Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My Legendary review (GameLemon)
My Legendary review (GameLemon)
2009-05-08, 2:07 PM #1
For the game LEGENDARY.

http://www.gamelemon.com/review_20161.jsp

Lemme know what you think. :v:
幻術
2009-05-08, 5:22 PM #2
I don't see any screenshots. I see links to them but when I click them no image appears, just an empty box with a caption.
2009-05-08, 5:23 PM #3
(hum, they halfway work on opera, the thumbnails don't show up but when clicking the box the image does appear -- my first try was on firefox and that doesn't work at all)
2009-05-08, 6:31 PM #4
They work just fine here. In firefox.
2009-05-08, 11:00 PM #5
Animus refers to this, not Assissin's Creed. Personally, I'd consider a sense of humour to be a little more wit, a little less memes and phrases like "retarded panda."

I don't get why this game gets such low scores. It might only be a 7/10 game, on account of being a bit under polished, but many tear it apart for the same downfalls that are barely considered in other reviews. The story isn't exactly deep, but it's not incoherent.
2009-05-11, 11:16 AM #6
Jin, I disagree. It's not "under polished," it's completely broken. An under polished 7/10 game would be something like Vampire: Bloodlines. Here's a game that I also had to haxx0r (with Google's help, ofc) just to get to the ending, but a game that has so much going for itself that its lack of polish can be forgiven relatively easily.

In Legendary, dead soldiers get stuck through walls, sniper zoom is megasensitive making your view bounce all over the place, hit detection terrible, all levels are extremely linear, graphics suck compared to games on the same engine, armed opponents have no AI and shoot with aimbot accuracy, etc, etc, etc.

It has it's pluses. It's got an original premise, it's cheesy and over the top, and the writing is so terrible it made me wonder where it would go next. But this most definitely *not* a 7/10 game.

Sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier BTW.
幻術
2009-05-11, 12:17 PM #7
Okay, however:

I didn't have to edit anything to get to the end, and although I haven't played this game enough to see a dead soldier stuck in a wall I have seen it happen in Splinter Cell CT, Crysis, Assassin's Creed, GTAIV, Gears of War and many other "AAA" games. The problem with iron-sights and scope view is that the sensitivity on the mouse doesn't scale to accomodate the change in perspective. It's a needless programming oversight, which I would put down to a lack of polish, same with the iffy hit detection. The game was dev'd for consoles, after all. (That is, analog sticks, not mouse.) The AI is perfectly functional (especially for the werewolves) but is under developed. AI does take cover and hide behind walls, but is not especially keen on moving.

Linearity does not immediately make a game bad and considering the type of game this is (set-piece action), non-linear levels wouldn't automatically make the game better. I admit it would have been great to be able to choose your own path through the streets of New York while it was being torn apart, but what is the benefit when the game has little need for exploration of your enivornment and seldom need for tactic? It's like any other run-and-gun game, and does the job well. Or well enough, I suppose. If it were non-linear it would be a different game, and being that the premise they've put forth is the entire world quickly coming to an end, haste is implied. Wandering about large, free-roaming areas would detract from that.

The visual style is a matter of taste, and does take brown-and-bloom to the limits, but the graphical prowess is just that of any other game built on UE3. It can look quite fantastic in places, but the wide use of a narrow colour pallet over shadows what could have been. Plus, seeing the flesh being torn from the body of a werewolf as you blast it apart with a shotgun is undoubtedly awesome to see in action.

For all of this I see the same downfalls of lots of other 6 or 7/10 games, which is where just about all decent games lacking polish end up. Legendary would have benefited tremendously from another six months of development, but what it delivered is a slightly rough yet enjoyable game. For me personally the flare and charm of the game is especially captivating, and definately puts me in a position of wanting to defend it, but I don't feel the game is without merit to do so.

And VTM:B was delivered with many game-breaking bugs and a respectable list of other problems. If I were to pick out a broken game, that would be the one.

↑ Up to the top!