Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Massassifornian's, how about these new gas pumps? BEYOND ****ING STUPID.
Massassifornian's, how about these new gas pumps? BEYOND ****ING STUPID.
2009-05-06, 1:47 PM #1
Anybody else think these new gas pumps that the state forced all gas stations to purchase in the name of cutting pollution (at hefty $7k - $10k a piece, putting tons of small stations out of business) are pieces of ****? I roll up with a quarter tank of gas in my Tacoma, and start pumping. It shuts off after putting in 1 gallon. WTF. I start it again, and it shuts off again after 1.5 gallons. After doing this 2 or 3 more times it finally keeps putting gas in. It stops after 4 gallons. I'm not sure how much is in there so I stop to be safe.

Get in my car and drive away, as the gauge slowly goes up like it does in newer cars. It stops at 3/4 tank!!! These ****ing new piece of **** gas pumps don't fill your tank up all the way. It does the exact same thing in my Camaro. EVERY SINGLE TIME, and i've tried multiple pumps in multiple stations. On top of that, it still drips gas when you take it out. Next time I'm gonna keep adding manually till it pumps gas all over the ground. How would you like that CARB?

I ****ing hate this state.

Anybody have this problem?
2009-05-06, 2:14 PM #2
...Theres an alternative to manually using the pump?
nope.
2009-05-06, 2:20 PM #3
That sounds awful. Is the idea to deter you from filling up your tank altogether?
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-05-06, 2:35 PM #4
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
That sounds awful. Is the idea to deter you from filling up your tank altogether?

All pumps stop when you reach full, sounds to me these newfangled ones just do a terrible job of detecting when exactly that is.

Originally posted by Baconfish:
...Theres an alternative to manually using the pump?

Your pumps don't have a little latch in the handle to keep it pumping without squeezing? I'd think you crazy brits would at least have the technology for a latch!
2009-05-06, 2:38 PM #5
I don't have a car, so maybe.
nope.
2009-05-06, 2:43 PM #6
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I don't have a car

See:

Originally posted by Cool Matty:
you crazy brits
2009-05-06, 2:45 PM #7
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
All pumps stop when you reach full, sounds to me these newfangled ones just do a terrible job of detecting when exactly that is.

Oh, okay. Then it's a bug, not a feature. Gotcha.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-05-06, 3:02 PM #8
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
See:

I walk and use the bus, I'm fine with it.

:eng101:
nope.
2009-05-06, 3:11 PM #9
that happened to me on a desolate highway in PA one time :(

my gas light went on and the pump only spit out 25cents worth of gas .( It was also about 20 degrees and snowing pretty bad so I didnt feel like getting stranded.

Thankfully I had enough to make it to the next town and fill up there.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-05-06, 3:30 PM #10
Originally posted by mb:
that happened to me on a desolate highway in PA one time :(

my gas light went on and the pump only spit out 25cents worth of gas .( It was also about 20 degrees and snowing pretty bad so I didnt feel like getting stranded.

Thankfully I had enough to make it to the next town and fill up there.

sometimes in below freezing weather gas pumps have a hard time pumping the fuel from the tank, especially if the lines have frozen. Another problem that could have been in that situation is there not being enough fuel in the tank.

yay i get to go back to life as a gas station junky this weekend
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-05-06, 3:32 PM #11
I haven't bought gas in any of the stations that have new pumps yet

Will report back when I do
2009-05-06, 4:00 PM #12
Originally posted by genk:
sometimes in below freezing weather gas pumps have a hard time pumping the fuel from the tank.

Yea I kind of figured it was that. I should have gotten gas way earlier than that, but I was dumb! :psylon:
2009-05-06, 4:19 PM #13
That happened to me today, but it's a gas station I use all the time so I'm not sure what the problem was.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-05-06, 4:59 PM #14
Maybe you were just using it wrong.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-05-06, 8:06 PM #15
Since this is California, it probably isn't a "bug".
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2009-05-06, 8:08 PM #16
sometimes in below freezing weather gas pumps have a hard time pumping the fuel from the tank..

....that's what she said?
2009-05-06, 8:22 PM #17
I don't think it's just a CA thing. I've found this happens to me randomly over the years.
I've gotten good at getting the maximum flow without it shutting off. I change the angle of the pump and only put it half way in. That works for me.
2009-05-06, 8:28 PM #18
The pumps have swine flu.
2009-05-06, 11:40 PM #19
Originally posted by Tracer:
Maybe you were just using it wrong.

Quite possibly true. Sometimes shoving the nozzle in too far throws the pump off.

