Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Disgusting...
Disgusting...
2004-08-23, 7:52 PM #1
I was just watching the olympic gymnastics and it was Paul Hamms turn...the crowd started booing him! I couldn't believe it...such disgusting immature hatred over nothing. It took a russian gymnast who was in first place gesturing the crowd to stop booing. It's not Hamm's fault the judges messed up...sure he could give it up, but Im sure he's not the only one who has a say in that and I bet he has alot of pressure on him to keep it. The crowd should be ashamed.

------------------
"If there's one thing I've learned it's this - you just can't shake hands with a fist" - David Allen Coe
2004-08-23, 7:57 PM #2
The Russian gymnast wasn't in first place; that's what they were booing about. He's a classy guy and really got screwed by the judges, and, through no fault of his own, Hamm's score knocked him off the podium. Definitely doesn't excuse the crowd's behavior, though. That was shameful.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02

[This message has been edited by Michael MacFarlane (edited August 23, 2004).]
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-08-23, 8:06 PM #3
Agreed. It always seemed that the judges pretty much score all around the landing. Hamm's performance was good, that Italian guy's was better, but the Russian guy, I forget his name, did an incredible performance. I couldn't give a **** about the landing, everything else was so amazing he could have fell on his *** .

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-23, 8:35 PM #4
I saw that happen. The Russian gymnists routine was much more impressive and complicated than Hamms. He should have gotten the gold, imo. The crowd should feel ashamed too, that was just uncalled for.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-23, 8:53 PM #5
meh, people get too worked up over sports.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-23, 8:57 PM #6
hmm yeah as a matter of fact I wasted really that disgusted but it pissed me off quite a bit.

Does anyone else think Paul Hamm looks like the Joe schmo guy from Joe Schmo 2??? It's creepy.

------------------
"If there's one thing I've learned it's this - you just can't shake hands with a fist" - David Allen Coe
2004-08-23, 9:20 PM #7
Don't jump to conclusions. The crowd wasn't booing at the appearance of Paul Hamm. They were still booing, five minutes later, following the relatively crappy points meted out to the Russian by the jury. I don't know if your commentators realised or informed the audience of that.

Had the judges for instances given something like 8.9's to 9.4's to Paul Hamm for an evidently superior/crowdpleasing performance, the audience would've reacted in precisely the same manner.

------------------
Worth a million in prizes, baby.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-08-24, 3:02 AM #8
I thought the Italian's performance was the most impressive, he deserved the gold.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-24, 4:05 AM #9
Paul Hamm is a good example that the old sportsmanship of the Olympics is going down the crapper.
2004-08-24, 4:22 AM #10
what happened?

[w00t, 3k posts]

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-08-24, 5:16 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:

</font>

Well, this is more than an average sports game. It's international. :/

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (I don't know why I have this still in my sig)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-24, 5:19 AM #12
Sports... hahahahahahaha.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-08-24, 5:49 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:

</font>

Booing at an athlete because some judges made a mistake?

Yeah, just a little...

------------------
Kill Your Idols!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-08-24, 6:15 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Raoul Duke:
I was just watching the olympic gymnastics and it was Paul Hamms turn...the crowd started booing him! I couldn't believe it...such disgusting immature hatred over nothing.
</font>

They were not booing Paul Hamm, and in fact applauded him once his routine was over (although that seized once he got his score). The whole deal was not about athletes as much as it was about the judges, who have scored awkardly throughout the tournament. Yes, the ordeal was uncalled for, but the crowd was just waiting to explode at some point over the incompetent scoring in the competition in general.

↑ Up to the top!