Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Attack of the Clones is a really deep movie?
Attack of the Clones is a really deep movie?
2004-08-21, 9:31 AM #1
http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/38/clones1.htm
It's a long read, but skim through some of it. So did Lucas intend all of these symbolisms and allusions, or is this guy reading too far into the movie?
2004-08-21, 9:50 AM #2
I liked AotC for the very reasons the author stated, but also disliked it because of poor performances by the actors, and the movie itself being quite boring between action sequences.

------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas Adams
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2004-08-21, 9:59 AM #3
I don't like sand, it's coarse and irritating. Not like here. Here everything is soft.. and smooth.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-08-21, 10:04 AM #4
"I happen to like nice men."
"I'm a nice man."

Just as corny in my opinion.

------------------
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2004-08-21, 10:13 AM #5
Yeah, Star Wars always had bad dialogue.

------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas Adams
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2004-08-21, 11:19 AM #6
Yah, the bad dialogue was part of the charm of the original trilogy. But it seems as if GL tried to write bad dialogue on purpose for the prequels...

Plus, what the hell is up with Jar Jar?

------------------
Four dimensions, four fundamental forces... coincidence?
Stuff
2004-08-21, 11:24 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kyle90:

Plus, what the hell is up with Jar Jar?

</font>

Kind of late aren't you?

------------------
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War Room.
http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com

"I have no clue why people trust statistics like that. 99% of the time they are made up." - Raoul Duke
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-08-21, 12:40 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth J:
Just as corny in my opinion.</font>

Yeah, but the acting more than made up for it...

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-08-21, 1:39 PM #9
The thing about the new movies is that George Lucas made all the characters Diplomats and Zen masters. It's no wonder the dialogue suffered. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged

Banks and banks of humming machinery! I've never seen so many knobs. We're going to have to do something, Charlie! Try pushing that button there. No? How about that one? No, not that one either. I know! I'll try pushing this one. Hold my hat will you? Good fellow.
2004-08-21, 1:43 PM #10
Since seeing Ep2, Jar Jar seems less hated to me... He actually serves a big role in the formation of the empire, He was left as the representivive(gah, spelling, i suck) of Naboo, he was tricked into making the call for the emergency powers for the chancellor, basicly ushering in the emperor... palapatine did not have to take the power, jar Jar was tricked into giving it to him... I don't think I see a better person to blame for the downfall of the republic.

------------------
Inter arma silent leges
The Gas Station
2004-08-21, 1:49 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Kind of late aren't you?

</font>

Yes, but I couldn't help but rail on what must be the worst use of CGI since... well, I think it set the standard.

Although admittedly, as stated by Grant, Jar Jar was much less annoying in Ep2. In TPM though, there really wasn't much of a point for him to be there (sure, he figured into the plot, but he was in way more scenes than required).

------------------
Stuff
2004-08-21, 2:52 PM #12
Jar Jar would have been a good part if he wasnt so damn stupid. I actually think lucas added him in so it would be more popular with the females. A lot of the girls "JUST LOVE" jar jar. I also think in Ep 6 the ewoks were kind of the same way. But in the end the more "hard core" star wars fans can't stand them.

But yes I do like the new movies and I think the dialoge is probably worse but I do like the action sequences and so far I havent minded the action sequences in Episodes 1 or 2 yet because I think thats what lucas does best. I think the action makes up for all the mellow parts in the movies.

-Xizor

------------------
"The first thing she said when she got in the car was, Mom i aint a virgin anymore. I slapped the hell out her. I spend all this money for you to go to college and your still saying AINT?!!!?!!" -last comic standing
My Personal Site | Remnant Temple Part A | A work in progress
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-08-21, 3:01 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrawn42689:
The thing about the new movies is that George Lucas made all the characters Diplomats and Zen masters. It's no wonder the dialogue suffered. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

</font>

It's all beginning to make sense now...

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man.
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Worship Examples - Christians' love for God should be seen and heard, not merely talked about. It is through actions that one is determined to be Christian, not through words. Words (and thoughts, as well) deceive even one's own self, but the heart speaks truth.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-08-21, 4:05 PM #14
He's a wanna-be intilectual Star Wars nerd! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]
2004-08-21, 4:11 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Prince Xizor:
Jar Jar would have been a good part if he wasnt so damn stupid. I actually think lucas added him in so it would be more popular with the females. A lot of the girls "JUST LOVE" jar jar. I also think in Ep 6 the ewoks were kind of the same way. But in the end the more "hard core" star wars fans can't stand them.

But yes I do like the new movies and I think the dialoge is probably worse but I do like the action sequences and so far I havent minded the action sequences in Episodes 1 or 2 yet because I think thats what lucas does best. I think the action makes up for all the mellow parts in the movies.

-Xizor

</font>

wtf...

Everyone knows that Ewoks TOTALLY pwn Gungans.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-08-21, 5:31 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:

</font>

Heh, I agree. The Ewoks stood their ground against all those stormies and AT-STs (with nothing more than sticks and stones for defense), and the Gungan army hid behind their big shield and retreated as soon as it went down.

------------------
Stuff
2004-08-21, 5:40 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
wtf...

</font>

True statement, indeed.

I think, though, that everyone has to agree: Tuskens would pwn anyone.
2004-08-21, 6:06 PM #18
Tuskens are like freaking kamkaszies (sp?). They'd charge you even if they knew they'd probably loose. Especially if it was over territory.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-08-22, 4:09 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth J:
"I happen to like nice men."
"I'm a nice man."

Just as corny in my opinion.

</font>

I haven't seen the movie for quite awhile, but that was seriously in the movie?

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">A lot of the girls "JUST LOVE" jar jar.</font>

Doubt it, they probably would rather see more of Obi Wan.
2004-08-22, 4:59 PM #20
I saw Episode 2 for Hayden Christiansen.

