Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → pirates hijack US ship.
pirates hijack US ship.
2009-04-08, 8:58 AM #1
so apparently a US flagged cargo was hijacked by Somali pirates >>>LINK
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-04-08, 9:05 AM #2
SOMALIS ARE AT IT AGAIN.

JOB WELL-

Wait, Somalis who got a job done?
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-04-08, 9:10 AM #3
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-04-08, 9:11 AM #4
I wonder if they sailed in on a coupla sea turtles, savvy?
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-04-08, 9:22 AM #5
AYE!!! sea turtles...
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-04-08, 9:26 AM #6
I don't see how this happens. Don't they ride up on a couple of speed raft boats? Why isn't there at least a few armed guards on a cargo ship? I mean the typical cargo ship's payload is likely worth enough to warrant a few armed guards.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-04-08, 9:34 AM #7
Apparently the crew regained control of the ship.
2009-04-08, 10:01 AM #8
Originally posted by SiliconC:
Apparently the crew regained control of the ship.

AMERICA **** YEAH! :hist101:
2009-04-08, 10:02 AM #9
i thought the ship was polish?
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-04-08, 10:03 AM #10
Why would pirates steal a ship to polish it. D:
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-04-08, 10:07 AM #11
they wanted to polish the mast!!!! :o
2009-04-08, 10:08 AM #12
Originally posted by Ruthven:
i thought the ship was polish?

it was a polish owned ship but flying under a U.S. flag and had an american crew.
2009-04-08, 11:13 AM #13
Just checked CNN and MSNBC. The captain is still being held hostage.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-04-08, 11:27 AM #14
they should keep ninjas on the ship... or better yet

VIKINGS
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-04-08, 11:39 AM #15
You know what would have prevented this? Guns. The "do whatever they want and hope they let you live" mentality these days is pretty ridiculous.
Warhead[97]
2009-04-08, 11:59 AM #16
Originally posted by Darth_Alran:
AMERICA **** YEAH! :hist101:

I lol'd.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-04-08, 3:39 PM #17
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
You know what would have prevented this? Guns. The "do whatever they want and hope they let you live" mentality these days is pretty ridiculous.

Yeah! Then the captain wouldn't be held hostage, he'd be dead. Pass the savings onto the company though so its all ok.

o.0
2009-04-08, 3:41 PM #18
Quote:
Yeah! Then the captain wouldn't be held hostage, he'd be dead. Pass the savings onto the company though so its all ok.

I believe that statement to be a stream of bull****.

If the ships crew was armed and trained for pirate situations, I'm sure they could easily overpower a group of untrained somali's with AK's. Its not like navy seals are hijacking the ship :rolleyes:
-Martyn
2009-04-08, 3:47 PM #19
[edit]onimusha beat me to it[/edit]
2009-04-08, 3:53 PM #20
Originally posted by Onimusha:
If the ships crew was armed and trained for pirate situations, I'm sure they could easily overpower a group of untrained somali's with AK's.

For some reason this strikes me as one of the most awesome sentences I've read in a long time.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-04-08, 4:03 PM #21

If the ships crew was armed and trained for pirate situations, I'm sure they could easily overpower a group of untrained somali's with AK's. Its not like navy seals are hijacking the ship :rolleyes:

Aside from the fact that 'untrained somalis with AKs' are still very dangerous, even to people who make a career out of this sort of thing, it's not that simple. These pirates do have RPGs, and who knows what other weapons they could get their hands on. They have the connections and the resources to play your short-sighted arms race game.
2009-04-08, 4:11 PM #22
Originally posted by Connection Problem:
Aside from the fact that 'untrained somalis with AKs' are still very dangerous, even to people who make a career out of this sort of thing, it's not that simple. These pirates do have RPGs, and who knows what other weapons they could get their hands on. They have the connections and the resources to play your short-sighted arms race game.

A few mounted M60s on a cargo ship are pretty dangerous too.

