Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
2004-08-23, 6:56 PM #1
i just got done watching it (for the second time, the first time left me kind of confused) , and the best way I can describe it is sheer poetry in motion.

This movie is art, unlike most of the action-stuffed crap hollywood puts out nowadays. Everything is beautifully done, the fight scenes are so fast and fluid its simply amazing, especialy with that Green Destiny uber-sword. The action is there and prevalent, but it works b/c the movie is not built on it.

the only part I didn't get was the part where they seem to fly around. That's impossible, even for a martial arts master, although i'm no expert. Some people can jump and make it look like they're gliding, but no one can jump several stories straight up and jump over buildings. Gravity can't be defied like that for that long. That effect made some scenes too matrix-y, IMO. However, I'm open to the possibility that it may be symbolic somehow and is not meant to be interpreted literally.

The rest was sheer beauty. Why can't more films be this well done?

What did you guys think of this movie, even though it came out a few years ago?

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-23, 7:26 PM #2
Of course the flying isn't meant to be real. That's the magical element.

I thought it was a terrific movie. A shame how Li Mu Bai dies though.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.dreamtheater.net/disco_dreamtheater.php?s=sfam" TARGET=_blank> "Our deeds have traveled far,
What we have been is what we are."</A>

[This message has been edited by Acharjay (edited August 23, 2004).]
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-08-23, 7:44 PM #3
You mean the matrix was too asian-filmy.

I loved the movie. Had a stronger story than Hero (which is also a wonderful movie).

------------------
Roach - Gyring and gimbling in the wabe...
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-08-23, 9:13 PM #4
The flying around is a firm part of films in the Wuxia genre.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Wuxia Films
Wuxia films or wuxia pian (Îä‚bƬ Pinyin: w¨³xi¨¢ pi¨¤n) is a film genre from Taiwan and Hong Kong. The term "wuxia", from Mandarin Chinese, means "martial arts heroes". Because of distinguishing characteristics, this genre is considered different from other martial arts film styles.

This genre has been around in the Pacific Rim region since the 1950s or 1960s. The Shaw Studio was the forerunner of this type of movies. It was introduced to mainstream Hollywood for the first time in 2000 by Ang Lee's movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. However, in 1986, John Carpenter's film Big Trouble in Little China drew heavily on the wuxia style.

This genre is characterized by its fantasy component. The heroes in the movie practice martial arts to reach a state where they attain any number of superhuman powers collectively known as shengong (Éñ¹¦), so that they can, among other things:

float in air
scale a cliff or wall
have lightning fast movement
release mystical inner energy (qi) in a form of a beam
paralyze or kill their opponents by hitting their acupressure points with a finger
This type of movie usually has a setting in the past so that the audience can justify the fantasy component more readily with an assumption that the methods to practice these supernatural abilities have been lost. There are occasional wuxia movies in modern settings, but they are usually considered unrealistic. When the Star Wars movie came out in the late 1970s, many Chinese audience viewed it as a western wuxia movie set in a futuristic and foreign world. It is unknown if George Lucas's concept of the Jedi was influenced by the wuxia genre. The audience can readily accept the concept of the Force in the Star Wars series or the superpowers of mutants in X-Men or an alien in Superman. However, the same Western audience may have trouble accepting the wuxia type of fantasy because the wuxia heroes are supposed to be regular people with superpowers.

The Matrix series has many elements of wuxia, however, the heroes and the primary villains of The Matrix gain their supernatural powers by recognizing and bending the rules of artificial reality. They can nonetheless run along walls, leap superhuman distances, and, in more specific cases, fly, levitate, transform into shrieking wraiths, and dodge and stop bullets.

The storylines of this genre are mostly about revenge for killings in the context of a lawless state of society known as Jiang Hu. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was a rare wuxia movie that broke out of this mold.

Following Ang Lee's foot steps, Zhang Yimou made Hero targeted for the international market in 2003.

There is a strong link between wuxia films and wuxia novels, such as those of Jinyong. Many of the films are based on novels; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was an example of this.</font>

Quoth the Wikipedia

------------------
Worth a million in prizes, baby.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-08-23, 9:38 PM #5
#290896 +(656)- [X]

<Flamebird> i was watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon the other night.. and i was wondering where all the tigers and dragons are
<Flamebird> then i realised they're all crouching and hidden
<Flamebird> :/

------------------
The Matrix is not Linux compatible.

