Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Scotty's transparent aluminium
Scotty's transparent aluminium
2004-08-23, 5:07 AM #1
http://science.slashdot.org/science/04/08/23/1141217.shtml?tid=14

mwahahhahaa [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
(star trek 4 is *now* hehe)

(and before anyone bashes me for "misspelling" the word commonly known as "aluminum" please check a dictionary. aluminium is correct =P)

------------------
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-08-23, 5:41 AM #2
pretty cool
but will it conduct electricity?

------------------
What happens when you cast heal on the undead?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-08-23, 6:16 AM #3
Sweet [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: Scions of Light
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-08-23, 7:50 AM #4
I once loved aluminium, and now I love you.

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-08-23, 8:05 AM #5
i would assume so, Genki... i mean, it is a metal, after all.

it's time to watch star trek 4 again...

------------------
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-08-23, 8:23 AM #6
This is actually kind of funny because we joke around at work that many of the "design challenges" we face could be fixed if we just had transparent aluminum.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and before anyone bashes me for "misspelling" the word commonly known as "aluminum" please check a dictionary. aluminium is correct =P</font>

You should also check that Britsh-English dictionary you're using for the word gullible, as you won't find it in their either. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] Aluminum is the correct spelling in the US. Aluminium is the correct spelling in the UK.
"Good Asian dubs are like Steven Segal and plot; they just dont appear in the same movie." -Spork
2004-08-23, 8:28 AM #7
"Hello computer."
"Just use the keyboard."
"Ah. A keyboard. How quaint."

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-08-23, 9:16 AM #8
I thought the Germans had already made transparent aluminum last year...

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.

[This message has been edited by Roach (edited August 23, 2004).]
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-23, 12:42 PM #9
Yah, well, I invented transparent silicon!

Okay, maybe I didn't invent it... but I use it all the time.

------------------
"The interesting thing about video games is the way you can take about 50 shotgun blasts to the head and be instantly healed by a little white box with a cross on it."
Stuff
2004-08-23, 12:50 PM #10
Pfft, I'm still waiting for them to make one-way transparent ceramic.

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-23, 4:54 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kyle90:
Yah, well, I invented transparent silicon!

Okay, maybe I didn't invent it... but I use it all the time.
</font>

Transparent elemental silicon?

------------------
This Space Intentionally Left Blank.
This Space Intentionally Left Blank.
2004-08-23, 7:07 PM #12
It's not aluminum, it's alumina, which is aluminum oxide. And combined with other metal oxides. Yeah, it's a ceramic, not a metal.

Good news is could be casted into any form and aluminum oxide happens to be one of the hardest materials known. A good three times stronger than hardened steel too.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited August 23, 2004).]
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-24, 4:08 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
It's not aluminum, it's alumina, which is aluminum oxide. And combined with other metal oxides. Yeah, it's a ceramic, not a metal.

Good news is could be casted into any form and aluminum oxide happens to be one of the hardest materials known. A good three times stronger than hardened steel too.

</font>

Should be some damn hard glass then. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and free your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;

↑ Up to the top!