And now insert obvious innuendo jokes.
Pissed Off?
2009-05-07, 5:03 AM #20
Psh, some parts of Texas just recently stopped using the pumps that have the 'roll over' counters. Mainly because they gave more gas than it said.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-05-07, 8:32 AM #21
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
I don't think it's just a CA thing. I've found this happens to me randomly over the years.
I've gotten good at getting the maximum flow without it shutting off. I change the angle of the pump and only put it half way in. That works for me.

what is happening with normal pumps, i'm not sure what the Cali-pumps are doing, is that sometimes the speed is too much for the pipe to your tank to clear before it backs up a bit and that triggers the safety shutoff. I don't know if the Cali-pumps are doing this, but try and use a slower flow when using it?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-05-07, 11:49 AM #22
what is happening with normal pumps, i'm not sure what the Cali-pumps are doing, is that sometimes the speed is too much for the pipe to your tank to clear before it backs up a bit and that triggers the safety shutoff. I don't know if the Cali-pumps are doing this, but try and use a slower flow when using it?

This could also be the case.
Pissed Off?
2009-05-07, 10:02 PM #23
Screw making a fence to barricade Mexico from the U.S... let's just barricade all the crazies in Cali.
2009-05-07, 11:00 PM #24
You have to know your car. My car has 14.5 gal (54.88 L) capacity. When the gauge is below the E, I know I have < 1 gal (3.76 L) left and that's about 30 mi if I'm careful on the throttle. Just keep pumping gas until you know you've really filled up that tank. Sometimes I can squeeze an extra 2 gal.

I usually take out the nozzle, let the gas settle down then resume pumping. Rinse/repeat.

The new problems are not my main concern. It's the fact that gas is $2.50 again :argh:
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-05-07, 11:03 PM #25
Yeah.. for no reason too.. demand for gas has gone down.
2009-05-07, 11:43 PM #26
Yeah they just tried to sneak it in there and hope nobody would notice
2009-05-08, 12:56 AM #27
It's getting to be summer/travel time. Gas always gets more expensive this time of year.
Pissed Off?
2009-05-08, 6:41 AM #28
I have people to pump gas for me. I'm above that ****.
:master::master::master:
2009-05-08, 6:46 AM #29
Full service is more expensive usually.
2009-05-08, 6:48 AM #30
The service gas stations here charge +10 cents a gallon
2009-05-08, 6:53 AM #31
Yea. I was totally clueless one time driving up to a full service station..
I was like "FILL HER UP!!!" and the guy was like ".... You sure ...? You can get it 10 cents cheaper across the street...."

Du'h. There is one place on my way home from school that has a full service for the same price. I almost convinced the guy to run away with the money. He had like 700 bucks. He said he'd do it for a grand. >< lol I'm horrible.
2009-05-08, 7:01 AM #32
Originally posted by Squirrel King:
Full service is more expensive usually.

I don't have a choice.
:master::master::master:
2009-05-08, 7:19 AM #33
I would rather pump my gas myself, I don't trust other people. If they even get 1 drop of fuel on my paint I would get out and soak them in it, then light a match.
2009-05-08, 9:58 AM #34
just for a point of info, pumps in the UK are totally manual, you have to stand there the entire time until it reaches full which is when it cuts out or you just release when you have what you want, the same goes for all the different parts of europe I've seen too.

What is so damn hard about feeling a tank of fuel anyway, I think a lot of the sensors are just based around the premise that when it detects liquid/fuel around the end of the nozzle it cuts out, at least that's my impression of these things when filling my bike up where I can actually see the fuel in the tank and when it gets full.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2009-05-08, 10:08 AM #35
yeah i never really understood the whole "lets enact harsher, prohibitively expensive regulations during a recession" thing. however i have not had the pleasure of trying one of these new nozzles...
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2009-05-08, 12:02 PM #36
Originally posted by zanardi:
I would rather pump my gas myself, I don't trust other people. If they even get 1 drop of fuel on my paint I would get out and soak them in it, then light a match.

Don't ever move to Oregon then.
Pissed Off?
2009-05-08, 1:21 PM #37
Originally posted by poley:
I think a lot of the sensors are just based around the premise that when it detects liquid/fuel around the end of the nozzle it cuts out

Mechanically you could use an aspirator to shut off a valve. Electrically you could detect the capacitance of octane.
2009-05-08, 1:22 PM #38
They don't have full service station here at all, as far as I know. Maybe by where the rich people live.
2009-05-08, 1:37 PM #39
Originally posted by zanardi:

YO BRO YOU GOT MY WHIP ALL SORTS OF ****ED UP

↑ Up to the top!