Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So Hamm didn't actually win, eh?
So Hamm didn't actually win, eh?
2004-08-21, 6:27 AM #1
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,129634,00.html

What a goof-up.
2004-08-21, 7:57 AM #2
Mabey.
2004-08-21, 8:11 AM #3
Eh, it was bound to happen. I think it's kind of funny Hamm keeps the gold. South Korea's going to HATE us. XD

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-21, 8:17 AM #4
Oh well, they probably already hate us. Well at least there are no discrepancies over Carly Patterson's gold....
2004-08-21, 8:26 AM #5
Eh, we'd still lead in gold's. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-21, 8:29 AM #6
I'm rather curious as to why three judges were suspended (obviously because their scoring was off) and Hamm keeps his gold medal, while Germany lost 2 gold medals yesterday after France complained about the scores in a horse riding event and adjustments were made long after the end of the competition even though this article says the following: "The judges' marks have to be accepted as a final decision and cannot be changed."
2004-08-21, 8:30 AM #7
Probably because they're afraid of America getting pissed at them. Quite unfortunately. :| I don't agree with it, but it's not exactly like I can change it.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-21, 9:03 AM #8
The rules for arguing scoring and such probably varies from sport to sport

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-21, 9:09 AM #9
Avenger is right, the commenter on the TV here just said that gymnastics medals cannot be appealed over something like that. Obviously it's different for equestrian.

It would be a great show of decency for Hamn to give the gold medal to the Korean gymnast. I hope he does.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited August 21, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-21, 9:17 AM #10
It wasn't just France that appealed against the German equestrian result. It was Britain and the US too.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-21, 9:22 AM #11
Apparently, gymnastics is a lot like football in respect to changing scores.

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-08-21, 3:55 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
Apparently, gymnastics is a lot like football in respect to changing scores.

</font>

yah i had no idea

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are falling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP, as it becomes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of the staff.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-08-21, 3:59 PM #13
Well South Korea BETTER not hate us. If they want to live. North Korea's got nukes now, you know.
2004-08-21, 4:15 PM #14
The Olympics are going on?

Where the hell have I been? Not that I care about it though.

------------------
*Takes out his blaster and fires shots at the wall, the blastmarks leave the words "S-TROOPER WUZ 'ERE!!!"
2004-08-21, 4:19 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Well South Korea BETTER not hate us. If they want to live. North Korea's got nukes now, you know.</font>

Wow...just...wow.

Avenger, is that sarcasm in his post? I'd like to get the go-ahead to post a response, but I'm afraid his post might be sarcasm. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-21, 4:31 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roach:
Wow...just...wow.

Avenger, is that sarcasm in his post? I'd like to get the go-ahead to post a response, but I'm afraid his post might be sarcasm. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

</font>

Err...why are you asking avenger? As for that being sarcasm, I doubt it.

------------------
"If there's one thing I've learned it's this - you just can't shake hands with a fist" - David Allen Coe
2004-08-21, 4:33 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Eh, we'd still lead in gold's. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

</font>

Gold's what?

Ba-dum-PSHH!

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-21, 4:40 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Raoul Duke:
Err...why are you asking avenger? As for that being sarcasm, I doubt it.[/B]</font>

Avenger will understand the joke.

I have to leave, I'll respond to Obi's post later tonight.

------------------
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-21, 4:51 PM #19
As a rule, if it's coming from obi, he's probably being serious. If it's coming from anyone else, it's sarcasm.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-21, 4:53 PM #20
No, I'm just saying that it would be moronic for them to get mad at us now. I don't think that there's a whole lot besides us that Keeping NK from takeing SK. I would win because it has nukes, and because China would provie lots of unoffical help, like it did last time.
2004-08-21, 5:29 PM #21
i think one big reason is that the koreans didn't complain until a day or two after it was done, if they had complained right then, it might have gotten changed, but they took too long to bring it up, so they lost their chance

------------------
*landfish 'splodes*
7 of 14
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2004-08-21, 5:46 PM #22
What? I'm jsut saying that SK needs our presance politicaly. It's not like any countery could stand up aginst China on it's own. The US *might* be able to, but it would take a huge effort. Right now we still have the tech. edge, but they have over a billion people. I can't imageine them getting mad over this though. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif].
I think we need to let Japan re-arm. I worry that NK might start something and drag China in. That right there would be WW3. Major crap. And NK has those nukes...
2004-08-21, 6:11 PM #23
AFAIK, North Korea has ONE nuke. Also, just stop. While you're behind. And 6 feet under.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-21, 6:46 PM #24
Quote:
Avenger will understand the joke.

