Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Gears of War crap
Gears of War crap
2009-05-14, 12:03 AM #1
**** micro$oft. I was actually enjoying Gears of War, played through it on Casual and Hardcore, decided to go for Insane while I was at it.
Just finished chapter 2 when I decide to call it a night, 2 days later when I start it up again, "No checkpoint is saved on the current storage device" WTF? I haven't changed a thing, I've always logged in with my gamertag, and it worked 2 days ago, suddenly whoops, your computer randomly deleted your savegame??? What!?

Looking around online, apparently this was a common issue a year and a half ago when the game was new... Not to mention they claim to have fixed it... liars.

Anyway, I half lucked out here thanks to the fact I installed vista a couple weeks ago, it managed to have a "previous version" of my live account saved from just before I finished the game on Hardcore. So yay vista and it's previous versions!

[/rant]

So, to make this thread actually worth something... what should I play next? I like first person shooters ;)
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2009-05-14, 12:12 AM #2
Originally posted by SG-fan:
**** micro$oft.
Microsoft did not make Gears of War.
2009-05-14, 12:15 AM #3
Sorry I wasn't too clear, it's the whole live thing that screwed up. I restored a backup of my live account and it was partially fixed. Only lost my save games from playing on Insane
2009-05-14, 12:19 AM #4
Xbox 360 ftw.

...well, I say that, I was playing Gears of War when I suffered a RROD and had to send my hexbox to Germany. :(
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2009-05-14, 12:39 AM #5
Sorry I wasn't too clear, it's the whole live thing that screwed up. I restored a backup of my live account and it was partially fixed. Only lost my save games from playing on Insane
Saved games are never stored in your Xbox Live Account. GFWL technical requirements allow for saved games to be stored in CSIDL_PERSONAL, CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA or CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA; strictly speaking, unless you've modified your system settings all of these directories exist within your Windows user directory. I'm not actually sure how Xbox Live even comes into this problem.
2009-05-14, 1:51 AM #6
Mort-Hog I read that the 360 version had this problem too at the time ;)

Considering I restored the following file
C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\Content\*a bunch of random numbered folders\*more random numbers*D_MountPt\4D530842.gpd
which is in the XLive directory, not a Gears of War directory... I'm assuming it was an x-box live file... Especially since they have to throw out a warning "if you don't sign into your profile, any games you play won't exist when you do sign in"

Save games are somehow tied to live accounts, though I'm not implying they're stored online. They're just connected somehow.
2009-05-14, 2:52 AM #7
That sounds needlessly complicated.
2009-05-14, 4:49 AM #8
Also, Gears campaign is painfully easy. Even on insane.
2009-05-14, 5:03 AM #9
Only if you're playing with a vaguely competent friend. The AI is retarded.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2009-05-14, 5:31 AM #10
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Only if you're playing with a vaguely competent friend. The AI is retarded.

^^^ This.

Dom, yes of course I want you to go over there and die.
2009-05-14, 9:07 AM #11
It's total awesomefun if you do have a friend, though. Co-op FPS campaigns are awesome. Shame Army of Two was such utter ****e. And it's also a shame Serious Sam 2 didn't have split screen play (even though Serious Sam 1 did).
2009-05-14, 9:20 AM #12
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Serious Sam 2 didn't have split screen play (even though Serious Sam 1 did).

Wow really? I thought that the whole point of the Serious Sam series was awesome, action-packed cooperative play. I thought the game was just a crappy, generic shooter with HUGE monsters otherwise.

Some game devs just don't understand what part of their games people enjoy and just don't know what to give
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-05-14, 9:26 AM #13
Serious Sam 2 still had Co-Op though.
2009-05-14, 9:39 AM #14
Considering I restored the following file
C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\Content\*a bunch of random numbered folders\*more random numbers*D_MountPt\4D530842.gpd
which is in the XLive directory, not a Gears of War directory... I'm assuming it was an x-box live file... Especially since they have to throw out a warning "if you don't sign into your profile, any games you play won't exist when you do sign in"

That would be CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA.

GWFL requires a game to support multiple users on the same Windows user account. Somewhere along that file path was your Xbox Live account name, but I can absolutely guarantee to you that it wasn't your Xbox Live account that you restored.
2009-05-14, 10:06 AM #15
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Serious Sam 2 still had Co-Op though.

Oh ok, whew.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-05-14, 10:45 AM #16
It had online co-op, but not local split screen co-op. That's not much use me as my Xbox isn't on Xbox Live, and I have much more fun yelling at my friends sitting next to me on my couch. You know we're playing Halo 3 when you can hear screams of "GET TO A SAFE PLACE SO I CAN RESPAWN" or "DRIVE STRAIGHT YOU ****" or "SHOOT JONATHAN ROSS IN THE FACE".
2009-05-14, 12:32 PM #17
I never read past "Micro$oft".
TD;DR.
2009-05-14, 1:20 PM #18
You have to sign into LIVE your account to access your save games.

His live account may have been somehow damaged, but his save-games were probably still intact, he just couldn't access them. That's usually how games work, if I'm correct. Mess up your JK profile name and you won't really be able to load your save games now, will you? :P

At least, that's my take on it.
2009-05-15, 12:46 AM #19
Originally posted by Jon`C:
That would be CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA.

Learn something new every day.

Originally posted by Jon`C:
GWFL requires a game to support multiple users on the same Windows user account. Somewhere along that file path was your Xbox Live account name, but I can absolutely guarantee to you that it wasn't your Xbox Live account that you restored.

Well, either way, I had to restore a file that was necessary due to Games for Windows Live. I may have been a bit too overzealous saying that I restored my live account itself, but I did have to restore a file that tied Live with Gears of War. Whether the account was damaged, or the save was, it was annoying. Especially since that means I lost a cog or two that I found during my replay.

Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
I never read past "Micro$oft".
TD;DR.

That was truly insightful ;)

Oh, and JM, gotta agree with ya, I almost never play games on the hardest difficulty, but that's finally making GoW exciting.

↑ Up to the top!