Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Good pop-up blocker for Firefox
Good pop-up blocker for Firefox
2009-04-10, 4:56 PM #1
For a while I've been using Ad-block plus that someone recommended here, but lately it hasn't been keeping up with what I assume are new techniques to do pop-ups and I'm starting to get a lot of them on forums, news sites, ect. Does anyone know of a great pop up blocker?
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2009-04-10, 5:11 PM #2
Are you sure the built-in one hasn't somehow become disabled?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-04-10, 5:31 PM #3
I get few popups with FF.

Granted, it's not 100% elimination, but it's good enough for me.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-04-10, 5:36 PM #4
That's really weird. I honestly don't remember the last time I got a popup in FF. Then again, I run NoScript on whitelist too :tinfoil: (but that would probably be inconvenient/annoying for most people)
一个大西瓜
2009-04-10, 5:43 PM #5
naw, I love NS. It just takes a couple seconds each time you visit a new website.
2009-04-10, 6:18 PM #6
No, it's not disabled and pop-ups happen pretty frequently. Enough so that it bothers me. No one has any ideas?
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2009-04-10, 6:21 PM #7
Have you scanned for malware/adware?
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2009-04-10, 6:57 PM #8
Set up Ad-Block Plus properly, with a subscription list or two.

I also use NoScript so I can whitelist sites' javascript, for an additional level of protection.

2009-04-10, 10:08 PM #9
Opera.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-04-11, 12:18 AM #10
Really? Opera is a new extension for Firefox that blocks pop-ups? Way to be not helpful at all.
Pissed Off?
2009-04-11, 2:49 AM #11
hahaha :XD:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-04-11, 7:06 AM #12
I just use AB+, and for the rare sites that have figured out how to circumvent it they open in new tabs. If I'm not lazy I track down the script and use AB to block it. Also, Element Hider is a nice add-on to AB.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-04-11, 10:19 AM #13
Really? Your ignorant enough to not realize I am implying to switch to a more efficient browser?

You have no reading comprehension skillat all.
-Martyn
2009-04-11, 10:21 AM #14
Originally posted by Onimusha:
Really? Your ignorant enough to not realize I am implying to switch to a more efficient browser?

I use skillats to fry my eggs. :neckbeard:
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-04-11, 11:53 AM #15

No, see I did get your post, completely. I'd have thought the last sentence in mine would be enough to imply that, but apparently I needed to be more specific for you. I'll keep that in mind next time.
Pissed Off?
2009-04-11, 12:49 PM #16
oni, take a look at avenger's post count. he's posted roughly 20 times more than you have, and is quite pleasant with everyone here

but you, with just 5% of his post count, piss people off regularly.

just a thought.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2009-04-11, 12:50 PM #17
Weird, I never get popups in Firefox and I'm using absolutely nothing apart from the built-in blocker.

Also, what FauxESC said.
nope.
2009-04-11, 5:21 PM #18
Quote:
with just 5% of his post count, piss people off regularly.

Well since some elitist moron usually gives me 5 posts of **** for every one of my posts, being a dick, I'm finding, is an effective means of countering.
-Martyn
2009-04-11, 5:32 PM #19
:huh:

You tend to come across as a dick and/or completely wrong and then you get more pissed off any time someone tries to correct what you say.

:confused:
nope.
2009-04-11, 5:34 PM #20
Sure.
-Martyn
2009-04-12, 2:04 AM #21
Well since some elitist moron usually gives me 5 posts of **** for every one of my posts, being a dick, I'm finding, is an effective means of countering.

You keep thinking that.

Maybe if you start making useful posts, people will stop giving you ****.
Pissed Off?
2009-04-13, 2:28 AM #22
I came here to post Opera, I was beaten to the punch.
Wassup fellow Opera buddy?
2009-04-13, 8:52 AM #23
Are you talking about real popups that go in new windows/tabs or are you talking about floating boxes that block the page content? The latter, it's probably not a real popup but rather a css/js technique to emulate a popup (but more annoying). I get those every so often but not enough to really annoy me. What sites are these on?
2009-04-13, 9:13 AM #24
They all suck and deserve to die! ABP and NoScript FTW.

2009-04-13, 10:39 AM #25
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
I came here to post Opera, I was beaten to the punch.
Wassup fellow Opera buddy?

Originally posted by Avenger:
Really? Opera is a new extension for Firefox that blocks pop-ups? Way to be not helpful at all.

Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!