</font>

That I do. I'm not saying anything this time [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-22, 1:48 AM #25
Quote:
What? I'm jsut saying that SK needs our presance politicaly. It's not like any countery could stand up aginst China on it's own. The US *might* be able to, but it would take a huge effort. Right now we still have the tech. edge, but they have over a billion people. I can't imageine them getting mad over this though. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif].
I think we need to let Japan re-arm. I worry that NK might start something and drag China in. That right there would be WW3. Major crap. And NK has those nukes...
</font>

Right, so South Korea has no right to be upset that they were unfairly judged in a neutral international athletic (nothing to do with politics...) gathering/competition simply because they "owe" us for their freedom. Right, because of this, we can get away with even the littlest things that are unfair to them. That's the best damned position to take with a strong ally in a corner of the world where we have little presence. "Hey, little dude, give us your milk money or we'll let your neighbor pound your *** into the ground." We're not the mafia. We're the United States. We're supposed to represent freedom and justice.

WWIII? Hardly. I can't say the Chinese wouldn't risk a full-fledged war, their ideals of honor are different than the West's, but for the largest land force in the world, their logistics system is horrible. It would be a wonder if they could mobilize half their infantry. Their air force would do little aside from defense deep in the Chinese mainland, as the U.S. 7th Fleet would keep them from the shores until U.S.A.F. reinforcements could arrive in Alaska, Afghanistan, Japan, Guam, and South Korea. A few air strikes to key oil pipes and the destruction of a few poorly-planned dams would cripple a large number of their military forces, as their fuel sources would be reduced massively, and they'd need to redirect man-power to cleaning up from the floods. Their ability to strike at the U.S. would be limited at best. They may try to launch a massive hacker attack, they've been training people to do such a thing for a few years now. But that would be a huge risk. China depends on America, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan for their economic strength (China's Exports (2002): US ~21.5%, Japan ~14.9%, South Korea ~4.8%, Imports (2002): Japan 18.1%, Taiwan 12.8%, South Korea 9.7%, US 9.2%). A blow to any of those economies is a blow to their own. They need us for money. Their ICBMs are faulty, and those that would manage to launch, reenter and descend correctly would be barely capable of hitting our western shores. The Chinese themselves are aware of this, this is one of the main reasons Taiwan is a stalemate, China doesn't want to risk a massive war (though they realize America wouldn't risk thousands of casualties for the people of Taiwan either). Now then, not only would the U.S. be involved, the South Koreans most certainly would be. Their Marine Corps is world famous for ferocity. And their 14 million men they could gather in the defense of their nation is nothing to laugh at. They know the terrain. They've spent the past few decades in a stand off, they've been equipping themselves and training themselves for the ultimate defense. Taiwan has been in a pseudo arms race for two years now with China. They'd be willing to join the fight to gain their independence once and for all. Japan is on a leash, but it's only so strong. A war with China would most likely result in the U.S. allowing Japan to flex its military muscle. The Japanese have the technology and resources for nuclear weapons if needed, it wouldn't take long for them to develop their own make-shift arsenal. And the motivation would be there. Japan would be one of the main targets for any weapons launched from North Korea, and North Korea openly shared this after holding ballistic missile tests with flights that arched over Japanese airspace. China has too much to lose to allow North Korea drag it into a war with the U.S. and her Pacific allies. I could honestly see them doing nothing more than providing some unofficial support in the form of supply shipments and possibly training.

------------------
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-22, 1:53 AM #26
Obi, China could not handle any more than 2 of the US carrier battle groups.
2004-08-22, 7:54 AM #27
Quote:
[something]
</font>

Daaaaaaamn. He got served.

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-08-22, 8:34 AM #28
Its a just game. Get over it. Mishaps happen all the time. Wah freakin wah. I feel that South Korea will not hate us and we will not pull support from them over this stupid incident.

