Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → DVD ripping
DVD ripping
2009-04-26, 7:51 AM #1
because I have a 1 tb hard drive sitting here with nothing to go on it, I would like to make backups of my DVD's. Suggest good methods to do this/good software (free if possible).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-04-26, 7:57 AM #2
winamp will do it
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-04-26, 7:57 AM #3
bah.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-04-26, 8:34 AM #4
roger's really bustin your balls
2009-04-26, 9:00 AM #5
http://www.doom9.org/
Stuff
2009-04-26, 10:11 AM #6
I use and love Magic DVD copier / ripper

Google it.
It's a trial, but it lasts pretty long. I copied at least 30 DVDs with it. After copier runs out, use ripper.
2009-04-26, 10:18 AM #7
best way to do it IMO is to rip the mpeg2 and DD or DTS audio streams without recompressing... but that eats alot of HD

the best compromise is to transcode the video to some h.264 based codec and rip the DD or DTS tracks without transcoding them
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-04-26, 10:31 AM #8
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
rip the DTS tracks without transcoding them

You can't do this, FYI. There's no way to get DTS into a MKV/AVI/etc. It's annoying as mad hell. You have to convert it to something else, like regular AAC 5.1, etc.
2009-04-26, 11:01 AM #9
yes there is... don't ask me how but i have seen mkv and avi files with dts streams
2009-04-26, 3:37 PM #10
RipIt4Me is the only thing that I've been using for the past 2ish years & it's worked for every single DVD that I've thrown at it. I have friends that use various other popular applications &/or methods & they're constantly complaining about how certain DVDs "can't be copied".
? :)
2009-04-26, 3:40 PM #11
If it's ok, can I jump in and ask a question?

What about burning to DVD? Any good freeware programs that can burn multiple formats to DVD? And failing that, any good/free converters? A lot of the ones I've found when searching are trial only, and watermark or otherwise **** with the output.
2009-04-26, 6:44 PM #12
I use a mix of DVD Decrypter, IMGBurn, DVDShrink, and usually Nero Recode if I want to burn an Xvid for instance to DVD
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-04-26, 6:55 PM #13
I like using mencoder but you need to configure it totally on the command line, which isn't easy since it has many many many options. There are frontend GUIs though.

The Windows mencoder has a serious bug where it can't play some chapters on some DVDs; the Linux version has no sych problems (get VM software or something).

HandBrake is also supposed to be good for general video encoding and it supports ripping from DVDs. I haven't tried it though.

2009-04-26, 7:02 PM #14
yes there is... don't ask me how but i have seen mkv and avi files with dts streams

I'm asking you how because I have never, ever seen this done nor have I ever seen a working guide for it anywhere. Ever. I have however, seen numerous people, including the folks at Handbrake, say that it is impossible.
2009-04-26, 10:38 PM #15
when someone says "don't ask me how" 98% of the time they mean they don't know HOW they just know it can be done because they have seen examples of such files

i've never searched for such information because the only DVD ripping i do is for the PSP and i use handbrake for that (now that i finally found out how to get handbrake to output a 480x272 video that works on the psp)
2009-04-26, 10:42 PM #16
when someone says "don't ask me how" 98% of the time they mean they don't know HOW they just know it can be done because they have seen examples of such files

I know that, I'm asking how because I'm calling BS on that.
2009-04-26, 10:52 PM #17
i clearly said i don't know how already... i just know some mkv files i had at one point contained DTS audio streams

this was confirmed by looking at the decoder info in AC3 Filter
2009-04-26, 11:01 PM #18
any good ones for mac?

2009-04-26, 11:04 PM #19
Isn't there a way you could copy the DVD image? I have seen dvd iso files in the past. If you wanted to play it on the computer, just mount the image with daemon tools or some other program.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-04-26, 11:06 PM #20
i'm pretty sure i've seen mkv with dts as well
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2009-04-26, 11:26 PM #21
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
Isn't there a way you could copy the DVD image? I have seen dvd iso files in the past. If you wanted to play it on the computer, just mount the image with daemon tools or some other program.

this is always possible but not always desirable due to file size

you can rip a DVD to h.264 with acceptable quality loss and have a file size of ~1-2GB
2009-04-27, 12:04 AM #22
Originally posted by TheNewKid:
any good ones for mac?

mactheripper to rip

handbrake to convert

plenty of choices for burning, so won't bore you.
2009-04-27, 12:22 AM #23
Yes, you can pack a dts into an mkv. A lot of 1080p rips are dts. mkv is a very universal container.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-04-27, 7:27 AM #24
As mentioned earlier, the Magic software line is good. I have the Magic CD/DVD Ripper/Copier and it works great. You can force it to encode into just about any res, with different audio channels, and probably any codec you can get an encoder for.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-04-27, 8:05 AM #25
i clearly said i don't know how already... i just know some mkv files i had at one point contained DTS audio streams

this was confirmed by looking at the decoder info in AC3 Filter

That confirms it wasn't a DTS stream, since AC3 is not DTS, can't be DTS, will never be DTS. AC3 is Dolby Digital ONLY, it's a synonym for DD. :eng101:
2009-04-27, 9:04 AM #26
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
That confirms it wasn't a DTS stream, since AC3 is not DTS, can't be DTS, will never be DTS. AC3 is Dolby Digital ONLY, it's a synonym for DD. :eng101:

boy you are dense... AC3 filter decodes both AC3 and DTS (and others too)

oh look.... DTS being decoded by AC3filter
Attachment: 21820/oh_look_DTS.png (164,335 bytes)

↑ Up to the top!