Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Stargate: Atlantis
Stargate: Atlantis
2004-08-23, 3:53 PM #1
Ok, I know Ruthy's going to be on this one like a shot.

I just got to see my first episode of Stargate: Atlantis (really hard to get a hold of up here in Canada).

In all honesty, I wasn't impressed. SG1 Just seemed so much more dynamic (though this is a new series). My real problem is that i missed the first few episodes (the one i saw tonight was the one where they found a planet that thought it had a vaccine against the Wraiths).

Can someone clear up some things for me? (i don't mind spoilers, though others might).

What is with the new gate?

Who are the Wraiths?

Where does the series take place? (I'm assuming its in another Galaxy).

Are the builders of Atlantis the Ancients?

Also, what are everybody's impressions of the new series?

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-08-23, 4:16 PM #2
What is with the new gate?
Its part of a newer, more advanced gate system.

Who are the Wraiths?
The race that wiped out the Ancients.

Where does the series take place? (I'm assuming its in another Galaxy).
In a galaxy far, far away...

Are the builders of Atlantis the Ancients?
Yes.

Also, what are everybody's impressions of the new series?
It has potential. However, my guess is it wont survive its first season.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-08-23, 4:37 PM #3
GeeBee, you do realize the the series opener for SG:A had higher ratings than the season 8 opener of SG-1, right?

------------------
[insert various humourous anecdotes here]
2004-08-23, 4:44 PM #4
I really like it, but I missed tonights episode [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-08-23, 4:59 PM #5
To be honest, I really want to watch a series like that, but it's show time conflicts with my internet time. Thus, I don't get to see it. Now if I had cable in my room, it would be a different story.

Of course, the only reason I'd ever leave my room then would be for food.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-08-23, 5:11 PM #6
So, what i've heard is that the gate somehow is opened to another galaxy and an international team made of members from Canada, US, Russia and other places (don't know for sure) venture through and find a diffrent stargate network in a diffrent galaxy, they also wind up using an old "ancients" base as their new SGC, the gates don't spin but light up with little LED type symbols, and it has a forcefeild type Iris. Also, several stargates orbit planets suggesting that it's common in this galaxy to travel by starget and to do so in ships as their base has several vessels designed fro gate travel.

Along their way they discover the sinister wraiths who were at ar with and destroyed the ancients, they now control most of the stargate network in the new galaxy, basicly the atlatis version of the gou'ould.

I look forward to seeing this, you say you saw it in canada? what staion? non i have seen carry it yet. On another note, Space is airing the SG-1 from the start of season one, so far it's into the first few episodes of season 2, which is nice, cause i've only ever caught the series now and then, so now i can watch the whole thing one after another.

------------------
Inter arma silent leges
The Gas Station
2004-08-23, 5:22 PM #7
Stargate: Atlantis is now on the TMN HD channel. Space is supposed to be airing Stargate: SG1 Season 7 this september, and season 6 is airing on CBS (not sure if that just Buffalo's WIBV channel though).

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-08-23, 5:27 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Insipid:
GeeBee, you do realize the the series opener for SG:A had higher ratings than the season 8 opener of SG-1, right?

</font>

Yeah, that makes sense. All the people who watch SG1 + anyone else who's interest they've capitavated (I.E. Me) = more than people who just watch SG1.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
[16:38] Correction: dick tracy was a real man
[16:38] happydud: Actually... He wasn't. :D
[19:08] Dormouse: hi, my name's happydud and i'm passive-aggress.. SHUTUP!! *stabs nearby orphan*
[You have gained 3 Dark Side Points]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-08-23, 6:21 PM #9
I've really liked the series thus far. The dynmaic is a little different with most of the people being civilians. They have some good characters too. I liked Dr. McKay in his SG-1 stints and Major Shepard has been pretty cool thus far.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-23, 6:42 PM #10
The show is not as good as SG-1, and I've come up with the following reasons:

1. The Wraith suck. The Goa`uld are evil because they can *be* anyone, take *anyone*. Then they turn the host into a slave. It's a terrifying thought. Certainly moreso than "OMG SOUL SUCKER LEECHES".

2. Everything is alien. Atlantis is alien. It's all too flashy and not based on or grounded on earth. The only earth stuff is the clothes and guns (which should have run out of ammo by now considering they can't contact earth).

3. It's not on earth. The potential for politics and outside lives as explored in SG-1 is non-existant. Also, the threat of the enemy destroying earth is gone (no global catastrophe possible). Thus the viewer doesn't really care if they die or not.

4. Non-military. The military feel made SG-1 seem more real and grounded. Without a real military base the show just feels like cheesy sci-fi. There's no military base. No underground complex. No soldiers in real camo. Just ATLANTIS GUYS in lamo space sci-fi costumes.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-08-23, 6:50 PM #11
And blackhawk vests!

