Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What would YOU do?
What would YOU do?
2004-08-23, 5:04 PM #1
For those of you who don't know (which I doubt many of you do), I've been working with a company in California on an animation targeted for TV. Up till now I've been working under contract, which means I don't get paid until they sell the show.

When I started, I never thought the show would sell. Now, over a year later, it's looking really good, and I think there's a good chance it'll sell. If it does sell, that means:
A)I get paid for all the work I've already done, and
B)I'm offered a full-time job working for the company.

I just got an email unofficially offering me a job on the team at $3,000 a week. I'd love to do this and make this kind of money, but I'm getting ready to head off to college. At college I wouldn't have the time to work full-time on the project like they want me to. If you were me, would you skip out of college for a bit and work on the project, or go to college and get a real education and (hopefully) a better job in the future?

------------------
gree gree.
2004-08-23, 5:07 PM #2
Wow that's good money, take it!

You can always go back to college later if it falls through. Something like that on your resume would help big time.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-23, 5:09 PM #3
Take the job, like Spork said, you can always go to college later.

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-08-23, 5:14 PM #4
...you'd be nuts to turn it down. College can wait, at that payrate you can afford to go back later if you need.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonk WoW Petition <- SIGN!
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-08-23, 5:17 PM #5
I say college. Sure its a crapload of money, but I think you should think about your future in the long run. It would be good for you (and for your later jobs in life) knowing that you graduated from college in good time. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (I don't know why I have this still in my sig)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-23, 5:24 PM #6
Take the job. You can always go back to college, but you can't go back to the job, savy?

P.S. I thought this thread was about Klondike bars [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º< ) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º< )

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited August 23, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-23, 5:36 PM #7
Can't you delay the start of college? Most colleges let you take a semester or two off.
2004-08-23, 5:41 PM #8
Take it. you idiot.

seriously, college can wait for that kind of money...assuming you get the job. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Tell me not in mournful numbers, Life is but an empty dream, For the soul is dead that slumbers, and things are not as they seem. Life is real, Life is ernest, the grave is not it's goal; Dust thou art, Dust thou returnest, Was not spoken of the soul.
~William Shakespeare
People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only
if there is a light from within.
-Elizabeth Kübler-Ross
2004-08-23, 5:47 PM #9
If you dont take that job, Ill personally fly over there and skin you alive.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-08-23, 5:50 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:

P.S. I thought this thread was about Klondike bars [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

</font>

hahaha!! classic, good stuff! Haven't had one of those in forever lol

Yeah, make sure that you will get the job first. If it's a sure thing, go for it.

Everyone makes a good point, you could always go for college later on.

------------------
Lets finish it then, let us be rid of it...I can't carry it for you Mr. Frodo, but I can carry you...Come on!

"Life Happens While You're Busy Making Other Plans..."
"Too bad stupidity doesn't actually kill"

"No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide."^"I say never be complete...I say let's evolve." ** Fight Club**
2004-08-23, 5:59 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
If you dont take that job, Ill personally fly over there and skin you alive.

</font>

Not if I get to you first! Seriousely, if you don't take the job, I'll kill you. I'd do anything for an opportunity like that. Screw college, you can go back anytime you want.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-23, 6:24 PM #12
Holy !@$&(@!$%!@&(!@$%&

3,000/wk?!?! Do you realize that's... $168,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? You'd be a fool to turn it down. Hell, even if you only worked there for 2 weeks, that would pay for like 2 years of college right there! If you put off college for one semester, you'd have enough money to pay for all of your undergrad stuff at any number of nice schools. Yowza.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-23, 6:38 PM #13
Take the job; college can wait.

