Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → City of Heroes is for losers
City of Heroes is for losers
2004-08-22, 7:46 AM #1
Now that I have the attention of all the CoH fans:
1. is it really that fun?
2. how much does it cost a month?
3. Does the lack of any PvP make is less entertaining?
4. Are the quests that interesting?
5. Do all the possible character creation options and powers make the game tedious?
6. Is the community full of douchebags?
7. At what point does the game get boring and redundant?
8. Which server should I join?
9. What are the system requirements?
10. Is it worth my money?

------------------
Debating politics on the internet is about as useful and productive as shoving a broomstick up your *** .

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited August 22, 2004).]
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-08-22, 7:58 AM #2
[http://charlesthejedi.homestead.com/files/flame_retard.gif]

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-08-22, 8:12 AM #3
*cough*FFXI*cough*

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-22, 8:21 AM #4
hehehe

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-22, 8:29 AM #5
CoH looks like it's loads of short-term fun. It doesn't seem to have the long-term character appeal of Everquest or Lineage, mind you.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-08-22, 8:30 AM #6
City of Heroes is amazing. I started playing it on my friends computer and was isntantly hooked. I stayed at his house for a week and a half, and over that time i only slept 4 or so hours each day...The rest was literally spent in front of the computer, playing nothing but that game.

1. Yes, it IS that fun. And more.
2. Costs 15 dollars a month canadian for my friend
3. No, you dont need to PvP to have fun.. THe enemies in the game will give you enough fun, as well as the Task Force missions, etc.
4. Yes, they are that interesting. The first 3 levels or so of each is repetitive, but after the first 3 in each quest (countless quests), the levels after are unique.
5. To me, this was the best part of the game. You can make any character you want pretty much, which allows ultimate freedom...Me likes that.
6. The community is completely nice. I never even seen someone swear or get angry at someone else. Basically, there is an already ruled out order. When someone makes a team, THEY are the captain, and no matter what level everyone else is (say the captain is level 12, and the members are lvl 20), they ALWAYS listen to the captain. There is little to no disrespect. And there are mods that patrol the streets as well.
7. Didnt get boring and redundant for me..And I played enough to get to level 16..
8. I dont think there are separate servers, I aint sure about this one.
9. You can google those, I'm not gonna do em all but I think you need at least a Pentium 800 MHZ processor and like, 256 MB RAM...?
10. HELL YES!
2004-08-22, 9:57 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
Now that I have the attention of all the CoH fans:
1. is it really that fun?
2. how much does it cost a month?
3. Does the lack of any PvP make is less entertaining?
4. Are the quests that interesting?
5. Do all the possible character creation options and powers make the game tedious?
6. Is the community full of douchebags?
7. At what point does the game get boring and redundant?
8. Which server should I join?
9. What are the system requirements?
10. Is it worth my money?

</font>

1. No. Maybe for 2 weeks.
2. A very expensive 15 bucks a month.
3. YES!
4. Quests? Um... what?
5. There are no more combinations than any other MMORPG.. There's rally not that many, and most people are the overpowered cookie-cutter builds anyway.
6. Not really. Not yet, anyway.
7. If you can last more than your free month, you're a masochist.
8. Probably Justice or Freedom.
9. Pretty damn low. I wouldn't even worry about it.
10. Not in my opinion. Just go play Morrowind or something.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-22, 10:29 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
*cough*FFXI*cough*

</font>

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-08-22, 12:44 PM #9
You can go on many quests in the game. You can choose to just fight random baddies, or you can go on a mission, where you can fight several different bosses.

There are also what they call "Task Forces", and these are large quests, in which the actual storyline of City of Heroes is based off of. You will get to fight the archvillains of the city, instead of the little small bosses. These task forces take somewhere between 3 to 6 hours to complete... SO you gotta have lots o time on yer hands where you can complete these. Oh and you get a nice little sexy powerup called the "Origin" power or something...cant quite remember, been a while since i played.... I had dreams about that game, I was so hooked. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
2004-08-22, 1:15 PM #10
Quote:
*cough*FFXI*cough*</font>

*coughhackgag*WoW*coughhackgag*
2004-08-22, 3:23 PM #11
You think THOSE are quests? If your idea of a quest is to kill all the enemies that are just standing there in clumps waiting to be killed in the SAME EXACT DUNGEON you just did your previous 10 "quests" in, then yes, I suppose it's a quest.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-22, 5:25 PM #12
Some of the quests are really cool. Yeah, most of them are cookie-cutter 'Kill all Rikti in lab' or something like that, but every so often you get one with a really interesting story line which will pull you in. Plus some inside missions do look really cool. I dunno if anyone else got up to the laboratory or Circle of Thorns city missions, but they do look pretty darn cool.

