Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → PSP GO
PSP GO
2009-04-29, 8:22 PM #1
i'm getting one!

2009-04-29, 8:25 PM #2
http://www.livejournal.com

http://www.twitter.com
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-04-29, 8:29 PM #3
but i needed to share with everyone here~!

2009-04-29, 9:15 PM #4
this thread fails... at the very least ask us for game recommendations or ask about ripping DVDs for PSP playback... something actually worthy of it's own thread... as it is you could have just waited and posted a picture of the damn thing in the recent purchases thread
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-04-29, 9:23 PM #5
[mp3]http://www.aprilwinchell.com/media/audio/OBAMA_IGNORANT.mp3[/mp3]
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-04-29, 9:42 PM #6
Reccomendations:

Dark Alex firmware.

Snes9x emulator.

Dont brick it.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-04-29, 11:12 PM #7
Say what ya want about 4chan, the recommendation grids have not let me down for the most part.

[http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9301/1238986277931.jpg]
2009-04-30, 12:11 AM #8
Starwars lethal alliance is pretty damn awesome.

the force unleashed is also a very solid psp port.
-Martyn
2009-04-30, 12:30 AM #9
Daxter is also decent

and Resistance Retribution is quite good

also the untold legends games are somewhat enjoyable (if you liked the baldur's gate: dark alliance games or champions of norrath it's more of the same)
2009-04-30, 4:24 AM #10
Wipeouts.
nope.
2009-04-30, 5:19 AM #11
I have wanted a PSP since the first one. But because they release a new model almost every other year... whats the point? If I wanted my hardware to be one-upped that often I'd just buy a new PC every year.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-04-30, 9:52 AM #12
none of the new features directly affect gaming... in fact the 2000 is superior to the 3000 because the 3000's new screen has a pretty major issue

[http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7313/102108pspscreencomaro54.jpg]

not only does it have the same ghosting of the 1000 and 2000 it now has visible scanlines
2009-04-30, 10:04 AM #13
They claim there was a reason for that.

The new screen is essentially the old one turned sideways -_-
nope.
2009-04-30, 10:37 AM #14
Quote:
I have wanted a PSP since the first one. But because they release a new model almost every other year... whats the point? If I wanted my hardware to be one-upped that often I'd just buy a new PC every year.

They don't change the hardware really at all. Nothing substantial anyway. The only thing that changes is the firmware with each release, but if you run custom firmware that isnt an issue anyway.
-Martyn
2009-04-30, 10:57 AM #15
Originally posted by Onimusha:
They don't change the hardware really at all. Nothing substantial anyway. The only thing that changes is the firmware with each release, but if you run custom firmware that isnt an issue anyway.

the firmware is the same across all PSP hardware versions however some firmware options are disabled on certain hardware versions
2009-04-30, 11:13 AM #16
Not quite, well not at all.

If you buy an older PSP on ebay it comes loaded with V 1.50 firmware.

If you buy one currently I think they're up to 5.0 or higher.
-Martyn
2009-04-30, 11:14 AM #17
I have a 3000, and it's nowhere near as bad as screenshots make it look. When things are in motion, it's only noticeable if you're really trying to look for it. Still photos make it look awful because well, they're a still photo of one frame, which looks a lot different than the motion your eyes see. I like mine, and the screen is really nice and bright.
2009-04-30, 11:22 AM #18
I don't know if I would like the PSP Go. I don't want to download all of my games, hard copies are better. If something like steam ever existed for consoles, I would be against it, but since I never cared much for keeping PC game boxes, steam works great.

I <3 my game collection.
2009-04-30, 11:40 AM #19
Not quite, well not at all.

If you buy an older PSP on ebay it comes loaded with V 1.50 firmware.

If you buy one currently I think they're up to 5.0 or higher.

oh you meant the included firmware... well see the "out of the box" firmware changes based on manufacture date not model number... it's always the most current version when the unit is built so even if the PSP never had any hardware revisions new units would still ship with the latest firmware

my PSP-1001 had 2.something installed
2009-04-30, 11:48 AM #20
I know, I'm just saying thats really the only major change they make when they release new PSP's aside from being "slim". The whole screen nonsense is just retarded.