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-08-23, 6:38 PM #14
First, that's an awesome wage. Second, that'd be gret for a resume. Third, you can always go back to school. $3000 a week is not something that comes around very often. So basically, take the job. I don't know where you'd find a better job out of college.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

[This message has been edited by Avenger (edited August 23, 2004).]
Pissed Off?
2004-08-23, 7:25 PM #15
Take the job, it shouldn't be a hard decision.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.dreamtheater.net/disco_dreamtheater.php?s=sfam" TARGET=_blank> "Our deeds have traveled far,
What we have been is what we are."</A>
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-08-23, 7:37 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
Hell, even if you only worked there for 2 weeks, that would pay for like 2 years of college right there!</font>

... College costs more than 3k a year, bud. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

But yes, take the job, but you do NEED to go back to college after it ends. Save most of this money you make and put it towards your education.

------------------
[16:38] Correction: dick tracy was a real man
[16:38] happydud: Actually... He wasn't. :D
[19:08] Dormouse: hi, my name's happydud and i'm passive-aggress.. SHUTUP!! *stabs nearby orphan*
[You have gained 3 Dark Side Points]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-08-23, 8:10 PM #17
It's not far off if you have good financial aid. Which of course depends on how poor you are. I'm paying about $2,600 a quarter for RIT. Not bad considering my da...you know I'll leave it off public forums.

Anyway, take the job. You can delay college, and having something like that on your resume is amazing. Imagine applying to a school of art and animation and they see you already had a job doing just that? Colleges want your money, they will snatch you up so fast...

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-23, 8:16 PM #18
You'd be making well over 20 times the ammount of money I'm making, and about 30 times if that's USD, not to mention your job would be a million times more fun than displacing boxes.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-24, 1:36 AM #19
It's USD.

Seriously, nobody gets that kind of job straight out of college. Take it, go to college later.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 3:02 AM #20
You'll make less than that even after collage. Unless your a docter or somthing. But you'd have to be a pretty good docter to make that kind of money, and it
would take over 10 years to get hte degree.
2004-08-24, 3:47 AM #21
How long do you think the job will last?
I would consider the job as making money to pay for college, plus the added bonus of something really good on your resume. Do you think there is any chance of your getting a job with this company after college?

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-08-24, 3:49 AM #22
take the job.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-08-24, 4:03 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
Hell, even if you only worked there for 2 weeks, that would pay for like 2 years of college right there!

</font>

....I pay $15k + per year...
2004-08-24, 4:43 AM #24
People keep saying to take the job and go to college later. I agree, but it's easier said than done. Later on you have less motivation, more time consuming responsibilities, and more bills to pay.

------------------
Debating politics on the internet is about as useful and productive as shoving a broomstick up your *** .
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-08-24, 5:14 AM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
Later on you have less motivation, more time consuming responsibilities, and more bills to pay.

</font>

F*** all that. He may never get an opportunity like this again. I suggest he take it.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-24, 6:48 AM #26
Take the job, but be sure to put away a good chunk of your income for your college expenses, that way, in the event the job ends, you can continue with school. $168,000 is quite a bit of money. Most people don't make that much after going to college, and even getting a masters degree. If the job goes well, and you decide to make it a career, you'll have money to buy a car or some other large item.

Congratulations on this great opportunity you've been given!

------------------
Empty.
2004-08-24, 6:51 AM #27
Definately take the job, but save most of the money you make. You can use it to pay for college later.

One of my friends at school waited for a couple of years before going to college, and he isnt any worse off for it.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...
DSettahr's Homepage
2004-08-24, 7:00 AM #28
Most college graduates will never be offered a job anywhere near that good! I don't think you're grasping how much $3k a week is. Most people make that every 2 or 3 months.

P.S. Buy us things!

------------------
A little less conversation, a little more action
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-08-24, 7:08 AM #29
Some of you are thinking there are 54 weeks in a year instead of 52. He'd be making roughly $156,000 a year before taxes. That's still more than most families make with both spouses working. Take the job. Put a thousand a month into a Roth IRA fund, and then another two or so a month for college.

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.

[This message has been edited by Roach (edited August 24, 2004).]
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-24, 11:09 AM #30
Yeah, I just went with whoever's math. Too lazy to do it myself.