As for the questions:

1) Yeah, it's fun. There's the initial 'wow this game is fun' burst, then there's a bit of a grind till your character blooms (level 28 for me), then after that it's just fun fun fun.
2) $15 a month, first month free, credit card required.
3) Yes and no. PvP would be fun (and is coming), but there is a very large range of evildoers in the game already, and the only time you'll really get sick of killing the same thing over and over is during a 6+ hour (it happens if you have a bad team) Task Force.
4) See above. I prefer random killing myself. Taking on a huge mob of 10-15 +1 or +2 mobs is a challenge and fun.
5) Not at all. If you try you can get from level 1 to level 10 inside of a day, which will give you a very good of how that character is going to play. If you dont like it you can always re-roll, there's 8 character slots per server so there's heaps of room for experimentation. The different Archetypes also play really differently. Sometimes I play my Claws Scrapper when I just want to tear stuff to shreds solo, sometimes it's my Kinetics Defender when I'm in more of a teaming mood.
6) The community is mostly very good. The official forums a very enlightening and the devs are very active in them. Yeah not everyone is perfect, but there are a good 10 people on my Friends list I talk to regularly. The game is very team-orriented and finding a good team is sometimes a challenge, but hey that's what the 'quit team' button is for.
7) When you let it get boring and redundant. Mostly though, before you get your next power. Some power sets take ages to bloom, so it can be a grind sometimes. When they do bloom though... Yeah, it's fun. There's also a bit of a travel grind pre-level 14. Though once you do get them, the travel powers are awesome fun.
8) Justice. That's where I am.
9) Moderate. Dont bother if you have a very crappy net connection. From the bottom of the box the recommended (not minimum) specs are: 1.7ghz, 512 ram, 9600, broadband.
10) Well... I like it [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited August 22, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-22, 5:33 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mister_Sinister:
*coughhackgag*WoW*coughhackgag*</font>

When WoW comes out, I am canceling FFXI [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-22, 5:33 PM #14
Get it. Play it. Until WoW comes out. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Uruk Hai 1: *sniffs*
Uruk Hai 2: What do you smell!?
Uruk Hai 1: MANFLESH!
Proud Member of the Minnessassian Council
2004-08-22, 6:40 PM #15
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mister_Sinister:
*coughhackgag*WoW*coughhackgag*</font>

When WoW comes out, I am canceling FFXI [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

[/B]

Probally me too, I dunno if I can just give up a 42 RNG/NIN though ><

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-08-23, 1:34 AM #16
1. Yes
2. $15
3. Not really, PvP will arrive with CoV if you want it
4. Some are extremely fun, others are a bit annoying
5. Not in the slightest.
6. A very small percent could be gassed.
7. I hadnt reached it at level 35
8. Whichever you want - check the forums for each.
9. Not too high - will run okay at 1024x768 on a GeForce2/2000XP with only 256Mb RAM
10. Depends what sort of games you like

------------------
What would you trade for a soul?
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2004-08-23, 6:30 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
8) Justice. That's where I am.
</font>

Me too. Look up Drakonis(Mutant Scrapper) next time you are on.

------------------
Debating politics on the internet is about as useful and productive as shoving a broomstick up your *** .
2004-08-23, 6:46 AM #18
Heh, I swear almost everyone goes for a Scrapper out of the box. What sorta Scrapper?

My Claws/Regen Scrapper is Tabe, and Kinetics/Engergy Defender is Sy'phon. Add them to your friends list [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-23, 7:18 AM #19
I think I uninstalled it. It is fun, I just didnt have time to play it.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-08-23, 9:49 AM #20
I'm level 16 Blaster... Took me a week and a half just to get there... FLYING RULES!
2004-08-23, 11:07 AM #21
Ah.. looks like he went and did it. I tried to warn you, Kieran...

