Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → ftp program
ftp program
2009-04-16, 12:05 PM #1
Whats a good ftp program thats free? dont need ot do anything complicated, just something to upload/download some files.
The tips at the end of shoelaces are called "aglets". Their true purpose is sinister.
2009-04-16, 12:23 PM #2
Filezilla.
2009-04-16, 12:29 PM #3
Originally posted by Alco:
Filezilla.

This.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-04-16, 1:06 PM #4
I like WinSCP (Windows) or Cyberduck (Mac).
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-04-16, 1:13 PM #5
Whatever happened with dropbox? Wasn't it supposed to be the next best ftp?
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-04-16, 1:21 PM #6
I also use Filezilla, and their server version
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-04-16, 2:38 PM #7
Originally posted by Alco:
Filezilla.

+1
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-04-16, 2:45 PM #8
Originally posted by Onimusha:
Whatever happened with dropbox? Wasn't it supposed to be the next best ftp?

Huh? I use Dropbox, but it's not supposed to be an FTP client or replacement or whatever. It's just an online syncing tool (think SyncToy but through the internet instead of physical mediums).

Anyways, I'll add +1 for FileZilla. I use WinSCP for work because, well, they use SCP rather than FTP. I find it kinda slow/clunky, though, and I'd be using FileZilla if it supported SCP.
一个大西瓜
2009-04-16, 3:02 PM #9
FileZilla.
2009-04-16, 3:21 PM #10
Oh. I was under the impression that dropbox was a filehosting type of gig.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-04-16, 3:28 PM #11
Originally posted by JM:
FileZilla.

+10
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-04-16, 3:39 PM #12
Originally posted by Onimusha:
Oh. I was under the impression that dropbox was a filehosting type of gig.

Well, it is insofar as you can let other people download files in your sync folder (and you can use it as an online storage vault for yuor files), but you can't access it via FTP nor is there an Dropbox-sponsored FTP client or whatever.
一个大西瓜
2009-04-16, 4:12 PM #13
WinSCP > All

I can't stand FileZilla, and WinSCP is rather fast. Any speed issues you have are probably related to the fact that it was using SCP which is inherently slower than FTP as a protocol (it's encrypting after all).
2009-04-16, 7:50 PM #14
I had nothing but trouble when I used WinSCP. That's why I use FileZilla now.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-04-16, 8:28 PM #15
For most people, the up bandwidth on their connection is the bottleneck, not the client or protocol.
2009-04-16, 8:32 PM #16
When I say slow I don't mean slow in uploading (which would clearly be bandwith-related), I mean it's unresponsive. Like, when I open a folder LOCALLY (not on the remote server), there's like a half-second delay for apparently no reason (whereas explorer and FileZilla and every other program on the computer doesn't have a problem traversing the filesystem). On the remote server, the delay is even longer (up to a second) -- some of that is attributed to having to fetch a directory listing, but it shouldn't take that long. It also becomes "unresponsive" (Not Responding in windows) when logging in for a brief period of time. And then there are just some other little quirks like how if I multiple-select files I can't deselect them just by clicking an unselected file (which is standard Explorer behavior).

CM is right about SCP taking longer than FTP, but for whatever reason when I run WinSCP even the FTP is more sluggish (per my description above) than using FileZilla (or even the FireFTP extension in firefox, which itself is pretty clunky).
一个大西瓜
2009-04-17, 8:31 AM #17
WS_FTP is what I've always used in the past. You can probably still find the free version too.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2009-04-17, 11:00 AM #18
I usually use WinSCP just because I only use SFTP and SCP, however for super convenience I use ExpanDrive since it mounts the remote drive AND is fairly good at keeping the connection persistent and fast.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-04-17, 12:10 PM #19
Last time I used WS_FTP (which was a few years ago) it left little anoying log-files wherever you uploaded a file. Does it still do that?
Sorry for the lousy German
2009-04-17, 12:24 PM #20
You can turn them off but yeah.. I hated WS_FTP but that's me
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-04-18, 3:35 AM #21
The noises used to annoy me when I was wearing my (no volume adjustment) headset. It does the job though? Filezilla is probably better, though never used it so wouldn't know!
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.

↑ Up to the top!