Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → GTA3 crashing, getting really pissed off...
GTA3 crashing, getting really pissed off...
2004-08-24, 6:39 PM #1
Gah, i'm so sick of it!!! Every time i play the GTA3 port for windows, it starts out okay, but it soon hangs, and only cutting the power and rebooting will stop it. It will hang at random, although it seems to prefer doing it when something blows up.

I have the liberty city mod for vice city, which is much more stable and looks better, but the problem with that is that none of the GTA3 missions are available in that mod, so all you can do with that is explore.

Is there any way to solve this crashing problem, like a patch or something?

Here are my specs, which are more than sufficient for a game this old;

Athlon 3000 2.15 GHZ
512 MB ram
160 GB HD
Via unichrome chipset (its a piece of s*** 3d accelerator with horrible drivers, but I doubt that that's the problem, as people with newer nvidias and radeons have had it crash too from what I've heard.)

anyone?

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited August 24, 2004).]
2004-08-24, 6:42 PM #2
Just a bad engine. Sucks. It's never given me a problem, but still a bad engine. :\

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 6:49 PM #3
no problems here... but yeah bad engine... designed for consoles and it's still buggy on consoles

well one problem... even with draw distance maxed the environment likes to load while i'm driving on air sometimes

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-08-24, 6:51 PM #4
Yeah, no-cd crack fixed that in Vice City...didn't in GT3.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-24, 6:52 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
no problems here... but yeah bad engine... designed for consoles and it's still buggy on consoles

well one problem... even with draw distance maxed the environment likes to load while i'm driving on air sometimes

</font>

That's something I don't get though, VC is still the same engine, only its slightly upgraded and it has new vehicles.

However, its infinitely more stable. I can play VC all day if I wanted to and get no problems.

And yes, that driving on water effect is annoying as hell. I like to haul a** in the game (stupid laws won't let me drive full throttle IRL, so i compensate by unleashing herll on the poor denizens of liberty and vice cities. ) and the engine can't catch up with me. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-08-25, 5:15 AM #6
Remedy for GTA games crashing: Killing spree [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] Prove all those soccer moms right.

------------------
"Dalton, that pie just moved of it's own accord."

"You must be mistaken, Tess. A pie can't move."
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-08-25, 6:21 AM #7
To fix the draw distance thing you have to turn on the frame limiter (Or run in win98 compatibility mode).

------------------
╔═════════════╦══════════════════╗
║ TheJkWhoSaysNi║ -----@% (Snail racing. ) .║
╠═════════════╩══════════════════╣
║Warning: This post may contain traces of nut║
╚════════════════════════════════╝
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-08-25, 6:34 AM #8
Get a PlayStation 2. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-08-25, 9:02 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
To fix the draw distance thing you have to turn on the frame limiter (Or run in win98 compatibility mode).

</font>

yay fixed

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!