So in KOP's case, theres no reason not to buy one, its not like they're swapping processors and memory.
-Martyn
2009-04-30, 12:17 PM #21
Well one of them (i think it was the 1000 to 2000) did get a memory or processor upgrade, im 99% sure because i remember reading about how games load about 30% faster. As for the 2000-3000 change that was just a screen upgrade and a cosmetics touch up. The 3000-4000(Go?) will be a pretty substantial change if they eliminate the UMD drive, but to me that sounds like bad business, how many people may not have the means to download new games? Especially kids.
2009-04-30, 1:05 PM #22
I got mine specificially for homebrew honestly.
-Martyn
2009-04-30, 1:26 PM #23
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
Well one of them (i think it was the 1000 to 2000) did get a memory or processor upgrade, im 99% sure because i remember reading about how games load about 30% faster. As for the 2000-3000 change that was just a screen upgrade and a cosmetics touch up. The 3000-4000(Go?) will be a pretty substantial change if they eliminate the UMD drive, but to me that sounds like bad business, how many people may not have the means to download new games? Especially kids.

the 2000 got a memory upgrade (64MB instead of the 32MB in the 1000) it helped make the crappy web browser just a little less crappy (it's still a steaming pile of crap), it improved load times for games, and it allowed for skype support

the new PSP without UMD drive i suspect will be sold alongside the 3000 instead of replacing the 3000

i'd personally rather see the PSP keep the UMD drive and just make the damn memory sticks cheaper... for a 16GB card it's $80+ if the PSP used SD instead of MSPD you could easily get 16GB for $30-40
2009-04-30, 1:35 PM #24
I got mine specificially for homebrew honestly.

I have the original PSP. Can I run homebrew? I was fairly confused as to which firmware versions can be unlocked and which can't.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-04-30, 2:28 PM #25
Its easier to run homebrew with the original PSP so you're actually in luck. I have the original and the entire process took about 10 minutes.

Head over to the psp forums section at afterdawn.com, theres a ton of good information and whatever you can't find people will be quick to help out. Its been so long since I installed my firmware that I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to tell you the process, lest your PSP get bricked somehow.

Homebrew certainly isn't anything super magical, and there are quite a few snes/sega games that run like **** on the PSP, but theres also many that run great. Its a trial and error thing. Some people may get *****y about this, but since PSP games are almost never avaliable for rent anywhere, I download the games and demos to preview them before I make a decision on buying one. I find it very useful. Theres actually alot that can be done with the system through customization and tweaks.

You may need to upgrade your custom firmware according to how sony upgrades the official firmware. For example, vice city stories would not play on any firmware official or custom that was below 3.25. As games are released, its more and more common for sony to require a certain firmware for them in a vain attempt to stop homebrewers from being able to use their psps on newer titles. Almost all of the time there will be a new custom firmware following an official release, and the upgrade process is quite simple.

Quote:
i'd personally rather see the PSP keep the UMD drive and just make the damn memory sticks cheaper... for a 16GB card it's $80+ if the PSP used SD instead of MSPD you could easily get 16GB for $30-40

Ebay does wonders.
-Martyn
2009-04-30, 3:04 PM #26
Hmm. I've just checked and I have firmware version 3.03, and I found a site saying there's no way to hack this. :( Darn. I don't actually use my PSP for anything, if I could homebrew it it might become useful.

I've actually had more fun with games on my iPod touch. Doesn't exactly seem like hardcore gamer kit, but the iPod touch is actually a pretty sweet gaming device.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2009-04-30, 3:21 PM #27
Ebay does wonders.

i'd rather not get a "sony" or "sandisk" or "[brandhere]" card
2009-04-30, 5:49 PM #28
I never have problems with the band name cards I get. Don't know what your talking about.

Quote:
Hmm. I've just checked and I have firmware version 3.03, and I found a site saying there's no way to hack this. Darn. I don't actually use my PSP for anything, if I could homebrew it it might become useful.

They make downgraders for all versions of older firmware so you can start on v1.50, once you downgrade you can load up your custom firmware and from there the memory stick is the limit.
-Martyn
2009-04-30, 6:00 PM #29
I have Rain's Ultralite MMS creator, but I also need some sort of Pandora's Battery to make it boot the custom firmware. So I need to take some clippers and cut something off my battery. **** that, I'm not taking the chance that I might brick my PSP totally.
2009-04-30, 6:08 PM #30
Hm.. I don't ever remember having to do any of that for mine.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/459121

Pretty sure you can skip all that BS and just use this.
-Martyn
2009-04-30, 7:16 PM #31
I never have problems with the band name cards I get. Don't know what your talking about.

usually when someone says "brandnamehere" instead of just the brandname they mean fake... which is very common on ebay

not to mention i know some people who bought some 16GB "sony" MSPDs and ended up with 8GB sticks that said 16GB
2009-04-30, 8:17 PM #32
Hmm nvm

↑ Up to the top!