Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Handshake.
Handshake.
2009-05-12, 10:44 PM #81
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
He didn't actually say that, I was just giving Mort a hard time.

Now I just look like a fool...:(
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2009-05-12, 11:21 PM #82
A good, firm handshake with eye contact is always better than a limp one with no eye contact. No one can really deny that.

I think Mort-Hog is getting riled up because most of you seem to believe things like a good handshake and personality are "REALLY IMPORTANT" i.e. placing it above credentials in terms of importance. For example...

Quote:
Actually, nothing pisses me off than a weak handshake. Especially when it comes to business.

Quote:
Firm handshake is VERY important in life whether you like it or not, at least in western culture as far as I know.

Quote:
(Reply to Mort-Hog)
Trust me, the superior, older boss, or other acquaintance in any sort of a business or professional setting does NOT think the same thing...the sooner you realize this the more good impressions you will make and the better off you will be.

Quote:
I can't tell you how many times I've heard guys in management positions ***** about other guys who despite "qualifications" such as 4.0 GPAs, fancy degrees, and genius-like scientific and computational skills still cannot communicate worth a damn, socialize worth a damn, "read between the lines" worth a damn, look somebody in the eye, the list goes on and on. A firm handshake plays a huge role in all of this.

On-paper qualifications mean a lot less in the real world than you think, and who you are and the impressions you make mean a whole lot more. Not to say qualifications mean nothing, but your perceptions here are way off base.

etc etc...

For getting a respectable job, credentials are EVERYTHING. Everyone coming into that room for the interview, unless they are completely retarded, will by default have a good handshake and try to project positive energy. I haven't met a single educated person familiar with Western culture who had a bad handshake since the end of high school. Thus, the only way to distinguish yourself at that point is with your credentials. I don't deny that being personable and having a good handshake are important. However, it's extremely easy to pull off a decent handshake, so if you think about it, it's very naive to be judging someone based on it anyway. It's like saying having decent hair is important. Everyone can make their hair look decent and presentable, and no one's going to give a decent job to someone who comes in sporting a neon green mohawk... but who the **** goes into an interview with a mohawk?

Secondly, as for personality, it's really only important during your employment and if you want to move up the corporate hierarchy. Even then it's really more about your job performance than anything else, unless you guys are talking about low-level blue collar jobs (but I don't give two ****s about those). Do you know how many upper-level management people are considered conceited overbearing pricks?

Thirdly, credentials mean a lot. Everyone I know who has great credentials (very high GPA, good school, active in various organizations, sports, etc) has been personable, helpful, smart, and hardworking. The numbers rarely lie, and if they do, it's the exception to the rule. I have a couple friends at MIT and Caltech who approach everything in their life with as much vigor as they do with their studies. People who fail at school usually fail at other aspects in life. The cum laudes of my graduating class went on to get great jobs or fellowships, EASILY. The ones who got Bs and Cs? Yeah, they're easy-going and fun to hang out with. They probably have good handshakes, heh. Anyway, they ended up getting jobs at decent consulting firms, surprisingly. Had they gone to a State University of Bum**** Nowhere, I'm pretty sure they would be living in their parents' basements right now.

If a "good handshake" and "great personality" are the only things on your resume, I'm sorry.
2009-05-12, 11:47 PM #83
to his credit, it some cultures firm hand shakes and eye contact are rude :P

but we dont live there.
2009-05-13, 12:18 AM #84
All this hand shake is important stuff.... are you guys from the 1950's??
Handshakes haven't been important for a very long time now, unless you're trying to get a job from someone who lived in that era.

Hell, a handshake wasn't even involved in half the jobs I've had.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-05-13, 12:45 AM #85
Originally posted by JLee:
omgevil!

uhh, thats his title jlee.

>.> <.<
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2009-05-13, 1:29 AM #86
Originally posted by Deadman:
Handshakes haven't been important for a very long time now, unless you're trying to get a job from someone who lived in that era.

Care to list these jobs?
Pissed Off?
2009-05-13, 5:45 AM #87
Originally posted by Deadman:

That's funny- I think it was involved in every job I've had.

Quote:
However, it's extremely easy to pull off a decent handshake, so if you think about it, it's very naive to be judging someone based on it anyway. It's like saying having decent hair is important. Everyone can make their hair look decent and presentable, and no one's going to give a decent job to someone who comes in sporting a neon green mohawk... but who the **** goes into an interview with a mohawk?

