Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dragonball Movie
Dragonball Movie
2009-04-11, 3:49 AM #1
Now it's spring break and I need stuff to do.
Is this movie worth $13?

2009-04-11, 7:02 AM #2
It's not worth the time watching the trailer.
2009-04-11, 12:51 PM #3
I'm not sure I'd pay $13 to see any film just the once.
nope.
2009-04-11, 1:16 PM #4
$13?! Yea that's crazy. Only big city I've seen a movie in was Chicago and still wasn't anywhere near that.
2009-04-11, 3:46 PM #5
It's like $11.25 depending on the theater here I think. Student is $9-10ish.
一个大西瓜
2009-04-11, 3:55 PM #6
about £12 at the local cinema here, it's cheaper in other parts of London but that's offset by the cost of travel.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-04-11, 4:07 PM #7
I haven't even heard anything about whether its good or not and I still think its a dollar theater movie. :p
Life is beautiful.
2009-04-11, 4:11 PM #8
Tickets in Liverpool are all around the £6 mark, student prices more like £5 (that's both the Odeon and the Fact cinemas). And I still thought they were fairly expensive. Although it took the piss when I saw the Odeon charging £12 for a small drink and hotdog, which was supposed to be a "combo" price or some such crap.

Oh, and no. No, it won't be worth that much to watch a Dragonball film.
2009-04-11, 5:24 PM #9
£5-6 here.

And yes, food is rediculously expensive.
nope.
2009-04-11, 7:57 PM #10
Ew, Goku is white.
and muscular at all

2009-04-11, 9:57 PM #11
No. Its not.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-04-12, 12:03 AM #12
11$?

Wtf? 7$ at Cineplex, a.k.a the best theater here.

Anyway, if you're expecting to see a movie that follows it's source material - you're going to hate it. They changed quite a bit of the story.

Personally, I want to see it. I'm just curious as to what it's like. I've heard the fight scenes were pretty good and that the effects weren't too bad. B movie basically.

I think people should stop jumping at a conclusion just because it was based off an anime and has a heavily altered storyline.

I'm just going to approach it without any expectations, who knows, I might like it.
2009-04-12, 1:11 PM #13
I wouldn't watch this movie even while taking a dump.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-04-12, 1:13 PM #14
Even the preview I saw on TV looked like absolute ****
2009-04-12, 4:06 PM #15
And I just read that the script for the next one is apparently already done...
Life is beautiful.
2009-04-12, 4:26 PM #16
apparently it's not based on the anime, it's based on the original manga
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-04-12, 4:50 PM #17
Suck based on suck is bound to suck.
2009-04-12, 5:05 PM #18
I don't know how anyone could make a movie from a TV series that took an entire season to charge up a single power.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-04-12, 5:11 PM #19
[http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/acharjay/imdbdragonball.png]
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2009-04-12, 7:19 PM #20
Friend I work with saw it yesterday. She's a big DBZ fan. She set her expectations bar at zero and came out not feeling ripped off, but it was a B Movie for sure.
2009-04-12, 7:29 PM #21
I will Netflix this when it comes out and that way I don't feel like I'm wasting my money
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2009-04-12, 8:20 PM #22
Originally posted by Detty:
apparently it's not based on the anime, it's based on the original manga

The anime is based on the manga, just with ridiculous amounts of filler.

This movie is not even remotely like the manga or the anime, and on top of the terrible storyline, it's plain bad.
2009-04-12, 8:22 PM #23
Dragonball Evolution is to DBZ as The Super Mario Brothers movie was to the Mario series. Need I say more?
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-04-12, 9:46 PM #24
Dragonball Z is crap.

Mario brothers is not crap.

Crap based on crap is going to be crap!
2009-04-12, 9:56 PM #25
The Mario Bros Movie is bad enough that it's enjoyable when watched drunk.

With hardly any real substance to work with (Mario plot...?), I think the director thought about it after the first scene, grabbed a drink, then just went "f*** it" and viola, SMB movie.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-04-12, 11:32 PM #26
Quote:
Dragonball Evolution is to DBZ as The Super Mario Brothers movie was to the Mario series.

I concur.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-04-12, 11:48 PM #27
As a projectionist who at times gets paid to watch movies, I still have not wasted my time watching DB: E, if that's any indication.
2009-04-13, 9:31 AM #28
If you ignore EVERYTHING you know about the Manga and the anime and just watch it for a kung-fu fantasy type movie, it's a decent B movie.

Script was horrible and had ALOT of plot holes and some scenes didn't even make sense (one minute they are trapped in a 20ft deep pit, find a dragon ball on the other side of the rock wall with their radar and drill into it, then suddenly they are in this GIANT valley of lava and fire...

The final "battle" with Goku and the green guy was really lame

I'm the demon monkey thing! WRAR! i'll just kill roshi now!.... wait. i'm better then this, I'm goku, I'm not evil. hey I'm human again, I'll get you green guy for making me kill Roshi!

wha?

Just... dam it was dumb. It had it's moments, I kinda liked the scene where goku makes the bullies fight themselves by just dodging their attacks and makes the one guy trash his own car, it was humorous.

but so was the acting... and his wish at the end... my first thought was... why use your wish to bring back roshi, or JUST roshi... why not your murdered grandfather as well? c'mon, your being selfish by bringing back your master, why not make it complete by bringing back your dead grandfather too. I mean he only met his master like... 7 days before the final battle.

the effects how ever lame they were used were neat though, and at least Roshi tried to grab some *** here and there.

