Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → John Madden Retires
John Madden Retires
2009-04-16, 11:04 AM #1
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/04/16/madden.retires/index.html

Now see, if Madden wants to retire from the National Football League, he has to stop going to work. If he keeps going to work, he won't be retired and will still be working. But if he stops going to work everyday, then he'll be retired. THAT is what Madden needs to do in order to retire from the Nation Football League.
2009-04-16, 11:06 AM #2
[quote=John Madden from article]"I'm 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and their five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I'm home and, more importantly, when I'm not."[/quote]

Oh you, John Madden.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-04-16, 11:07 AM #3
Should have been Tony Kornheiser.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-04-16, 11:25 AM #4
About time
2009-04-16, 11:27 AM #5
Its about time (but well earned), I still find it crazy that he would drive everywhere because he had a fear of flying.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-04-16, 11:53 AM #6
Attachment: 21735/Clipboard02.jpg (127,461 bytes)
2009-04-16, 11:55 AM #7
[http://www.parrygamepreserve.com/images/journal/maddenTurducken3_M.jpg]
nope.
2009-04-16, 12:40 PM #8
He retired only because Favre is finally retired.

Lets hope this means Frank Caliendo is done too.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2009-04-16, 12:41 PM #9
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:

Also, this.
2009-04-16, 12:46 PM #10
He drove everywhere?
That sucks
2009-04-16, 1:05 PM #11
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
He drove everywhere?
That sucks

He traveled around in a tour bus, practically lived on the road during football season.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-04-16, 1:22 PM #12
BOOM
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-04-16, 2:24 PM #13
Now, ya see, the reason he retired is that he wants to have time to spend with his family. If he spends time with his family, then he isn't working because he's retired. Being retired, he has no work to do, and then he can figure out what he wants to do with his free time, and he'll probably spend time with his family since he's retired and has no work to do.
2009-04-16, 3:44 PM #14
You guys are too much.

The reason he traveled on a tour bus is that I heard that he's afraid of flying. Because you see, driving to him is less frightening than traveling by plane. But if he travels by plane, he's going to be very scared so that's why he sticks to traveling on his tour bus.
2009-04-16, 3:47 PM #15
Makes sense!

I'm not a huge fan of flying.
nope.
2009-04-16, 4:08 PM #16
Well my point was not, "Wow! Someone is scared of flying" A friend of mine doesn't fly.

... She also has not been traveling back and forth across the country for a living.
*shrugs* just seems like a really lame thing to do. People should conquer their fears.

I just know, my personality is I wouldn't let someone like fear make me ride a bus for 10 extra hours.
2009-04-16, 4:11 PM #17
Personally I'd think the bus would be more comfortable anyway.
nope.
2009-04-16, 4:13 PM #18
SiliconC and Cloud: WIN
Everyone else: FAIL
2009-04-16, 6:57 PM #19
turducken
2009-04-16, 9:07 PM #20
Originally posted by llibja:
turducken

cue eff tee
2009-04-16, 9:46 PM #21
Matt Millen should have been his replacement. :colbert:
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-04-16, 9:57 PM #22
Has anyone actually eaten turducken?
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-04-16, 11:21 PM #23
Originally posted by dalf:
Matt Millen should have been his replacement. :colbert:

I know you're joking, but the thought of this happening still makes my head hurt. Matt Millen should be fired from his current job. Matt Millen should be fired in advance from every future job he will ever hold. I was going to end this post with an "I wouldn't hire Matt Millen to X," but every hypothetical job I could think of that I'd actually pay someone to do was too complex to adequately make my point about how incompetent Matt Millen is.
2009-04-16, 11:27 PM #24
Originally posted by Onimusha:
Has anyone actually eaten turducken?

I wish ...
I never heard of them till like 2 years ago ..
I't totally love to partake in devouring one.
2009-04-17, 1:29 AM #25
I've never eaten duck >.>
-Martyn
2009-04-17, 5:52 AM #26
You should try it, its nice.
nope.
2009-04-17, 7:04 AM #27
I can only hope they stop making his crappy football games that retards buy when as soon as you crack the plastic seal on them, it becomes more worthless than something you leave in the toilet after a big meal.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-04-17, 7:32 AM #28
^^ 09 was decent, 10 is looking to be pretty good >.>
2009-04-17, 9:00 AM #29
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
I can only hope they stop making his crappy football games that retards buy when as soon as you crack the plastic seal on them, it becomes more worthless than something you leave in the toilet after a big meal.

You think EA are going to stop a Franchise just because a bloke retires?

Colin McRae games still have his name on them, and he's dead.
nope.
2009-04-17, 10:32 AM #30
Quote:

They're a step above wrestling games. You've got to give them that.

Quote:
You should try it, its nice.

I want to, but its always damn expensive.
-Martyn
2009-04-17, 4:33 PM #31
EA released a statement saying that they will continue to brand their football game as Madden despite Madden's retirement.
2009-04-17, 4:44 PM #32
The argument about people buying essentially the same game every year is fair, but the Madden games are very good football games. They ought to be, with all the practice EA has had.
2009-04-17, 6:12 PM #33
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:

You're just pissed that you keep getting schooled in Madden.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-04-17, 8:58 PM #34
[John Madden] Well, you see, you got this announcer, a-a-and he's getting up there in years. And he's an announcer. And he's been doing that for years. And he's getting older. And older people are gonna want to retire. So this announcer, HE'S gonna want to retire. A-A-A-n-n-d th-th-that's what's gonna happen. [/John Madden]
2009-04-17, 9:54 PM #35
i wanted to post a video from Little Giants. alas, i failed :(
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-04-17, 11:16 PM #36

He's awful and he;s not even a legimate analyst. All he does is crack horrible jokes. There is no way NBC would have put him on Sunday Night Football. Never mind that he works for another network, thank god. Collinsworth is awesome.
Pissed Off?
2009-04-19, 1:15 AM #37
Originally posted by Avenger:
He's awful and he;s not even a legimate analyst. All he does is crack horrible jokes. There is no way NBC would have put him on Sunday Night Football. Never mind that he works for another network, thank god. Collinsworth is awesome.

I dont think he's done a game without a joke about his fantasy football team. Ugh.

Also, every single game, "If I were a writer coming up with a headline right now, it would be..." THEN GO BACK TO WRITING FFS.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2009-04-19, 9:50 AM #38
Yeah, don't get me wrong I love Kornheiser in the PTI setting, as well as his old radio show....but him on MNF is pretty god damn terrible.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2009-04-19, 3:34 PM #39
The argument about people buying essentially the same game every year is fair, but the Madden games are very good football games. They ought to be, with all the practice EA has had.

I wouldn't really say the argument is fair. There are gameplay tweaks that can affect the gameplay heavily, as least that's what I can say about the NBA 2K series. This is comparable to a fighting game where to the average Joe the game seems to be the same (ignorant fools who say Street Fighter IV is the same as Street Fighter II), but the more hardcore fanbase realize that the gameplay is quite different due to frame tweaks, priority tweaks, etc.
2009-04-19, 7:06 PM #40
Originally posted by Cloud:
I wouldn't really say the argument is fair. There are gameplay tweaks that can affect the gameplay heavily, as least that's what I can say about the NBA 2K series. This is comparable to a fighting game where to the average Joe the game seems to be the same (ignorant fools who say Street Fighter IV is the same as Street Fighter II), but the more hardcore fanbase realize that the gameplay is quite different due to frame tweaks, priority tweaks, etc.

I'm pretty sure I've got chat logs of an EA Tiburon dev saying that they pretty much just add more pixels every time.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.

↑ Up to the top!