Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Susan Boyle, Singer
Susan Boyle, Singer
2009-04-17, 3:40 PM #1
I'm sure many have heard about this over the news or simply mouth to ear. I for one am generally not a fan of these kind of shows, or tv reality and the likes, but I heard tell of this Susan Boyle.

My god, my jaw dropped. What an amazing singer hiding beneath that shell. I just felt my heart glow listening to that. I think this is a name we're likely to hear again.

So if anyone's not seen this, by all means, it is a must see, you wont believe your ears.

Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-04-17, 3:45 PM #2
she's attractive for a brit
:master::master::master:
2009-04-17, 3:45 PM #3
I mean... she's not THAT phenomenal of a singer... it's neat, but the only thing that makes this seem so 'magical' is that she's kinda ugly... if she was attractive, no one would think anything of it, because her 'inner beauty' (pretty good singing voice) wouldn't be shining through... i dunno, adversity? (being homely).
2009-04-17, 3:46 PM #4
Plus this magical moment of realization of true inner beauty and talent wasn't some bombshell, this kind of moment is handpicked to make the show more successful.
2009-04-17, 3:50 PM #5
Probably very true. Had some pretty girl gone up there and sang this it wouldn't have hit home in the same way. Still I personally do think that her voice and skill is phenomenal regardless of looks.

It remains that it was a very enchanting scene to watch.

But yes, more than likely handpicked, produced, what have you.
2009-04-17, 3:53 PM #6
I'll agree with that. The part of it that bothers me, I guess, is that dude on the left: "That was the biggest surprise I've ever blah blah blah..."

Basically flat out stating that he expected poor singing because she was unattractive.
2009-04-17, 3:58 PM #7
Yea they pretty much made it obvious it that in their minds UGLY, SIMPLE, WOMAN = FAIL.

Albeit the whole hip thrust thing during the original introduction about her age did make her seem very corny and quite unlikely.
2009-04-17, 3:58 PM #8
Originally posted by saberopus:
I'll agree with that. The part of it that bothers me, I guess, is that dude on the left: "That was the biggest surprise I've ever blah blah blah..."

Basically flat out stating that he expected poor singing because she was unattractive.

I think it was more her horrible speaking voice. I'm sure her looks played a part there, but she sounds like death scratching over broken glass when she speaks.

I should clarify, the brash cockney is what I'm referring to.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-04-17, 4:07 PM #9
Originally posted by Yecti:
I think it was more her horrible speaking voice. I'm sure her looks played a part there, but she sounds like death scratching over broken glass when she speaks.

Yea, I was expecting her to start singing a pirate song, honestly, because of her accent.
2009-04-17, 4:16 PM #10

I was amazed by her prestation on Brits Got Talent... but this one is amazing too. Her voice, her singing power, is very appealing to my ears and musical sense, even without the enchanting fluffy wuffy drama from BGT
2009-04-17, 4:31 PM #11
Originally posted by stat:

i'm gonna give your mom AIDS
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-04-17, 4:33 PM #12

Now you know how we feel when we hear a whiney American accent.
She's scottish, and its a lovely accent. Bathgate is near where i used to live
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-04-17, 4:55 PM #13
The other part of it is her age.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-04-17, 5:07 PM #14
i was more of a fan of this girl

I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-04-17, 5:39 PM #15
Originally posted by Ruthven:
She's scottish, and its a lovely accent. Bathgate is near where i used to live

Last I checked, most people from Bathgate don't sound like they're from the west coast.

And where the hell did you used to live? Blackburn is only 8 miles from here. :huh:

Also yes, that's how we feel when we hear squeaky American voices.
nope.
2009-04-17, 5:39 PM #16
I saw the Susan Boyle bit on another forum, and yeah, she killed it. Amazing.

And I'm somewhat jealous that the mix between the music and vocals for BGT is 1000% better than the mix they're delivering for American Idol.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-04-17, 5:46 PM #17
Originally posted by andreawesome:
i was more of a fan of this girl

I just looked up some of her videos and pieces, she is a very adorable young girl and her soft little voice was just spot on with the notes. I really liked it. And her take on Whitney Houston's I will always love you is just breathtaking (excluding a little trouble the with the highest pitches)
2009-04-17, 6:09 PM #18
that girl is creepy
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-04-17, 6:42 PM #19
That Susan Boyle bit was made to be EXTREMELY cheesy, I don't think I've even seen Americans pull off such magnitude of cheese in reality TV, that was just wince worthy. Not that it was her fault or anything.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-04-17, 7:10 PM #20
Originally posted by Krokodile:
That Susan Boyle bit was made to be EXTREMELY cheesy, I don't think I've even seen Americans pull off such magnitude of cheese in reality TV, that was just wince worthy. Not that it was her fault or anything.

Britons are much more superficial than Americans.
:master::master::master:
2009-04-17, 7:11 PM #21
Quote:
british people are so ugly. Seriously, just look at that crowd.

Gotta love youtube comments.

Also, what's with relating looks to singing ability. She is a charming little motherly character, I'm not surprised all.
2009-04-18, 12:13 PM #22

Hold the phone, I missed the cockney comment earlier.

Cockney accents sound nothing like that, and they're from the East End of London. Not only is that 400 miles away, it's in a different country. :huh:
nope.
2009-04-18, 4:44 PM #23
Originally posted by stat:

You sir, have made me lulz!
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-04-19, 12:05 AM #24
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Hold the phone, I missed the cockney comment earlier.

Cockney accents sound nothing like that, and they're from the East End of London. Not only is that 400 miles away, it's in a different country. :huh:

I'm American. I don't have to know your silly European dialects to know that they all sound like the Chicago El rolling over a crate full of kittens with rabies. :colbert:
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-04-19, 12:08 AM #25
...i sadly know what that sounds like yecti well...minus the rabies
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-04-19, 2:42 AM #26
Originally posted by Ruthven:

:huh: Are you referring to the sound of our voices or the words we choose?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-04-19, 3:02 AM #27
Originally posted by Emon:
:huh: Are you referring to the sound of our voices or the words we choose?

actually i was referring to a certain asian-american female stalker whos voice settled at 3 octaves above C. If Grismaths accent is the norm, then damn, American men's accents are well sexy like.
Code:
  do her}
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}

↑ Up to the top!