Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Attn camera genius people
Attn camera genius people
2009-04-29, 8:38 PM #1
What program should I use to convert raw (Nikon NEF) to jpg? I want to keep the specific shot info (aperture, shutter, etc) in the file. If the camera is shooting in jpg, I get all that stuff. If I shoot in raw and convert with Irfanview, it's gone.

halp!
woot!
2009-04-29, 8:40 PM #2
uh... photoshop? >_>

Ive been using lightroom to convert my RAW photos, but the photos I took are also in the Canon format (CR2). Ill look for you!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-04-29, 8:48 PM #3
You will only ever need irfanview for anything ever at all.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-04-29, 8:50 PM #4
It's a proprietary format, you're either going to have to find a specialized tool to convert and keep that info or use the proprietary tools Nikon provides. Yeah it sucks but reasons like those is why common formats like JPG exist in the first place. :v:

JediKirby he mentioned Irfanview. However he lost the metadata when he used it.

2009-04-29, 8:52 PM #5
Originally posted by JediKirby:
You will only ever need irfanview for anything ever at all.

Way to read.

There should be a Camera RAW converter though. I had to hunt through a few photography forums before I found one for Canon.

Hm... How about this? http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-04-29, 8:54 PM #6
I might have one on the CD that came with the camera - never installed that because I've always used Irfanview and a card reader.. :P
woot!
2009-04-29, 8:55 PM #7
JLee try this: http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

It's a GIMP plugin.

Also there's something called "Nikon Picture Project" that can convert to JPEG while saving the EXIF info. It might come on that CD.

2009-04-29, 8:57 PM #8
Make sure you're using the latest version, irfanview should do it without a hitch. If you're still having problems with meta data, maybe this?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-04-29, 8:57 PM #9
Quote:
Embed EXIF data - UFRaw can save the EXIF data to JPEG output for a few supported formats. These formats include Canon (CRW, CR2), Nikon (NEF),

:awesome: :awesome:

Thanks dude! Now to install Gimp...hah.

I just found this - hoping it'll let Explorer view all the info for the raw files like it does with jpg. Have to restart to complete installation, though, and I'm doing other stuff so it'll have to wait. :P
woot!
2009-04-30, 12:02 AM #10
The RAW format tends to be slightly different for each camera. Macs have native support for just about every format, but anything that can edit RAW is good because you can actually salvage bad photos
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-04-30, 3:44 PM #11
i reccomend if you can, converting to DNG. http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

read about it. its interesting.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-04-30, 3:51 PM #12
Originally posted by Ford:
i reccomend if you can, converting to DNG. http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

read about it. its interesting.

Great idea..I wonder if other programs will start supporting it as well - I'm not too keen on buying Photoshop right now..has been an expensive year.
woot!
2009-04-30, 3:53 PM #13
Originally posted by wikipedia:
Besides Adobe Photoshop, several other software programs provide read support, and sometimes write support, for DNG files including: ACDSee Photo Manager, Aperture, ExifTool, DBGallery, DigiKam (0.10)[14], FuturixImager, ImageMagick, IrfanView, Adobe Lightroom, SilverFast DC, The GIMP, VueScan, XnView.[15]

My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-04-30, 3:54 PM #14
woot.
woot!

↑ Up to the top!