I think they carry more than one magazine, Osiris. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

But I agree, Atlantis is really lacking. The Wraith seem like an extremely overused sort of villain. Actually, they seem alot like the future villain in "The Time Machine" with Guy Pierce.

Theres just not much chemistry going on...

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-08-23, 7:02 PM #12
Reminds me of "Wormhole Xtreme!" somehow. I think it's all a ploy so that when SG:SG1 finally ends, viewers won't be as disapointed, and can still get there daily dose of Stargate goodness. I don't think it'll ever be as good as SG:SG1 though.

------------------
The Matrix is not Linux compatible.

You need only two tools. WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2004-08-24, 4:12 AM #13
Give it a season or two. SG-1 wasn't all that great the first season.

So far I like it a lot, not as much as I like SG-1, but still. McKay owns.

------------------
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas Adams
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2004-08-24, 5:32 AM #14
Just to add to Osiris' points...

5) Its cheap. Very cheap. For example, in the episode where they "discovered" the door in the roof of the hanger, and took a litle spin around the planet, THEY NEVER SHOWED OUTSIDE THE WINDOWS OF THE CRAFT. They never showed the planet from orbit, they never showed the 'blinding speed' that the craft was supposedly flying at, and they never, not once, showed dry ground.

6) The generic special effects shots are bad. Im actually referring to the wormhole CGI.... In the original movie - where SG1 pulled its wormhole effect - the visuals of the wormhole made sense. They showed the person entering the gate, being disassembled, then sent through the wormhole, which itself spiraled around the 6 planets of the dialed address. It was a beautiful effect, and one of my favorite scenes in the whole film. For Atlantas, however, they redid the effect. While the quality of the image is better, the physics are all wrong. The wormhole is just spirialing out into nowhere, with no obvious gravitational bodies attracting it. Its pathetic. Also, the event horizon effects are really cheezy. They are almost as bad as the effects from the first season of SG1. For example, when one of the 'Puddle Jumper's goes through the gate, the effect is very badly done. Hell, I could have done a better job with xpaint.

7) The plot is absurd. These 'Wraith's supposedly wiped out the Ancients...thats rediculous. If a human with a p90 can kill a Wraith, an Ancient with all their advanced weaponry certainly could have.

[/rant]

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-08-24, 7:45 AM #15
They haven't been using such a detailed effect for gate travel forever in SG-1 so I can't see how that's a big deal. The wraiths managed to rake out the Ancients by sheer numbers, which can overwhelm superior technology anyday.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-08-24, 1:01 PM #16
So far I have seen every episode of the show. But..... I really thought they would be having expiditions furthur into the city. Instead there getting the puddle jumpers stuck in space. Crash landing on a world were you dont live passed 25 or the wraith would find you. They go to a planet were the buildings look ALOT like the modern day buildings on earth. Gee there not doing much exploring. I really want to see them have adventures IN atlantis, and not OUT of atlantis.

------------------
All your my forums, belong to me.
Duel Roadkill
Who wants to play BOOM 3?
BOOM 3
SHOLVAS KREE!
2004-08-24, 1:04 PM #17
There was that one episode where that black could thing got loose in the city and you got to see some more of it. Other than that, what other kind of adventures can they have in an abandoned city?

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-08-24, 1:09 PM #18
Many possiblitys Old ghost of the city could be one a bad *** sea creature.

------------------
All your my forums, belong to me.
Duel Roadkill
Who wants to play BOOM 3?
BOOM 3
SHOLVAS KREE!
2004-08-24, 2:08 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Casperhead:
So far I have seen every episode of the show. But..... I really thought they would be having expiditions furthur into the city. Instead there getting the puddle jumpers stuck in space. Crash landing on a world were you dont live passed 25 or the wraith would find you. They go to a planet were the buildings look ALOT like the modern day buildings on earth. Gee there not doing much exploring. I really want to see them have adventures IN atlantis, and not OUT of atlantis.

</font>

Heavily agreed! I was highly disappointed to see they made Atlantis so small looking. I mean on the exterior shots it looks like you could easily walk through it.

They're basically Star Trek: Voyager just they're not lost in space.

------------------
2004-08-24, 3:08 PM #20
At some point, they'll find another one of those power modules things (whatever they're called) and they'll be able to open up more of the city.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-08-24, 3:53 PM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JudgeDredd:
Reminds me of "Wormhole Xtreme!" somehow. I think it's all a ploy so that when SG:SG1 finally ends, viewers won't be as disapointed, and can still get there daily dose of Stargate goodness. I don't think it'll ever be as good as SG:SG1 though.

</font>

Heh, I was going to say the exact same thing, but I didn't think anyone would understand what "Wormhole X-treme!" was.

Wormhole X-treme really, really feels like Atlantis, to a ridiculous extent. It kinda makes one sad.
------------------
Ω of 14

[This message has been edited by oSiRiS (edited August 24, 2004).]
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[

↑ Up to the top!