Uh...dude..that's the point. It's not difficult. Some people (i.e. mort) are wayyyy overthinking this. As stated already in this thread, all else being equal, Mr. NoEyeContactLimpWrist is not going to be the guy getting hired. Especially in a job that requires any self-confidence or customer contact.
woot!
2009-05-13, 5:52 AM #88
Well I think burger king would hire him to work in the back.
2009-05-13, 7:24 AM #89
Originally posted by Squirrel King:

Making limp bizkit's?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
2009-05-13, 7:25 AM #90
Oh, and then there's the 'Indian clothes-salesman based in random south-eastern asian country' handshake, which involves holding out a sooky down-turned palm, then trying to drag the prospective customer into their shop by the hand. Dodge that one, especially if there's a lot of yelling of "new suit".
2009-05-13, 11:04 AM #91
Originally posted by Squirrel King:

"I’m gonna go get a new soda. Hey, you know that you can get a refill on any drink you want here, and it’s free?"

"It's a wonderful restaurant!!!"

2009-05-13, 11:28 AM #92
ITT: handshake is serious business
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-05-13, 1:35 PM #93
Originally posted by mscbuck:
The fact that you do something so simple as a firm handshake shows that you are trying, and making sure you make a good impression.

Just to play devil's advocate a bit here, what happens if someone has carpal tunnel, arthritis, a sprained wrist or even just really poor grip strength?

I'm not saying confidence isn't important, but a handshake doesn't really mean anything.
2009-05-13, 2:15 PM #94
A handshake is only part of confidence and appearance. If someone can't help a poor handshake, they should work on other aspects. If they get judged poorly by someone because of it, sucks for them.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-05-13, 3:50 PM #95
A handshake is something you can work on. If you have a crappy handshake, it can be fixed with minimal effort.
Pissed Off?
2009-05-13, 8:50 PM #96
Originally posted by Shayol:
Just to play devil's advocate a bit here, what happens if someone has carpal tunnel, arthritis, a sprained wrist or even just really poor grip strength?

I'm not saying confidence isn't important, but a handshake doesn't really mean anything.

I'm pretty sure things like carpal tunnel / arthritis / sprained wrists are medical problems that are written down on applications before you interview, and are especially medical conditions that are looked at VERY closely in the business world (seeing as your hands are incredibly important). So unless you are assuming that the employer will go out of his way to be cruel and to shake your hand even though you have a medical condition, I don't think your point really matters.

If I had really poor grip strength, I'd mention it. i'd say "sorry, I'd shake your hand firmer, but I don't have much strength in my hands". That would probably really impress them.

2009-05-13, 9:34 PM #97
or it might turn them on

2009-05-13, 11:20 PM #98
Originally posted by mscbuck:
I'm pretty sure things like carpal tunnel / arthritis / sprained wrists are medical problems that are written down on applications before you interview, and are especially medical conditions that are looked at VERY closely in the business world (seeing as your hands are incredibly important). So unless you are assuming that the employer will go out of his way to be cruel and to shake your hand even though you have a medical condition, I don't think your point really matters.

Ok, if the job requires keyboard and mouse work, you probably wouldn't apply if you had arthritis.

Also, what jobs are you applying for that ask for that sort of medical history? None of the applications I've ever seen have asked for it.

Quote:
A handshake is something you can work on. If you have a crappy handshake, it can be fixed with minimal effort.

Can you please direct me to the minimal effort fixes for arthritis? ;)
2009-05-14, 12:23 AM #99
Medical conditions aside, wiseass.
Pissed Off?
2009-05-14, 7:29 PM #100
Originally posted by TheNewKid:
or it might turn them on

Oh baby!

:nonono:
2009-05-14, 7:36 PM #101
Ok, if the job requires keyboard and mouse work, you probably wouldn't apply if you had arthritis.

Also, what jobs are you applying for that ask for that sort of medical history? None of the applications I've ever seen have asked for it.

Depends on what you're doing. IIRC, my application asked for all medical conditions.
woot!
2009-05-14, 11:36 PM #102
You're a cop right? I stand corrected, I remember now that police, army etc all want detailed medical histories (which is fair enough).
2009-05-15, 9:09 AM #103

wish granted!!!

[http://www.armart.antiquanova.com/images/Project_scimitar1.jpg]
:hist101:
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

↑ Up to the top!