a 5VZ (96-04 Tacomas/4Runners, T100, and 1st gen V6 Tundras).

More info about tuning/modding a 5VZ... [url]www.gadgetonline.com[/url]

I think the 91-93 Camry V6's are the 3VZ-FE. I heard back from the Craiglist guy with the free one- he still has it, and it's in a garage..this might be something I should pick up, even if I don't get the car right off. I found one on car-part.com with a blown head gasket- for $350. :D
woot!
2009-04-05, 11:02 PM #8
Originally posted by JLee:
Link with pics of car

One from a '92 and one from a '93 (3VZ-FE). Apparently they're pretty bulletproof engines.

Whoa, just read that thread from Toysrme... wow, I remember that guy. He had the sickest turbo Camry back in the day... not sure if he still has it. Good info.
2009-04-05, 11:05 PM #9
I think the 91-93 Camry V6's are the 3VZ-FE. I heard back from the Craiglist guy with the free one- he still has it, and it's in a garage..this might be something I should pick up, even if I don't get the car right off. I found one on car-part.com with a blown head gasket- for $350. :D

Almost right. 92-93 Camrys had the 3VZ-FE. 91 still had the 2VZ-FE. From 94+ they switched to the 1MZ-FE.

Yeah, those engines should be pretty cheap to come by. Post up some pics when you make a decision! :D
2009-04-05, 11:12 PM #10
Almost right. 92-93 Camrys had the 3VZ-FE. 91 still had the 2VZ-FE. From 94+ they switched to the 1MZ-FE.

Yeah, those engines should be pretty cheap to come by. Post up some pics when you make a decision! :D

Ah, ok. The free one is a V6 from a '92 Camry wagon, so it's a pretty safe bet it's a 3VZ! CL link
woot!
2009-04-05, 11:17 PM #11
Yup, it will be (unless he listed the year wrong or something). You can't beat free. Even if you decide to go another route, you could always sell it. Nice find.
2009-04-05, 11:25 PM #12
Yup, it will be (unless he listed the year wrong or something). You can't beat free. Even if you decide to go another route, you could always sell it. Nice find.

I was pretty happy to see that it was in a garage...was kinda expecting "it's been sitting in my yard for a while, come take it".

I wonder how much it'd cost to build one of these to rev to 8k. Cams, valves and valve springs?
woot!
2009-04-06, 7:32 AM #13
I say stick with the one you have, make it better. stronger. faster. smarter.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-04-06, 8:31 AM #14
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
I say stick with the one you have, make it better. stronger. faster. smarter.

Oh, I wouldn't sell mine, don't you worry.. :XD:

I'm actually working on mine now (well, not now 'cause it's raining). It will be :awesome: when I'm done!
woot!
2009-04-06, 11:13 AM #15
My roommate said to go for it.

It is pretty tempting...
woot!
2009-04-06, 11:33 AM #16
C'mon now JLee, just do a 2JZ-GTE swap and call it a day =D
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-04-06, 11:44 AM #17
Originally posted by Onimusha:
C'mon now JLee, just do a 2JZ-GTE swap and call it a day =D

It won't fit. .(
woot!
2009-04-07, 12:01 AM #18
I'm not sure what you'd need to get these to rev to 8k, but I think what you said sounds about right, and you'd definitely needs some fuel management (piggyback or otherwise). Of course, revving that high doesn't mean anything if it can't make power in that range. From what Toysrme said, sounds like forced induction is the best route. Toyotas in general seems to cater towards boost & torque. Of course if you want high revs, you could always toss a beams 3SGE from the IS300 overseas. Good luck wiring/tuning that nightmare :P

2JZ swap, haha... right.

In summary: If the 3VZ is sound and free, go for it. It'll be fun, and pretty quick even in stock form.
2009-04-07, 12:06 AM #19
Buy a Honda and you'll be asking how to get it to rev up to 10k
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-04-07, 12:09 AM #20
Yeah, the 3VZ runs out of steam bad at high RPM (with stock cams). It sounds so good, though!

If I was going to do a 3SGE, I might as well toss the 'T' in there too..but I already have one of those. :P I'd like to build a NA car, but I like torque...so a 4banger isn't really high on my list.
woot!
2009-04-07, 12:09 AM #21
Originally posted by zanardi:
Buy a Honda and you'll be asking how to get it to rev up to 10k

Buy a Honda and I'd be going WTF happened to my torque?
woot!
2009-04-07, 12:12 AM #22
:(

yeah then you gotta start throwing out your back seats and interior
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-04-07, 12:17 AM #23
Originally posted by zanardi:
:(

yeah then you gotta start throwing out your back seats and interior

back seats?

wat?

:ninja:
woot!
2009-04-07, 12:34 AM #24
Damn that 3VZ does sound good. I was expecting a pissed off weed whacker and became pleasantly suprised.

It's all in the exhaust though. Props to you for avoiding the foldgers cans.
-Martyn
2009-04-07, 12:40 AM #25
Originally posted by Onimusha:
Damn that 3VZ does sound good. I was expecting a pissed off weed whacker and became pleasantly suprised.

It's all in the exhaust though. Props to you for avoiding the foldgers cans.

Having the right engine helps, too. Have you heard the one I have already? I replaced this with this. Much better. :)
woot!
2009-04-07, 9:40 AM #26
Good job ditching the Snorks snorkle. I never did like those things.
2009-04-07, 9:41 AM #27
Good job ditching the Snorks snorkle. I never did like those things.

Sold it to fund the next one. Found a guy in MA with an extra turbo tranny kicking around, so I'll probably end up doing a 5sp swap so the car is drivable, and then rebuilding the free V6 to stuff in there later.
woot!
2009-04-07, 10:09 AM #28
Having the right engine helps, too. Have you heard the one I have already? I replaced this with this. Much better. :)

I love dual exhaust on that car. Thats a great setup!
-Martyn

↑ Up to the top!