Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → iPhone
iPhone
2009-05-07, 9:47 AM #1
So I got a 8gig demo iPhone to play around with for a while, I like it but why does the camera suck so bad? Anyone else use this thing? I also find it kind of awkward to carry around.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-05-07, 9:51 AM #2
From what Ive seen, the iphone camera isnt too bad if there is a lot of light. Lowlight requires you to be very very still.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2009-05-07, 9:51 AM #3
That could have been it
2009-05-07, 9:52 AM #4
Originally posted by mb:
From what Ive seen, the iphone camera isnt too bad if there is a lot of light. Lowlight requires you to be very very still.

Maybe we should invent an iTriPod! :XD:
woot!
2009-05-07, 9:55 AM #5
Originally posted by zanardi:
So I got a 8gig demo iPhone to play around with for a while, I like it but why does the camera suck so bad? Anyone else use this thing? I also find it kind of awkward to carry around.

Because the hardware on the iPhone sucks.
2009-05-07, 10:17 AM #6
cm has a startac running linux
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2009-05-07, 10:19 AM #7

Uhh... the iphone camera rocks, I always get comments about how good it is, especially when I zoom in on the pic.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-05-07, 10:21 AM #8
*sigh*... i hate apple for threads like these.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-05-07, 10:27 AM #9
Originally posted by Deadman:
Uhh... the iphone camera rocks, I always get comments about how good it is, especially when I zoom in on the pic.

My Sprint-Samsung A920 which is a few years old now takes much better pictures.
2009-05-07, 10:43 AM #10
Odd, my friend's iPhone 1G takes pretty good pictures. They aren't amazing, but they're at least comparable to my Blackjack 2 for what it's worth.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2009-05-07, 10:45 AM #11
The iPhone camera is rather terrible. Rumored to be upgraded to 3.2 or 5MP come this summer, but the MP is irrelevant unless they get better sensors too.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-05-07, 10:55 AM #12
Originally posted by KOP_AoEJedi:
*sigh*... i hate apple for threads like these.

Why? Because a cell camera is lackluster?
2009-05-07, 11:05 AM #13
The camera's a mixed bag. I've gotten some really fantastic shots in good light, but low light really sucks.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-05-07, 12:12 PM #14
Originally posted by Deadman:

Ehh... the camera is ****. Face it. Especially for such an expensive phone, it better damn well have auto focus, at least 3.2 mega pixels, some sort of flash, and a glass lens.
\(='_'=)/
2009-05-07, 12:18 PM #15
Who gives a damn about cellphone cameras? Seriously. I'm sure all of you own a digital camera. Cell phone cameras are like "oh lets take a myspace photo guys" or "oh look a ferrari lets snapshot it for facebook!" or "mom send me a picture of that thing you wanted again?" or "hey look dude this car is for sale on A street. I know you've been looking". Its not like they expect you to try and get scenic portraits or take kids senior pictures with them. :rolleyes:

Compared to what the rest of the phone does, I for one, do not give a collective ****.
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-05-07, 12:19 PM #16
Well I do there buddy. I do not own a digital camera, I'm not a photographer, I'm not going to carry a digital camera around for no reason so if I want to take a picture of something I use my phone.
2009-05-07, 12:20 PM #17
Well I do there buddy. I do not own a digital camera, I'm not a photographer, I'm not going to carry a digital camera around for no reason so if I want to take a picture of something I use my phone.

You don't carry a camera around for no reason. You carry a camera around to take pictures. :P
woot!
2009-05-07, 12:28 PM #18
Originally posted by Onimusha:
Who gives a damn about cellphone cameras? Seriously. I'm sure all of you own a digital camera. Cell phone cameras are like "oh lets take a myspace photo guys" or "oh look a ferrari lets snapshot it for facebook!" or "mom send me a picture of that thing you wanted again?" or "hey look dude this car is for sale on A street. I know you've been looking". Its not like they expect you to try and get scenic portraits or take kids senior pictures with them. :rolleyes:

Compared to what the rest of the phone does, I for one, do not give a collective ****.