Also Spork, my first was a Tech FF/Psych Def, so don't look at me. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
2004-08-23, 1:54 PM #22
Deletes stuff from FF XI and plays city of heros.. Well I dont play my ps2 as much so hey :P

------------------
-- [url="mailto:Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com"]mailto:Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com[/url]Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com</A>--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
-- Jatso_jk1@hotmail.com--The Bounty Hunters Arc Forum--Firehound Inc.--
2004-08-23, 3:08 PM #23
*cough* Play Galaxies! *cough*

------------------
"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-08-23, 3:14 PM #24
Chewie he might as well slit his own wrists. It'll be just as fun.
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2004-08-23, 3:27 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
Heh, I swear almost everyone goes for a Scrapper out of the box. What sorta Scrapper?
</font>

Actually, my first character was an Assault Rifle Blaster. I learned that was a mistake early on.

------------------
2004-08-23, 3:39 PM #26
From the standpoint of 80% of the online community, that was the best choice, because it's the most overpowered archetype combination in the game.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
2004-08-23, 3:41 PM #27
Then why did I get my *** whooped constantly? Or was that just because I was beginning? Or are you talking about the scrapper?

------------------
2004-08-23, 3:47 PM #28
You're.. serious? Heh..
It's a bit of a late bloomer, but it's easily better than any scrapper from level 1 up. Are you starting from point blank range or what? Once you get caltrops, 95% of the mobs should never get within melee range, period. BTW, once you get smoke grenade at level 16, you don't have to worry about defense anymore. It effectively reduces your damage taken to 1-5%. The two last AoE attacks rifles gets are SICK. Full auto can kill 20 whites at a time.. just one attack. You've also got.. hmm.. flamethrower.. trip mine.. yeah, you're good to go. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer

[This message has been edited by Freelancer (edited August 23, 2004).]
2004-08-23, 4:38 PM #29
Maybe I'll try it again later on. But for now I'm going to work with my scrapper. I'm satisfied with it. Besides, I'm just learning.

------------------
2004-08-23, 4:57 PM #30
Fire/Devices is better than AR/Dev, Freelancer. AR is a massive End hog, I hate it. Oh, and the devs are nerfing smoke grenade next patch big time.

Scrappers but we last a hell of a lot longer than Blasters. I can stand in the middle of a group of mobs happily killing away while the Blaster on my team desperately runs in circles trying to avoid the one LT that broke away to go after him. Blasters do kick-*** damage compared to Scrappers, but apart from the soon to be nerfed smoke grenade their defence is zero. I wouldnt give up my Instant Healing for anything [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-23, 6:23 PM #31
I finally hit the grind. I can't find any Lost or the sec guard I'm supposed to to finish a mission, and all the teams I join just run around killing random low level baddies or have their head up their ***es. My new rule: No more than 4 people in my parties or parties I join. More than that, and they are just too chaotic.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited August 23, 2004).]
2004-08-23, 6:27 PM #32
I assume your Lost mission is in King's Row. If so, Lost spawn all along the southern boundary of the zone.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
2004-08-23, 7:42 PM #33
Also around the Refinery.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-23, 10:55 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
CoH looks like it's loads of short-term fun. It doesn't seem to have the long-term character appeal of Everquest or Lineage, mind you.</font>

Lineage and Lineage 2 don't have "long-term character appeal" they have "mindless, overtly hindered level grind".

------------------
http://www.jedilegacy.net/gonk/

[This message has been edited by Gonk (edited August 24, 2004).]
http://www.jedilegacy.net/gonk/
2004-08-24, 1:36 AM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gonk:
Lineage and Lineage 2 don't have "long-term character appeal" they have "mindless, overtly hindered level grind".

</font>

Yup.

------------------
-- Garrison Keeler
--Garrison Keillor
2004-08-24, 4:50 AM #36
People kept telling me that Lost were along the Eastern border. Couldn't find them. And now that I have that mission, it's like they all left the rooftops and Clockwork took their place.

------------------
2004-08-24, 7:07 AM #37
Clockwork are always on the rooftops. Along with CoTs in KR...

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-24, 7:19 AM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trigger Happy Chewie:
*cough* Play Galaxies! *cough*

</font>

Ouch, Galaxies bites

------------------