Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → KotOR PC make Phoenix mad
KotOR PC make Phoenix mad
2004-08-24, 4:01 PM #1
I've played KotOR before on XBox. Great game, only seeing as how I don't own one, the only chance I had to play it was when my friend brought his over. So I never really made it off Taris. Come to think of it, I never really even made it past the Undercity.

So Saturday, I went out to Best Buy, and with my awesome 25 dollah' gift card that's been sitting here since June, I bought it for PC.

I love it. I have all the graphics settings cranked up to their max. It looks GOOD. Today I finally made it off Taris and to Dantooine. As of 45 minutes ago, I'm now a padawan. However, for all of it's goodness, it has two flaws which are really beginning to get on my nerves. Flaws that might not be the game, but my OS or computer instead. Hell, they might even be fixable flaws in the game that the recent patch didn't take care of.

The first is a brightness problem. With the normal brightness, things look WAY to dark. I have it boosted way up so I can see. That's mainly a problem with my monitor more than anything else. However, the game has taken to resetting the brightness control anytime I move to the internal camera, or a cutscene plays. It also resets anytime I quit the game and relaunch. This is the least annoying of the two issues I have. I can kinda deal with it.

The other, is vastly more annoying. It likes to crash. More specifically, it likes to crash occassionally as it finishes loading up a new area. Like, 99% done loading, and it crashes. This means I have to wait about 45 seconds for the game to close down, and then relauch, fix my brightness, and load up where I was previously. I've had this happen a total of 8 times today alone. THIS is annoying.

So aside from those two issues, I love it. Anyone have an idea how to fix them?

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-08-24, 4:03 PM #2
I believe there's a patch that helped with the crashing issues. Also make sure your hardware is all updated

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-24, 4:11 PM #3
It is. This is a new computer I'm working off of. New as in, I got it 2 weeks ago. I updated most of the more important drivers last week when I was having various other game issues.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-08-24, 4:16 PM #4
Well scratch that and try the KotOR patch

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-08-24, 4:19 PM #5
I had the same problem with the crashing, and then I just updated to the latest patch. YOu may not be able to use any of your old save games though, I forget.

------------------
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-08-24, 4:23 PM #6
It crashes for me, but I don't have a brightness problem.

As for the not being able to use your old save games, I think that's only if you saved in certain areas, but I might be thinking of another game (maybe Anachronox).

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-08-24, 4:26 PM #7
If the latest is 1.03, I'm already there. I went looking for an update after I found out it wouldn't let me bind my arrow keys to anything.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-08-24, 4:39 PM #8
wasd all the way baby.

And it has a built-in patcher. Works quite fluidly. Props to BioWare.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 4:50 PM #9
That's what I used. The patcher I mean.

I'ver NEVER been able to use that generic key set-up. It just doesn't work for me at all. My default setup is focused around the arrow keys for movement and extends to the bottom two rows of the NumPad for various special things or alt-fires, and to the comma, period, and slash keys on the keyboard for things like reloading or changing ammo types.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-08-24, 5:07 PM #10
I'm the only one who used the mouse for movement in that game, aren't I?

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-08-24, 5:11 PM #11
I just bought kotor at EB for 17$. I was so sure I would love that game... seeing as how it has gotten awesome reviews, and I had played it at a friends about a year ago. I dont know why, but kotor just isnt appealing to me now... I honestly am getting bored with it and I am still on the first planet. What is wrong with me? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-24, 5:18 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
I'm the only one who used the mouse for movement in that game, aren't I?

</font>

No, actually.

I started using the arrow keys, but quickly got annoyed because I kept having to move the camera along with it. When I discovered that the mouse just did the movement thing better, I started using it instead. I found that out about 15 minutes into the game. I only real things I've been using the keyboard for is movement in the minigames, unpausing the game, and for shortcuts to the Map and whatnot.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand
2004-08-24, 5:48 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
I just bought kotor at EB for 17$. I was so sure I would love that game... seeing as how it has gotten awesome reviews, and I had played it at a friends about a year ago. I dont know why, but kotor just isnt appealing to me now... I honestly am getting bored with it and I am still on the first planet. What is wrong with me? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

</font>

That you're still on the first planet. Get past it and you'll start to see where KotOR shines--as a padawan, then as a Jedi.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 7:08 PM #14
He speaks the truth. Taris was a bore. After that, it gets really fun.

------------------
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!