But really, there is some decent acting in the movie. I thought the scene with Hayden and Amidala after he kills the Tuskans was pretty good.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-22, 5:46 PM #21
Who would've thought that of all people, Jar Jar brought about the destruction of the Republic and the rise of the Empire.

------------------
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-08-22, 5:55 PM #22
Before Episode II came out, I made a prediction. Jar Jar would either die, or somehow be responsible for creating the Empire.
I was right.

------------------
Some of you should learn to think a bit and discover - *gasp* - that someone can dislike Michael Moore, Kerry, and Bush!
-Wolfy
2004-08-22, 6:43 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
I don't like sand, it's coarse and irritating. Not like here. Here everything is soft.. and smooth.</font>

No, it's "I hate sand. It's so...sandy. But you're not sandy. And that is why I love you."

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-08-22, 6:45 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
I saw Episode 2 for Hayden Christiansen.

But really, there is some decent acting in the movie. I thought the scene with Hayden and Amidala after he kills the Tuskans was pretty good.

</font>

Too bad the scene with Anakin getting the vision of his mother was so badly acted that it look like he was having a wet dream, not screaming in terror.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-08-22, 6:59 PM #25
AotC is a really deep movie. It's just that what it's really deep in doesn't smell that nice.

------------------
"The moral of the story? No means no, especially when it comes to the English language. It's not into the kinky stuff you want it to do, and therefore you should not force it." - Darko
"The moral of the story? No means no, especially when it comes to the English language. It's not into the kinky stuff you want it to do, and therefore you should not force it." - Darko
2004-08-22, 11:19 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> The presence of such early Imperial technologies as squat walkers invites further doubt as to the moral virtue of the Republican assault, as does the generally right-to-left direction of their attack (the positive direction in film being of course left-to-right) </font>

I never really put much thought into it,but this part is absolutely right. If I try to recall any massed battle-scene in any major film production, the protagnonists frequently have a tendency to be portrayed on the left, facing to the right (TTT - Helm's Deep, ROTK - Minas Tirith and the Black Gate, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, and even The Patriot (eugh)). Braveheart and The Last Samurai come to mind as notable exceptions.

------------------
Worth a million in prizes, baby.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-08-23, 11:54 AM #27
I'm not going to look at that site or read anything in this thread. I think it is stupid to analyze anything, especially to assign superfluous meaning to things in a movie relative to the plot or character development. The first two movies of the new trilogy are just as bad as the original trilogy. The only reason anyone seems to justify the crap in the first movies is because they are familiar with them and grew to love them. The only reason they didn't like the new trilogy is because it went beyond what they were used to and criticized it for what it was simply because they could not deal with the truth that everything they hold so dear is tripe. And what the hell is a deep movie?

But yeah, Star Wars is pretty cool... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-08-23, 2:59 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I thought the scene with Hayden and Amidala after he kills the Tuskans was pretty good.</font>

I thought that scene had bad acting. Hayden didn't seem that angry in the "I'm the future annihilator of all Jedis". He seemed more angry in the "why didn't you buy me that toy" kind of way.
What makes a movie deep? I don't know, something thought provoking, something with symbolism, something with themes, etc. A movie like 2001 Space Odyssey, I think that was what it was called.
2004-08-23, 3:05 PM #29
Hayden and Amidala after he kills the tuskens was the WORST. SCENE. EVAR.

"I HATE THEM" *cries*

------------------
"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-08-23, 4:39 PM #30
/me pulls out a UPAS-12 Automatic Shotgun and guns down Master Tonberry repeatedtly until he sees nothing but a pile of mince meat.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
2004-08-23, 4:57 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cloud:
A movie like 2001 Space Odyssey, I think that was what it was called.</font>

2001 > *

HAL > *

I LOVE that movie. It is a work of art and godlyness.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-08-23, 5:04 PM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trigger Happy Chewie:
Hayden and Amidala after he kills the tuskens was the WORST. SCENE. EVAR.

"I HATE THEM" *cries*

</font>

exactly... hayden is good at acting like a teenager who's parents won't let him borrow the car... not like a younger version of the most badass dark jedi ever...

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-23, 8:12 PM #33
Ewoks are cool, it was the problem of Ewoks defeating what was supposed to be an elite army that was the problem. Lucas wanted it to be a primitive society I heard, originally on Kashyyyk. Wookiees vs the Imperial Army could easily earn a film an R ratin g.

------------------
2004-08-24, 12:20 AM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
Ewoks are cool, it was the problem of Ewoks defeating what was supposed to be an elite army that was the problem. Lucas wanted it to be a primitive society I heard, originally on Kashyyyk. Wookiees vs the Imperial Army could easily earn a film an R ratin g.

</font>

Yeah, that would be a sight to see. Arms would be flying all over the place, LOL.

-- SavageX

------------------
2004-08-24, 2:49 PM #35
Yeah, but we could just have the Wookies use bowcasters instead of tearing people's arms off. They can also set up traps like the ewoks did.
2004-08-24, 3:08 PM #36
Linked for side scrolling.

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.

[This message has been edited by jEDIkIRBY (edited August 24, 2004).]
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-24, 3:18 PM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cloud:
Yeah, but we could just have the Wookies use bowcasters instead of tearing people's arms off. They can also set up traps like the ewoks did.</font>

True, but not nearly as entertaining, hehe. Besides, it's not like we haven't seen severed arms in Star Wars anyway.

-- SavageX

------------------
2004-08-24, 3:48 PM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
Linked for side scrolling.

</font>

... Who uses a resolution that small any more? If you have to side scroll for that, you need to get out of the dark ages.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand

↑ Up to the top!