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"

[This message has been edited by Outlaw Torn (edited August 22, 2004).]
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-08-22, 8:34 AM #29
Wow! SK has 14 million men in their marine corps? Or was that us? Anyway, you didn't really understand what I'm trying to say. I’m trying to say that SK and the US are way too mature to get mad over a thing like a medal. It wasn't our influance either. It was just the way things are done. Any way, my post was in response to another post that I think I took the wrong way. It seems like I have herd some stuff about us not treating SK right or something. It's very beneficial for us to be in SK too just as it's beneficial for SK.

Thank you for actually taking the time to respond in a decent manor. Most of the time I just get insulted. As it turns out, I agree with you, I just was in a hurry and communicated poorly.

[This message has been edited by Obi_Kwiet (edited August 22, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Obi_Kwiet (edited August 22, 2004).]
2004-08-22, 8:44 AM #30
Quote:
</font>

Regarding Japanese rearm:

1) It has nothing to do with what we "let" them do. Japan has an anti-nuclear constitution and there are many political barriers within Japan to prevent them from proliferating.

2) There's a lot of literature out there that suggests that if Japan were to get nukes, it would encourage more proliferation specifically from China which would lead to China's enemies proliferating and would basically cause an Asian arms race. I don't know if I'd call an Asians arms race a good thing considering that it'd probably lead to large nuclear war.

But anyway, it always sucks when a judge or judges screw up at something like this.
2004-08-22, 9:15 AM #31
They singed some kind of a dumb anti arms treaty at the end of WW2. I know that it not up to us I was in a hurry. I mean the we should encourage them to re-arm.
An Asian arms race would be bad. Asians are very smart. They just were not very advanced by 1900's because of some religous thingy.
2004-08-22, 10:12 AM #32
Quote:
They singed some kind of a dumb anti arms treaty at the end of WW2. I know that it not up to us I was in a hurry. I mean the we should encourage them to re-arm.
An Asian arms race would be bad. Asians are very smart. They just were not very advanced by 1900's because of some religous thingy.
</font>

Wow. Just...wow. China's mistake was waiting too long to open their doors to foreign nations, and, when they did, they basically put up land for sale as nations established spheres of influence within the country. Add in things like massive political changes and you've got a recipe for a country that won't progress as quickly as their Japanese neighbors.

Japan has no reason to re-arm. South Korea and the U.S. stand between them and North Korea, who are the only real worry they have. They're very friendly with America and Europe, and I've little doubt that any of the countries would hesitate to aid them.

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-08-22, 10:48 AM #33
It was in the 1200's. More of a philosophy. They would have been more advanced than western civ. I think we should encourage Japan to have a hand in defending itself, though. We may not always be there for it.
2004-08-22, 12:57 PM #34
So in other words, you're saying you want more guns and more violence in Japan? Because you know that's exactly what would happen, right?

Guns are banned there for a REASON. Crime there is so low it's insane, compared to other countries.

You need to think a bit before you post.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-22, 1:54 PM #35
thats kind of crap that SK doesnt get the gold.

------------------
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
2004-08-22, 1:59 PM #36
I'd just like to throw this out there. The Japanese have decided that they want to increase not only their defense, but their offensive capabilities as well. As of next year, Japan will not only develop their own missile defense network, they want the U.S. to enter a pact so both nations freely exchange missile defense technology. They've taken a liking to the U.S.'s new pre-emptive strike policy, and feel their defense forces are inadequate to prevent hostile forces (such as terrorists groups, or North Korea (whom may be able to launch devastating attacks on the Japanese mainland before either South Korea or the U.S. could react in the near future)) from attacking Japan. They have a very nice outline of exactly what they want to do. I believe they plan on finishing the advancements in 2012.

------------------
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-23, 7:38 PM #37
A large percentage of South Koreans would already rather our troops just went home. I doubt this will change things much.

Back on topic:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
It would be a great show of decency for Hamn to give the gold medal to the Korean gymnast. I hope he does.</font>

That it would, and I'd like to think it's what I would do in such a situation. However, I don't think I could ask him to do it, or criticize him for not doing it.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-08-24, 11:06 AM #38
http://e107.shockzero.com/news.php

Yeah, read the first article.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!