You're right. Camera phones are good for point and shoot only. But if you ever used any of the premium camera phones on the market today, the reason to bring a descrete camera quickly diminishes. And plus, a good cellphone camera has more uses than just random pictures. I use mine all the time to take pictures of blackboards, notes, books etc. It sure beats a trip down to the photocopier or scanner. Also, I don't like carrying things that I don't need to.
\(='_'=)/
2009-05-07, 12:44 PM #19

Because I don't carry a purse.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2009-05-07, 1:11 PM #20
Oddly enough there are people that claim the 3.0 firmware seems to reduce the blurriness a little. I've not really cared enough about it to see if it really does or not though, cause I hardly ever use the camera.
2009-05-07, 1:14 PM #21
That is most likely the post processing bit. Every Cellphone camera has it.
\(='_'=)/
2009-05-07, 1:16 PM #22
Originally posted by silent_killa:
That is most likely the post processing bit. Every Cellphone camera has it.

I'm going to guess the low-light performance is due to handholding/camera shake exaggerated by a slow shutter speed due to no room for a wide aperture. Maybe. :)
woot!
2009-05-07, 1:26 PM #23
there's a bunch of apps that delay the capture until the phone is steady.

The camera isn't particularly great, but to be honest the phone isn't particularly expensive. Sure it's a lot if you usually get the contract freebies but people were paying a lot more for their phones when I was at school than an iPhone costs now. For casual (ie social) photos you're best getting a small camera rather than relying on your phone.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-05-07, 2:18 PM #24
I would make fun of someone that carried a small camera around for casual pictures.
2009-05-07, 2:29 PM #25
I would make fun of someone that carried a small camera around for casual pictures.

I typically have a DSLR in my truck.

stuff it. :eng101:
woot!
2009-05-07, 2:53 PM #26
I think it's overkill. Not to mention the fees.
2009-05-07, 3:06 PM #27

That doesn't sound very friendly...
Flickr Twitter
2009-05-07, 3:35 PM #28
Well if it was a friend I would totally pick on them
2009-05-07, 3:41 PM #29
Why?
2009-05-07, 3:56 PM #30
zandardi needs friends first.
2009-05-07, 8:03 PM #31
you should learn how to spell my name first ;)
2009-05-07, 8:10 PM #32
I dont get what this thread is about anymore
2009-05-07, 8:27 PM #33
you should learn how to spell my name first ;)

Touché.
2009-05-07, 10:57 PM #34
I'm half in agreement with Onimusha.
The point of a phone camera is that it's simply a camera handy for emergencies. ANd for that, the iphone camera is surprisingly great quality.
It's not as good as some fancy digital camera, but it's better then any other phone camera I've ever seen.

I'm only half in agreement with Oni though, because who the hell (besides women with hand bags) carries a camera around with them, just in case.
2009-05-07, 11:41 PM #35
I dunno, I find the quality rather lacking for a camera phone..
Attachment: 21874/IMG_0027.jpg (390,097 bytes)
2009-05-08, 12:43 AM #36
Quote:
I'm only half in agreement with Oni though, because who the hell (besides women with hand bags) carries a camera around with them, just in case.

Contrary to what everyone seems to believe I said, I never stated that one needs to carry a camera around either. The only times people would care about quality photos were photos of them self - which can be taken at home with a digital camera, photos of a vacation - in which carrying a camera is expected, or artistic/portraits and professional photos - in which your a damn idiot to use a cellphone for.

So and thus, the average user has no need for a 7 mega pixel camera for most of the shots they tend to take with their phone. If you do frequently take quality photos and are in fact a practitioner/student of photography, then it would also be expected of you to carry a camera. If you relied on a camera phone for that purpose, again your a damn idiot, unless you are artisticially trying to get a lower quality/rustic look to your photos.

Point is, guarenteed whatever your snapping with your iphone, its not significant enough to worry about the quality of the photo, and if it is, you should consider carrying a digital camera that would be better suited for your photographic demands.

Now a better argument would be, how come the iphone doesn't take panoramic shots by default like the Samsung Omnia and LG Dare do? (and yes I know about the Pano app)
"They're everywhere, the little harlots."
-Martyn
2009-05-08, 1:15 AM #37
Ah, my bad Onimusha.
In that case, once again we are in total agreement ;)
2009-05-08, 4:53 AM #38
The main issue with the iPhone camera is that it's insufficient for spontaneous drunken photos at night, though it's possible that this is a good thing.
Flickr Twitter
2009-05-08, 5:40 AM #39
^^^ Good thing. My facebook+drunk pictures are in steep decline and I for one am happy about it.
2009-05-08, 6:08 AM #40
Point is, guarenteed whatever your snapping with your iphone, its not significant enough to worry about the quality of the photo, and if it is, you should consider carrying a digital camera that would be better suited for your photographic demands.

How many times do I have to say it, no no no..

↑ Up to the top!