Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Troubles with SBX
Troubles with SBX
2009-04-14, 10:17 AM #1
Ok, perhaps this isn't the correct forum to be posting in, but all the other ones seem pretty dead.

At any rate, I recently re-installed Dark Forces 2 (CLASSIC!) and I remembered Saber Battles X being a really fun mod. At any rate, it's working fine, except that it will crash my game when I try to load a save, even if I had SBX running when that save was made.

Basically, if I want to use it, I'll have to play the game straight through without ever stopping. Not exactly feasible :P

Therefore, I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if they knew of a solution? Thanks a bunch in advance!

-Ooga Booga
2009-04-14, 10:19 AM #2
Can't answer your question, but I will say welcome to Massassi! It's always good to see new members.
2009-04-14, 12:29 PM #3
Try reinstalling JK but keeping your saves. You never know.

I had a crashing problem with SBX when it came to loading keyboard profiles. So it doesn't sound out of the ordinary for me.

Give it a shot, let us know if it worked.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-04-14, 1:24 PM #4
2 SBX threads in 2 days wow
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-04-14, 4:11 PM #5
Bah, it was a good suggestion, but no reinstalling didn't work :( Thanks for the welcome guys and thanks for trying. Not sure what I'm gonna do now. Unless there's another suggestion, I'll have to play a vanilla version of the game hehe. Thanks again for the input.

-Ooga Booga
2009-04-14, 10:03 PM #6
Does it do it with all versions of SBX?
-Martyn
2009-04-14, 10:12 PM #7
Saving and loading with mods has long been a problem with JK. I'm not sure if anyone ever figured out exactly why or how to fix it.

Even if there is a way to fix it, it would require extensive modification of SBX itself. So basically, there's nothing you can do.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-04-14, 10:25 PM #8
Inb4 witch hunt.
2009-04-15, 5:43 AM #9
My SBX savegames do work. The trick is to save with the lightsaber on. If I remember correctly, JK will crash if you load a savegame where your lightsaber is off.

Check out the SBX readme, I think the issue is mentioned.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2009-04-15, 5:58 AM #10
Yup, if there is anybody that knows about SBX, it would definitely be JoS.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-04-15, 7:04 AM #11
That's an interesting idea. I've been playing with SBX on in the first 3 levels before you get the saber, but I've gotten to the 4th level by now on just vanilla. I'll have to try turning SBX on now that I have my saber. Thanks for the input everyone, I'll give it a try.

On another note, does anyone still play online anymore (with SBX or without)? It'd be fun to get back into online play occasionally for old times sake :D

Thanks guys!

-Ooga Booga
2009-04-15, 8:23 AM #12
No good. Saving and loading with the saber out has no effect :( I even tried turning on SBX, starting a new game and just skipping the first 3 levels with a cheat code to get to the point where I have a saber.

I'll try out that idea of using an older version and let you know if that works. Man this is frustrating ><

-Ooga Booga

Edit: Well I can get SBX v2.0 to work, but it crashes when I SAVE now AAAAAH!! However I can quicksave without it crashing and it will still load any save when I restart the game...so I guess I'll just have to be picky about when I save my game ><

Still, it would be nice to be able to get v3.0 or v3.1 to work, or to be able to ****ing save AND load without it always crashing, so if anyone has additional suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the input so far guys.
2009-04-15, 8:51 AM #13
I thought about Canyon Oasis while playing TF2 and have wanted to do some deathmatch pretty badly. I'd be up for SBX if I can get some Deathmatch as well.

I recall someone saying we can get JK working on Vista now? Can someone tell me how?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-04-15, 9:34 AM #14
It will work on Vista, here is one solution...

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/158631-jedi-knight-dark-forces-2-vista-x64.html

and a fix for the Menu screen...

Make the GUI windowed. The actual game (where you're in 3D) will still be full screen, but the GUI (save screen, load, etc.) will be windowed and will therefore display correctly. To do this:
1. Create a shortcut to JK.exe from your Jedi Knight directory.
2. Right click, and select properties for your shortcut.
3. Add '-windowGUI' to the end of the Target box (outside of the quotes). For me I have '"C:\Games\LucasArts\Jedi Knight\JK.EXE" -windowGUI'

i do not nor ever will use Vista so i have not tested these...just found them in research.

It does appear to work but not in high rez.
2009-04-15, 10:19 AM #15
Quote:
i do not nor ever will use Vista

-enter CM-

I'll play with someone today if you'd like. I'm unoccupied until 9pm so just let me know a time, and what mods/levels to use. I'm really itching for SS3 but sbx would be excellent as well.

Some levels I'd recommend would be Heart of Forest, Island Ruins, and Ice Arena. Galactic locations is also a pack of win for SBX.

BTW make sure you have the unofficial patch.

EDIT: If I could get my JK to stop crashing every 5 seconds.
-Martyn
2009-04-15, 11:08 AM #16
Well it crashes out any time I enable 3d acceleration modded or unmodded.

Reinstalled drivers and still have the same issue. This is on a different computer then the one giving me a headache currently also. Nvidia 6600.
-Martyn
2009-04-15, 12:19 PM #17
That's weird, who is the manufacture of the card? My 6600 played JK fine, it even had 3d accel. options that like, my voodoo3 didn't have when I first got JK
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-04-15, 1:23 PM #18
Pull out fists before you save.

Never save in a Dark Jedi level.
2009-04-15, 1:52 PM #19
Apparently CM (or someone?) couldn't get 3D working on Vista either.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-04-15, 3:48 PM #20
Manufacturer is just Nvidia. Thats all it says on it.
-Martyn
2009-04-15, 4:38 PM #21
Erm... hold on. Are you trying to load old savegames (regular non-modded JK) in SBX?
That won't work.

You should be able to load savegames you made in SBX, though.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2009-04-15, 5:04 PM #22
Pull out fists before you save.

Never save in a Dark Jedi level.

You try this yet?
2009-04-15, 5:49 PM #23
Aye, thanks. Saving with fists out USUALLY keeps it from crashing :) So I've pretty much got version 2.0 going strong. Still haven't figured out how to make 3.0 or 3.1 work, but I can live without them. Thanks for everyone's input!

-Ooga booga

P.S. to answer your question JoS, I've been trying to load SBX saves not vanilla saves. No matter what, v3.0 and v3.1 crash. However, v2.0 is working fine, except it will crash if I save with anything but my fists out.
2009-04-15, 7:07 PM #24
I have never had problems with unmodded saves.
With mods it's a cluster****.
2009-04-15, 7:23 PM #25
SBX 2.0 doesn't have a custom fist cogs, while the others do.

That may be the problem. Find a weapon that has no modified cogs and it should theoretically work. If not, that's odd.

Never had any problems saving with SBX before. Saving with Fists usually worked.

↑ Up to the top!