Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → [tech] I solved my problem..just want to confirm something
[tech] I solved my problem..just want to confirm something
2009-05-03, 6:22 AM #1
For those of you who remember my dead video card thread--

I have an Antec 500w 'earthwatts', E5200 @ 3.38Ghz, 4Gb DDR2, Visiontek HD 4870, etc. etc.

Symptoms- garbled screen, resets- CCC says video driver has become unresponsive and was reset. A very short time after, lockup and messed up screen again.

I let it sit for a while, booted up again...ran for about 20min, then I got thin vertical black/white lines, lockup. Reboot, booted into windows, lost video. Reboot, POST beep, no video.

I ordered a 4650..installed it and after updating drivers, the system is working fine.

Now.., I'm guessing that the video card went..but I don't know why it would. I opened up the CCC status before it died the second time, and it showed a temp of 47c (or 46..but under 50), so it's not overheating. I wasn't pushing it hard, either- just Windows desktop..firefox/etc. I have not had any prior overheating issues with the card - it ran games beautifully.

I've been told it could be the power supply as well.., but I don't have another power-hungry video card to test it with. The 4650 doesn't require any power other than what it pulls through the PCIe slot.

So.., I'm going to try to RMA my card through Visiontek, but I haven't heard back from them so I'm not going to get my hopes up. Before I drop another ~$140 on another card, do you think there's any chance that the power supply is dying, or is it a safe bet that the video card is kaput?
woot!
2009-05-03, 6:59 AM #2
It could be an insufficient power supply. Tally the numbers and see. Most video cards will say "requires a XXXW power supply".

2009-05-03, 7:03 AM #3
Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
It could be an insufficient power supply. Tally the numbers and see. Most video cards will say "requires a XXXW power supply".

It had been running flawlessly for months prior..ATI recommends a 500w or better. I have a quality 500w, so I'd expect it to be okay if it's working properly..but unfortunately I don't have another high-power-draw card to try.
woot!
2009-05-03, 10:33 AM #4
I would replace the pwoer supply regardless. They aren't more then $30. In the end it would be $30 well spent before frying another 4870, you know?
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-05-03, 12:00 PM #5
Some applications (I think CPU-Z or Speedfan) can monitor the voltages being supplied to the motherboard, maybe you can monitor those for spikes, but that still wouldnt help tell if it was specific issue with the PCI-E rail.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-05-03, 4:45 PM #6
Originally posted by Onimusha:
I would replace the pwoer supply regardless. They aren't more then $30. In the end it would be $30 well spent before frying another 4870, you know?

Uh, yes, they are...unless you buy crappy power supplies..

This is mine...just a little more than $30!
woot!
2009-05-03, 5:13 PM #7
Originally posted by EAH_TRISCUIT:
Some applications (I think CPU-Z or Speedfan) can monitor the voltages being supplied to the motherboard, maybe you can monitor those for spikes, but that still wouldnt help tell if it was specific issue with the PCI-E rail.

uh..whoa. Should my 12v rail not read 12v?

Speedfan says 6.34.

:omg:

woot!
2009-05-03, 7:30 PM #8
Mine cost 100, and it has so far lasted 3 years.
650 watt too, so im all set.
2009-05-03, 7:35 PM #9
Umm yea, 12 should be 12.

Wow.
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2009-05-03, 7:49 PM #10
There is no way your 12v rail is outputting 6.34v and your computer is functioning correctly. Speedfan is wrong.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-05-03, 7:50 PM #11
Originally posted by JLee:
uh..whoa. Should my 12v rail not read 12v?

Speedfan says 6.34.

lolwut

See if you can corroborate that reading from another source (BIOS)? If it's accurate, then get a new PSU (try to RMA this one? haha)

Funny, I just helped my friend build a PC with the EXACT SAME 500W EarthWatts PSU >_< (his has been rock-solid so far though)
一个大西瓜
2009-05-03, 8:05 PM #12
I'll try a BIOS reading and see what it says.

I wouldn't think it'd run either..but I had a car that would start with a 12v battery only putting out 9v. I'm no electrical engineer..meh. I'll check the BIOS when I get home in the morning. :)

This power supply has been flawless ever since I bought it.
woot!
2009-05-04, 6:51 AM #13
A car is a little more forgiving, all it has to do is get the starter spinning fast enough for the engine to catch. It's just a motor.

A computer, however, is not even remotely so. While fluctuations from 11-13 aren't too bad on it, anything beyond that range can seriously damage, or keep it from functioning.
2009-05-04, 5:24 PM #14
BIOS says 12.02v.

I got an email back from Visiontek RMA...not only do they need the card, a receipt from a retail store, and a $10 check/money order, you have to be the original owner..which I am not. I emailed him..but I will never buy a Visiontek product again.
woot!
2009-05-04, 5:26 PM #15
:carl:
一个大西瓜
2009-05-04, 10:29 PM #16
Originally posted by JLee:
BIOS says 12.02v.

I got an email back from Visiontek RMA...not only do they need the card, a receipt from a retail store, and a $10 check/money order, you have to be the original owner..which I am not. I emailed him..but I will never buy a Visiontek product again.

What were you expecting? Seriously, its standard practice for all of the above mostly.
\(='_'=)/

↑ Up to the top!