I also didn't pay for it though. I went to see a diffrent movie and when it was done my friend (who is a projectionist there) found me and asked if I wanted to stay after close for a screening. (they have to run the movies the night before opening night to make sure the reel is built properly anyway) so i was like, sure.
The Gas Station
2009-04-13, 12:30 PM #29
Thanks, Grant. His name is Piccolo btw :P

Btw guys, it's not supposed to based on DBZ, you morons. It's based on DragonBall, you know, the original series, before DBZ? Yeah. That one.

God you guys can be stupid >.<

Still gonna watch it. I like laughing at how bad movies are. :P
2009-04-13, 2:11 PM #30
Suck and SuckZ both suck an equal amount. I fail to see how it's a big difference.
2009-04-14, 2:24 AM #31
Originally posted by Grant:
If you ignore EVERYTHING you know about the Manga and the anime and just watch it for a kung-fu fantasy type movie, it's a decent B movie.

Script was horrible and had ALOT of plot holes and some scenes didn't even make sense (one minute they are trapped in a 20ft deep pit, find a dragon ball on the other side of the rock wall with their radar and drill into it, then suddenly they are in this GIANT valley of lava and fire...

The final "battle" with Goku and the green guy was really lame

I'm the demon monkey thing! WRAR! i'll just kill roshi now!.... wait. i'm better then this, I'm goku, I'm not evil. hey I'm human again, I'll get you green guy for making me kill Roshi!

wha?

Just... dam it was dumb. It had it's moments, I kinda liked the scene where goku makes the bullies fight themselves by just dodging their attacks and makes the one guy trash his own car, it was humorous.

but so was the acting... and his wish at the end... my first thought was... why use your wish to bring back roshi, or JUST roshi... why not your murdered grandfather as well? c'mon, your being selfish by bringing back your master, why not make it complete by bringing back your dead grandfather too. I mean he only met his master like... 7 days before the final battle.

the effects how ever lame they were used were neat though, and at least Roshi tried to grab some *** here and there.

I also didn't pay for it though. I went to see a diffrent movie and when it was done my friend (who is a projectionist there) found me and asked if I wanted to stay after close for a screening. (they have to run the movies the night before opening night to make sure the reel is built properly anyway) so i was like, sure.

OMG... THAT SOUNDS LIKE A PURE 100% ****FEST. THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE WORSE CARTOON TO MOVIE ADAPTATION OF ALL TIMES. It makes the Super Mario Brothers movie sound superior.

I'm probably still gonna see it.

Stay tuned for the SF GOLD G RANT REVIEW (NOT FEATURING DB:E)
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-04-14, 4:00 AM #32
Originally posted by Xzero:

Btw guys, it's not supposed to based on DBZ, you morons. It's based on DragonBall, you know, the original series, before DBZ? Yeah. That one.

Sardonic comments aside, I'm watching Dragonball now (on episode 146/153) and the trailer appears to be nothing like Dragonball, much less DBZ.
2009-04-14, 4:21 AM #33

I hope you realize how unlike dragonball it is. Hell, it even flopped in the asian countries, where everying db related has been instant success.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-04-14, 5:30 AM #34
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
Stay tuned for the SF GOLD G RANT REVIEW (NOT FEATURING DB:E)

I didn't think this movie could get any worse. I was just proven wrong.

Do not want.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-04-14, 6:50 AM #35

Yeah, and it's absolutely nothing like Dragonball's storyline, like already said.
2009-04-14, 2:09 PM #36
I watched it. I enjoyed.

My DB crazed friends watched it. They enjoyed it.

It wasn't too unlike the manga. It had differences, of course, but it was a lot more like it's source than I was expecting it to be.

In any case, I'm the oddball here. Who cares. Arguing my opinion with you guys is like trying to convince Hitler that killing jews was wrong. It's not going to happen (both because he was stubborn and because he's dead.)
2009-04-14, 3:28 PM #37
Many of us are open to ideas and opinions.
Besides, the point of a forum is to convey such things and discuss them, no?
I think you're the one being pig-headed here, especially since you IMMEDIATELY jumped to 'the hitler defense'
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-04-14, 5:06 PM #38
Originally posted by Deadman:
Many of us are open to ideas and opinions.
Besides, the point of a forum is to convey such things and discuss them, no?
I think you're the one being pig-headed here, especially since you IMMEDIATELY jumped to 'the hitler defense'

Haha.

Discussing a movie is one thing, but bashing it without having seen it (or knowing what it's based on, see below) is completely different.

Besides, I never stated that it was accurate to it's source. I simply stated that it wasn't based on DBZ, but the original Dragonball, and that those who were dumb enough to mistaken the two were idiots for bashing the movie for it's different plot, all the while comparing it to the wrong source material.

Also, I'd just like to state that the actors who played Bulma and Yamcha were absolutely horrid. Justin was great, felt really natural, but those two were sickening. They even brought down the other actors, who were otherwise doing fine. If there's a reason I hated this movie, it was them. If you're someone who hates bad acting (or acting any worse than Hayden Christensen in Jumper (which I thought was ok btw)), then for the love of god, do NOT see the movie. You will cry. I guarantee it.

PS: ' the hitler defense', as you put it, was a joke. Everyone always laughs about how the people here can't respect opinions. Lighten up a bit :P
2009-04-14, 5:29 PM #39
There is nothing wrong with employing godwinns law for humorous effect. I tend to get a chuckle out of it.
2009-04-14, 5:40 PM #40
...15%
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.

↑ Up to the top!