Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My ISP is a jerk.
My ISP is a jerk.
2009-05-12, 4:49 PM #1
Suspended connection because apparently someone downloaded Harry Potter audiobooks. Even though we didn't. I'm not at home anymore, but they're saying it was downloaded at a time when I know it was not. They're being bastards, saying the file needs to be deleted off the system before they will turn the tubes back on. I was under the impression that my ISP can't see whats on my system anyway.. so how are they checking this?

My theory is that they are lying through their teeth trying to intimidate my parents into paying a fine for something they didn't do.:tinfoil:

btw they are jerks

o.0
2009-05-12, 4:55 PM #2
Originally posted by Greenboy:
Suspended connection because apparently someone downloaded Harry Potter audiobooks. Even though we didn't. I'm not at home anymore, but they're saying it was downloaded at a time when I know it was not. They're being bastards, saying the file needs to be deleted off the system before they will turn the tubes back on. I was under the impression that my ISP can't see whats on my system anyway.. so how are they checking this?

My theory is that they are lying through their teeth trying to intimidate my parents into paying a fine for something they didn't do.:tinfoil:

btw they are jerks

They can't check, unless you give them your PC or something.

I'd file a complaint or make a big stink if you're 100% sure it wasn't downloaded (and it wasn't over an open wifi connection, etc).
2009-05-12, 4:58 PM #3
Originally posted by Greenboy:
They're being bastards, saying the file needs to be deleted off the system before they will turn the tubes back on.

I'm not sure what this means.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-05-12, 5:08 PM #4
"I don't have it on my computer, so either we never downloaded it or it has been deleted. Gimme intarwebz NAO."
woot!
2009-05-12, 5:14 PM #5
What provider do you use?
2009-05-12, 5:56 PM #6
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
They can't check, unless you give them your PC or something.

I'd file a complaint or make a big stink if you're 100% sure it wasn't downloaded (and it wasn't over an open wifi connection, etc).

It could possibly be over wifi. I accidently left it unsecure before leaving. However, their first instruction was to secure the wifi. Since I'm dealing with my parents over the phone, I just had them unplug the router. Problem solved, right?

No, they say we need to delete the file which is not on the computer, and they can't see anyway?

I'm gonna have to call tomorrow I guess.

o.0
2009-05-12, 6:03 PM #7
well if the file had a tracker on it then the company could have called your ISP and told them. that happened to us too.
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-05-12, 7:13 PM #8
apparently now they're calling it a harry potter rom. Which is more possible. >_>

but they turned it back on, and I'm gonna take all my stuff off that computer in case my parents are dumb and let a technician on it or something.

o.0
2009-05-12, 7:14 PM #9
Quote:
They're being bastards, saying the file needs to be deleted off the system before they will turn the tubes back on.

That's basically the same line from every file sharing cease and desist ever made.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2009-05-12, 7:19 PM #10
Yeah. Playing telephone with my technologically challenged parents in the middle makes things rather confusing.

Earlier the story was that a GBA used our wifi from 5 blocks away to download harry potter audiobooks.

Find the errors!

o.0
2009-05-12, 8:18 PM #11
who the **** downloads harry potter audio books

↑ Up to the top!