You need only two tools. WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2004-08-23, 10:44 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JudgeDredd:
<Flamebird> i was watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon the other night.. and i was wondering where all the tigers and dragons are
<Flamebird> then i realised they're all crouching and hidden
<Flamebird> :/
</font>

Steve Martin said it first.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.dreamtheater.net/disco_dreamtheater.php?s=sfam" TARGET=_blank> "Our deeds have traveled far,
What we have been is what we are."</A>
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-08-24, 1:08 AM #7
I've heard this movie referred to as "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Plot," but personally, I enjoyed it.

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-08-24, 7:26 AM #8
I'd be interested what Chinese speakers think of it.

I can't help but feel that some of it is lost in the translation. I am very glad that it is subbed and not dubbed, my version at least.
I usually hate dubbed films. There's something about a little Jacky Chan with a deep gruff black voice that just doesn't work.

I love the fight scene in the Dojo between Michelle Yeoh and Ziyi Zhang using all the different weapons.
Also Chen Chang, the guy that plays 'Lo', has some cool trousers.

[http://www.toysnjoys.com/cthd/lo.jpg]
[http://members.optushome.com.au/thesquiz/crouch.jpg]

Don't suppose anyone knows that those sorts of trousers are called, or where I'd get some?

Also I don't really understand what the title means. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon?

[This message has been edited by Mort-Hog (edited August 24, 2004).]
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-08-24, 7:40 AM #9
www.phearwear.com <-- He makes custom clothes, just tell him what you want and he'll make it. I'll even talk to him for you today if you want.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-24, 8:42 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
I'd be interested what Chinese speakers think of it.

I can't help but feel that some of it is lost in the translation. I am very glad that it is subbed and not dubbed, my version at least.
I usually hate dubbed films. There's something about a little Jacky Chan with a deep gruff black voice that just doesn't work.
</font>

yes, i noticed that the lip sync was a little bit off.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-24, 8:49 AM #11
I fell asleep halfway through this movie, so I decided it sucked. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
crap happens...

[This message has been edited by Delphian (edited August 24, 2004).]
2004-08-24, 9:35 AM #12
It's a good movie. But it's nowhere near Hero. If indeed you want to get even farther away from Hollywood, go check Hero. Let's say, to counter-balance Roach, that on the individual persons' level Crouching Tiger may have a stronger story, but not otherwise, necessarily. Understandable, since Crouching Tiger tells about the fate of people, Hero about the fate of a nation, in the end.

------------------
Frozen by ICARUS
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-08-24, 10:32 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
www.phearwear.com <-- He makes custom clothes, just tell him what you want and he'll make it. I'll even talk to him for you today if you want.

</font>

Oh man. Is he expensive?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2004-08-24, 10:36 AM #14
I don't think so *shrug*

Abbyshot trenchcoats can go from like $300 USD - $700 USD, all of his coats go from $150 - $250...Not sure how much pants are, but I'm guessing not that expensive.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-08-24, 12:14 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
I don't think so *shrug*

Abbyshot trenchcoats can go from like $300 USD - $700 USD, all of his coats go from $150 - $250...Not sure how much pants are, but I'm guessing not that expensive.

</font>

So in other words, he IS expensive.
2004-08-24, 12:16 PM #16
Great movie.
2004-08-24, 12:29 PM #17
To quote Ang Lee, the director, it is a "beautiful cinematic language."
2004-08-24, 12:57 PM #18
It was a good film, but I would have prefered a japanese setting due to the simple fact that samurai war masks + great cheorographed fight scenes = [http://forums.massassi.net/html/cool.gif] (Like the program episode of the animatrix)

[This message has been edited by CavEmaN (edited August 24, 2004).]
2004-08-24, 1:22 PM #19
Heh, I don't think many Chinese actors would do that.
2004-08-24, 2:31 PM #20
Hmm maybe I should watch the movie again before going to watch "Hero".
2004-08-24, 2:46 PM #21
I haven't seen it in a long time, but I remember not liking it.

Hero also doesn't look that great in my opinion.

------------------
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side

↑ Up to the top!