But seriously--with my mom and dad both working, we pull in 150k a year, if we're lucky.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 12:35 PM #31
Take into consideration how long you'll be working on this project and whether or not this is something you will like doing. College really is not so much a place of education as a place of not working full time. The "education" you receive is a tool you can use to help you achieve various things within society. It is not a necessity. For many people it can be very useful and may seem almost essential, but it is not the only thing in the world. There are more ways than just one to do things. College is one way. Depending on how creative and determined you can be, it is not the only way. There is pretty much only one value I can assign to such an institution, the social experience, the capacity to meet and interact with many new individuals. If I had an opportunity to do something that I love doing I would consider it regardless of the pay. Pretty much the only practical use for a college education is the potential to earn more money than you would without it. If that is what's important to you, you should take that job, which I gather you might enjoy doing. Even if you don't, it seems like an interesting and unique experience. And since you say project, I assume that this is something that won't exactly last for the rest of your life before retirement, so if college is really all that important to you, you can do it when the job's finished. Who knows? Maybe this one opportunity will lead to many new opportunities which you would not otherwise be able to enjoy.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-08-24, 12:38 PM #32
You could buy a friggin HOUSE. Take that job. College will probably afford you not much better.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 12:39 PM #33
VERY FEW college graduates make that much money, if i were you id work that job for a year or two, save enough to pay for college entirely, and when you graduate and get a good job, it'll be all profit with no loans or anything to pay off... just dont lose sight of the big picture and forget about college.

------------------
"Ahhhh!! I'm Burnin'! I'm Burnin!!!" - Cleaner from Max Payne 2

"Why are they called headphones... why not... Headspeakers?" - finity5
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2004-08-24, 12:41 PM #34
DO NOT TURN DOWN COLLEGE SO QUICKLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you do take the job, you must, as i am your father, take animation classes or something related to what you were going to take in college.

COLLEGE CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAKE SURE YOU TAKE SOME CLASSES WHILE WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Pissed off?
2004-08-24, 12:46 PM #35
Go there for like 5 years, living minimally, then live off the fat of the cash in college. Mmm...fat.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 12:51 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Evad:
DO NOT TURN DOWN COLLEGE SO QUICKLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you do take the job, you must, as i am your father, take animation classes or something related to what you were going to take in college.

COLLEGE CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAKE SURE YOU TAKE SOME CLASSES WHILE WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

</font>

Yeah definitely take the job, but also if you can take 1 or 2 courses at the same time if you can. No harm in getting the best of both worlds

------------------
Lets finish it then, let us be rid of it...I can't carry it for you Mr. Frodo, but I can carry you...Come on!

"Life Is What Happens While You're Busy Making Other Plans..."

"But this new diet's liqiud and dulling to the senses and it's crude, but it will do..." Dashboard Confessional
"Too bad stupidity doesn't actually kill"

"No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide."^"I say never be complete...I say let's evolve." ** Fight Club**
2004-08-24, 1:17 PM #37
I'm not sure what I would do actually, i'd probably take the job for a couple of years and then go to college.

College/University is NOT just about getting a job at the end of it. Best Years Of Your Life. Fact.

I'm halfway through university and even though i'm in no danger of not getting a good degree at the end, I wouldn't for a minute regret the time i'm spending at uni should I somehow do very badly.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-24, 1:30 PM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">P.S. I thought this thread was about Klondike bars
</font>

You're not the only one.

And 3 thousand a week is great money. I guarantee you that you probably won't even be making that money once you graduate from college or university. Maybe after a while yes, but definately not starting.

If you dont take the job, tell them I want it.

And if you're smart, at 3 thousand a week, you can save ****loads....

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">College/University is NOT just about getting a job at the end of it. Best Years Of Your Life. Fact.
</font>

Not fact. I know tons of people, including myself, who didn't enjoy college one bit. I hated my college, hell, I've even got so fed up with my college that I even threatened once....But that's another story (with valid reason, before u judge [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif])

College, honestly was the worst years of my life. And I didn't even complete the course the time I was there.

↑ Up to the top!