Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I've fully changed my opinion on laptops.
I've fully changed my opinion on laptops.
2004-08-25, 4:27 PM #1
After having this D600 for two days, I must say I love it.

Previously my opinion on laptops was basically "I have little use for something so expensive and with such little power."

Must say though, I've eaten those words, lol. I guess one major reason is that this is a pretty powerful little laptop.

The ability to roam around and have wireless access on like 80% of the campus is just nice.
2004-08-25, 4:48 PM #2
but can it play Far Cry or Doom 3?

------------------
Debating politics on the internet is about as useful and productive as shoving a broomstick up your *** .
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-08-25, 4:49 PM #3
It could potentially run Doom 3 really, really low, but that's not the point.

The concept of "gaming laptops" is still quite silly to me.
2004-08-25, 4:51 PM #4
I game alot on my laptop. Mobile gaming fun.

But, of course, not high-end games.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (I don't know why I have this still in my sig)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-25, 9:03 PM #5
So will you become one of the guys who thinks it's a pity not to use the expensive notebook even in lecture and start surfing for really inane things and playing solitaire?

------------------
"Music is the universal language and the
dialect we speak in is Hip Hop!" - King Solomon
2004-08-25, 9:14 PM #6
Laptops have their uses. If I could affoard one, I'd get one for taking to class for notes, and mobile internet stuff.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-26, 3:33 AM #7
Some of you say gaming laptops can't play games? They are faster now, then my system...

My system:
Pentium 4 2.7Ghz w/HT
768MB PC3200
Radeon 9800 Pro @ 415/365

------------------
[="Rememeber that history isn't how the corporate controlled media made it look like. Read between the lines and free your mind. Evolution is the birth of equality and the anti-thesis to opression." - Immortal Technique=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[This message has been edited by Sol (edited August 26, 2004).]

Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-08-26, 3:59 AM #8
Laptops CAN be good for gaming. If you get the right one.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-26, 4:09 AM #9
I got a Pentium 75, 40 MB RAM, 10 GB HD laptop for free.

The batteries are at least 4 years old, and they still hold their charge.

<3

------------------
<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
<jipe> .. yes, Ubuu, we're racist commy nazi jews, and we hate male pattern baldness
<Professor`K> Sorry, but half-way through your logic, my head exploded
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-08-26, 4:13 AM #10
/me huggles his defenestrated Dell Latitude c400... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Gonads are useful for their purpose, but they are no substitute for brains.
:wq!
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-08-26, 4:16 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
I got a Pentium 75, 40 MB RAM, 10 GB HD laptop for free.

The batteries are at least 4 years old, and they still hold their charge.

<3

</font>

That's what we call a "leet machine"

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-26, 4:48 AM #12
But laptops can't be upgraded, can they?

------------------
Debating politics on the internet is about as useful and productive as shoving a broomstick up your *** .
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-08-26, 6:26 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth:
It could potentially run Doom 3 really, really low, but that's not the point.

The concept of "gaming laptops" is still quite silly to me.
</font>

My dad plays CoD on his with no lag whatsoever. It can probably run farcry and DooM3 with low settings. The real problem is the monitor is too small for any good res

------------------
"Dalton, that pie just moved of it's own accord."

"You must be mistaken, Tess. A pie can't move."

*does the hippo*
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-08-26, 6:27 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sol:
Some of you say gaming laptops can't play games? They are faster now, then my system...

My system:
Pentium 4 2.7Ghz w/HT
768MB PC3200
Radeon 9800 Pro @ 415/365

</font>

Too bad that's about twice as expensive as a comparable PC.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-08-26, 6:29 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
But laptops can't be upgraded, can they?

</font>

Most have a RAM expansion slot these days, but that's about it for an easy upgrade.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-08-26, 7:14 AM #16
Point being, my D600 weighs less than 5 pounds, has roughly 4 hours of battery life on general usage (single 6 cell battery), and doesn't get hot at all while I'm using it.

Find me a "gaming laptop" that can claim similar things.

Then you want to play FPSs on it. You're definitely going to be carrying a mouse around with you at this point unless you really want to put yourself through the pain of trying it with a touchpad or keyboard nipple.

This could of course run anything 1-2 years or older fine (1.6 GHz Pentium M, gig of memory, 32 MB Radeon 9000), but that's definitely not what I have it for.

As far as upgrades, aside from memory, modular bay devices, external USB devices, and a hard drive, no, not really. But this isn't a desktop and it's not intended to function like a desktop. Now there are some laptops that sport upgradeable video cards (I think even the D800's can be changed now).

[This message has been edited by Darth (edited August 26, 2004).]
2004-08-26, 10:22 AM #17
www.voodoopc.com laptops > *

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-08-26, 11:33 AM #18
Gaming laptops boast humongous battery lifes. If you're not gaming.

Sure they're a bit heavy (10 pounds is the heaviest I've seen), but if you have even a DECENT laptop bag, it's just like any other school book. Not that heavy with proper distribution of weight.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-26, 1:16 PM #19
Ever carried a backpack with 3+ large college textbooks, notebooks, and a laptop around on a large college campus in 90 degree weather? When that's the case, you want to eliminate as much extra weight as you can.
2004-08-26, 1:24 PM #20
My laptop (Geoff) is possibly getting dragged on a half hour trek to uni everyday for me to use matlab, but also have the proccessing power to run the programs I'll be making - the pc's in the department are a touch shoddy, and at least I'll have wireless and music...

/Hugs Geoff [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-08-26, 1:27 PM #21
I plan on buying a cheap laptop when I go to college. All it relly has to do is have wireless capability and the ability to run Civ3...

------------------
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-08-26, 1:46 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth:
Ever carried a backpack with 3+ large college textbooks, notebooks, and a laptop around on a large college campus in 90 degree weather? When that's the case, you want to eliminate as much extra weight as you can.</font>

The equivalent. Trust me, I know how it is. It's not THAT bad. Weakling [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-08-26, 1:53 PM #23
And tell me, what is "the equivalent"?

It's hardly like you're carrying it by itself or carrying it for a short distance. It's carrying it in addition to 50-60+ lbs of other stuff for quite a long walk in humid 90 degree weather. There is a reason that there's a larger market for smaller laptops than the huge ones. No one I know (regardless of size, strength, whatever) likes carrying around a 10 poundish laptop when they can carry around something 4-5 lbs or even smaller.

↑ Up to the top!