:ninja:
woot!
2009-04-08, 4:18 PM #23
That also ^
-Martyn
2009-04-08, 5:11 PM #24
Haha, my favourite passage
Quote:
The pirates were armed with Kalashnikov assault rifles, while the freighter's crew carried no weapons, Quinn said. The crew locked themselves in the compartment that contains the ship's steering gear, where they remained for about 12 hours.

The pirates "got frustrated because they couldn't find us," he said.

I totally want to play hide and seek with those guys.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-04-08, 5:12 PM #25

Actually, I think a couple of these would pretty much end the argument decisively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_Avenger
2009-04-08, 5:17 PM #26
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Actually, I think a couple of these would pretty much end the argument pretty decisively.

:awesome:
woot!
2009-04-08, 5:20 PM #27
Actually, I think a couple of these would pretty much end the argument pretty decisively.

Manned by whom exactly? These are cargo ships, a boat full of FedEx guys verses Somalis grown up in decades of civil war.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-04-08, 5:44 PM #28
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Manned by whom exactly? These are cargo ships, a boat full of FedEx guys verses Somalis grown up in decades of civil war.

Something like that couldn't be manned. It would have to be controlled remotely by a computer, which probably wouldn't be too difficult.

I think the real issue is that ports would be a bit leery of so many weapons that can fire 30mm ammo at 70 rounds per second. That could probably put quite a dent in a WWII era destroyer. Those things can do incredible amounts of damage.
2009-04-08, 5:55 PM #29
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:

My guess is that there simply aren't enough incidents of piracy nowadays for a shipping company to believe that arming its crews is cost-effective.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-04-08, 7:16 PM #30
Something like that couldn't be manned. It would have to be controlled remotely by a computer, which probably wouldn't be too difficult.

I think the real issue is that ports would be a bit leery of so many weapons that can fire 30mm ammo at 70 rounds per second. That could probably put quite a dent in a WWII era destroyer. Those things can do incredible amounts of damage.

considering the thing is meant to turn tanks into swiss cheese...
2009-04-08, 7:50 PM #31
Quote:
Sure, but think back 200 years. The pirates carried weapons then too. That didn't stop owners of cargo vessels from putting cannon on their ships to deter them.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-04-08, 8:15 PM #32
Good point, We should put old black powder cannons on ships.
2009-04-08, 8:47 PM #33

This is the kind of bull**** attitude that is wrong with America now days. America is becoming a country where people just sit back -- take what comes to them. A country of apathy. Where is that passion to defend our rights and property?
2009-04-08, 9:04 PM #34
Originally posted by ELITE WARRIOR:
This is the kind of bull**** attitude that is wrong with America now days. America is becoming a country where people just sit back -- take what comes to you. A country of apathy. Where is that passion to defend our rights and property?

Sadly, a lot of people can be walked over today. Looks like americans are becoming push overs now.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-04-08, 9:05 PM #35
Complain when they invade someone, complain when they don't invade someone...
2009-04-08, 9:07 PM #36
Invading has nothing to do with it. I'm saying arm the crew.. nothing to do with invading Somalia.
2009-04-08, 9:12 PM #37
Originally posted by ELITE WARRIOR:
Invading has nothing to do with it. I'm saying arm the crew.. nothing to do with invading Somalia.

except you are training them for something that occurrs in very few places in the world, and doesnt even happen to every ship.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2009-04-08, 9:24 PM #38
Originally posted by alpha1:
except you are training them for something that occurrs in very few places in the world, and doesnt even happen to every ship.

Well the ships that go through these areas should be well prepared.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-04-08, 9:39 PM #39

protip: cargo ships carry small crews, who already have jobs. Guns and customs DO NOT mix. Especially military grade weaponry. Mercenaries aren't a viable solution from what I have heard(youknow, from people who manage shipping companies)

o.0
2009-04-08, 9:45 PM #40
Ahh... I forget that allowing armed crews would in turn allow those 'less satisfactory' shipping companies peddle their drugs -- with armed personnel to boot.

↑ Up to the top!