Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The decline of combat space sims!
The decline of combat space sims!
2009-05-05, 11:26 AM #1
Anyone care to share their thoughts on why this genre dropped so much in popularity?

We had Elite, Privateer, Privateer 2 (with awesome FMV cutscenes), Freelancer. There had been a couple a games released in the last 2 years, but nothing nearly as popular.

It's a fantastic genre with a lot of potential for immersion. Not to mention the stuff you can do with modern tech to make the games awesome...

What do you think?
幻術
2009-05-05, 11:29 AM #2
I'm looking forward to this game:

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/

There's a playable MP demo already available. It's space only, though.
2009-05-05, 11:37 AM #3
Oo, looks cool. I couldn't find the developer company's name on the site tho. Do you know anything about their previous projects that I can possibly check out? Thanks!
幻術
2009-05-05, 11:38 AM #4
More like The End of combat space sims
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-05-05, 11:38 AM #5
It's one guy. There are a few community contributions but for the most part, it's all one guy. What's cool is that he usually releases the code of the new stuff he comes up with.

[Edit]
Okay, I guess there's 8 on the team now offically:

How many developers are working on the game ?

At the moment the core team is formed of 8 members plus I (Flavien Brebion) as the project leader/programmer. Infinity also works on a community contributions model where anybody with 3D modeling, texturing or musical skills can help out. We have received more than a hundred contributions so far. For more informations, please see our contributions forum.
2009-05-05, 11:59 AM #6
I bought X3 the other day when it was on sale for like 9.99, the game looked beautiful in the screenshots, and reminded me a lot of Freelancer. Too bad it plays absolutely nothing like Freelancer and seems incredibly difficult to learn how to play. I gave up on it after about an hour of messing with the mind-boggling menu and controls.

I too have been in the market for a good space sim, but what I've really wanted is just a new star wars space sim, because all of them were so much fun.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2009-05-05, 12:09 PM #7
Yeah, X3 is ridiculously complex. It seems like a pretty cool game but then you realize how much stuff you're going to have to do before you can be spacebeard the pirate.

I think Freespace 2 Open is the best X-Wing/Wing Commander-style game out there. It's also a really good example of online forum people making a mod, which is kind of nice to see. The level of quality is really impressive.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-05-05, 12:31 PM #8
I'm sure many will disagree, but I think the space aspect of SWG is pretty good. It's not as good as the X-Wing series, but being able to walk around your ship makes up for that.
2009-05-05, 12:59 PM #9
Haven't played anything as good as freelancer.. and freelancer had absolutely no replayability, so that kinda sucks.

o.0
2009-05-05, 1:07 PM #10
Freelancer was meh. I liked certain aspects, like "Newtonian" flight mode...

Freespace2 was great, still need to finish that off sometime.

I want TIE 2; up until their implosion the Emperor's Hammer was working on a game from the Freespace engine, no idea what state it's in right now.

In the GE we talked about doing one ourselves, and I have a copy of the very, very rough cut of the flight system, but we dropped that a few years ago since we don't have the time for it.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-05-05, 2:01 PM #11
Quote:
I too have been in the market for a good space sim, but what I've really wanted is just a new star wars space sim, because all of them were so much fun.

This.

I want to dogfight in a sith infiltraitor so bad.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-05-05, 7:50 PM #12
Because even though the idea has always had great potential the actual games have always been really really boring.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-05-05, 8:27 PM #13
Quote:
Because even though the idea has always had great potential the actual games have always been really really boring.

You must not have played tie fighter or x-wing alliance then.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-05-05, 9:44 PM #14
We were talking about recent-ish games Onimusha, not ancient ones, keep up.
2009-05-05, 9:46 PM #15
Originally posted by Onimusha:
You must not have played tie fighter or x-wing alliance then.

Or any games listed in this thread.
2009-05-05, 10:35 PM #16
lets build one on XNA
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-05-05, 11:01 PM #17
Originally posted by zanardi:
lets build one on XNA

haha good one!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-05-06, 3:51 AM #18
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Or any games listed in this thread.

No, I've played the ones listed in this thread.
2009-05-06, 3:56 AM #19
Bugger space combat! What about point and click adventures?

(currently cradling Broken Sword on his DS...)
2009-05-06, 4:08 AM #20
Totally!
2009-05-06, 4:33 AM #21
yeah i noticed. I used to play WIng Commander Prophecy and Freespace but i dont even have a joystick anymore.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2009-05-06, 8:03 AM #22
Originally posted by Alco:
I'm looking forward to this game:

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/

There's a playable MP demo already available. It's space only, though.

That actually looks pretty darn funky.
nope.
2009-05-06, 10:14 AM #23
You can play FS2 with a keyboard and mouse now.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-05-06, 10:21 AM #24
The original freespace was the best flight sim ever, possibly beating out TIE Fighter.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-05-06, 10:23 AM #25
Did you know that the Freespace campaign has been ported to FS2?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-05-08, 1:02 AM #26
Freelancer wins due to it's easy modability. [url]www.bsg-galactica.com[/url] And that there's a Battlestar Galactica mod for freelancer :D
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2009-05-08, 6:45 PM #27
Oh how I miss my old X-wing days...

↑ Up to the top!