Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → It's not Doom 3... or Half Life 2 either... they're not the only games in the world.
It's not Doom 3... or Half Life 2 either... they're not the only games in the world.
2004-08-24, 12:50 PM #1
I thought with all this yakking over Half Life 2 and Doom 3 going on about the place we needed to maybe broaden the old horizons and take a look at another game thats got people in perhaps slightly different circles talking - The Sims 2.

Like it or not, September 17th is the release date for the sequel to the best selling PC game of all time, and truth be told, a friend and I are actually quite looking forward to it with the intention of picking up our respective copies once college is out for the day. My only hope is that they don't do the seven expansion pack trick they did with the last one - they want to just cram it all into that one game, sell it and be done with it - people will still buy it in their hundreds and thousands and EA will still turn in a mahoosive profit... oh ok no, not as much as if they made a load of expansion packs... *sigh*

That said though, the reason it's got a lot of people excited is the leaps forward in realism we're looking at - graphics in particular. Okay it's never going to be 100% real because it's not meant to be, but it certainly looks better.

So yeah, can't we just like, discuss something other that Doom 3 or Half Life 2 for five minutes? Post your hopes, your fears, whether or not you're getting it, and if you don't like it, pipe down and bugger off to a thread more suited to you... like a Doom 3 one probably.

[/rant]

------------------
Fire Pretty - Graz's Armoury - (That's my blog...)Choice language warning!

The Soviet Bunker - (That's my forum...)

"Thou shalt not steal. (Because the government doesn't like competition!)"

How to keep an idiot busy: See below
How to keep an idiot busy: See above
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-08-24, 12:54 PM #2
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gee_4ce:
So yeah, can't we just like, discuss something other that Doom 3 or Half Life 2 for five minutes?</font>

No. Doom 3 > The Sims

------------------
ZGPC
2004-08-24, 12:56 PM #3
The Sims is the single best selling PC game, ever. It sold a bazillion copies. You can expect The Sims 2 to do the same. It will take over peoples lives (literally and figuratively) for weeks, even months. You can count on it.

------------------
Empty.

[This message has been edited by Hellequin (edited August 24, 2004).]
2004-08-24, 12:59 PM #4
Theme Park > The Sims

/Just got back from Alton Towers yesterday

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-08-24, 1:10 PM #5
I like Doom 3.

I hate the sims. Why the heck would you simulate....your plain old life? OH OH OH COOKING +1! Go to school the next day: "Oh mannnnn I went out with the hottest chick last night, then we made out!" "Oh DUDE! What did she look like!?." "Well, she was blonde, sexy, and about 25 pixels tall." Friend stares at you and shakes head.

[This message has been edited by LonelyDagger (edited August 24, 2004).]
You...................................
.................................................. ........
.................................................. ....rock!
2004-08-24, 1:11 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:

No. Doom 3 > The Sims
</font>

Kyle wins.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 1:14 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It's not Doom 3... or Half Life 2 either... they're not the only games in the world. </font>

to a frag fanatic they are.
2004-08-24, 1:14 PM #8
the sims sells well b/c it appeals to both male and female, and the only pc game my female friends seem to have ever played are pinball and the sims, it's like pc barbie, <vomits>

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it</font>

---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2004-08-24, 1:22 PM #9
Myst used to be the best selling PC game of all time [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]... it was far more deserving of that honor, for multiple reasons.

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-08-24, 1:25 PM #10
I prefer to simulate my life in the real world [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-24, 1:37 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
Quote:
Originally posted by Gee_4ce:
So yeah, can't we just like, discuss something other that Doom 3 or Half Life 2 for five minutes?</font>

No. Doom 3 > The Sims

[/B]

I didn't ask you to tell me if you think Doom 3 is better than The Sims.

------------------

2004-08-24, 1:39 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
I prefer to simulate my life in the real world [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

</font>

As do I oddly enough. The main point for me in particular is that The Sims was my first ever PC game... *shrug* I knew I'd get a load of bashing and harsh comments off you lot... *shakes head*

------------------

2004-08-24, 1:43 PM #13
The Sims was enjoyable, but it required paying too much attention, i've heard the sequel is focused more towards making them do interesting things rather than trying to keep them alive and employed.

I'm certainly considering getting it, emergent behaviour is something I have an interest in.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-08-24, 1:43 PM #14
the sims is fun b/c you can drown people in the pool in some of the games. Try doing that in real life [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 24, 2004).]
2004-08-24, 1:46 PM #15
All game > Sims
I just love doning things on the PC, when I could be doing them in real life. So instead of being successful in real life your successfull on your PC. We play PC games to simulate what we can't do in real life. Not to simulate eating and sleeping. Oh look! My guy fell asleep! *gasp*
2004-08-24, 1:51 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ:
The Sims was enjoyable, but it required paying too much attention, i've heard the sequel is focused more towards making them do interesting things rather than trying to keep them alive and employed.

I'm certainly considering getting it, emergent behaviour is something I have an interest in.
</font>

Prize for the first useful and relevant comment to you Sir. Congratulations.

------------------

2004-08-24, 2:07 PM #17
i loved doing crazy things to the pople in the sims... like i moved a bunch of fred dursts into a house and killed them all off... my favorite was sealing one up in the bathroom... he may have starved to death but he was clean the rest had no shower or toilet... i later removed the kitchen sink... and the beds... at the end when only 4 remained they had a chair, a fridge, a stove, and a guitar and only one room that they couldn't leave

i'm evil

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-24, 4:53 PM #18
I wanna Sims game that lets me move them to the ghetto, where they can become drug dealers, be involved in a driveby, etc. Starting a Sims gang-war would be great fun.

But, I'd much rather talk about Doom 3, since Doom was my first PC game (well, if you consider the Commodore 64 a PC, then that's not true).
2004-08-24, 5:49 PM #19
2 things that annoy me about the Sims:

1. There's more frickin' expansions than I could possibly ever count.. I mean, good lord, you could probably fill a Best Buy with all of them.

2. Everytime I played it, I got this strange feeling.. like.. I should get up, go outside, and live my life instead of simulating it.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-24, 5:53 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
2 things that annoy me about the Sims:

1. There's more frickin' expansions than I could possibly ever count.. I mean, good lord, you could probably fill a Best Buy with all of them.

2. Everytime I played it, I got this strange feeling.. like.. I should get up, go outside, and live my life instead of simulating it.

</font>

YES!

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 6:09 PM #21
The sims isn't a game. It's a not-game, bent on entertaining the masses. The same people that watch MTV and think a good boyfriend is someone who buys them a corvet. I may be generalizing, but generally: I'm right. The game developers think they're making some fantastic new genre of amazing video-games. No, they're just making the most expensive chatroom ever.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-24, 6:12 PM #22
I found the Sims really annoying. It took your dude 4 freaken hours to get up, get dressed, have a shower, breakfast, and get to work! Hell I am not a morning person by the largest stretch of the imagination, but even I move faster than that.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-08-25, 12:28 AM #23
I enjoyed the Sims, but the expansions were a bit over-the-top. I originally brought it because I really like the Sim- games as it is.

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.

↑ Up to the top!