Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Beatles - Remastered
The Beatles - Remastered
2009-07-18, 2:26 AM #1
Does anyone else plan on picking up either the Stereo or Mono Boxsets coming out in September? I'm buying the Stereo one for sure, and I'm currently debating if I want to spend the additional $250 to pick up the Mono set as well. I'd wait a while and buy it, but they're limiting them to 10,000 so people like me dish out money that we currently shouldn't be spending....bastards.

Also, if you haven't heard the re-masters yet, take a listen to this trailer (and prepare to crap your balls out of your eye sockets)

...and if you are one of those mentally defunct boobs that doesn't like The Beatles- go choke on something large.

Stereo & Mono
What's the big deal between the mono and stereo versions?
Think while it's still legal.
2009-07-18, 5:58 AM #2
Hasn't the Beatles been "remastered" like 10 times before this one?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-07-18, 6:23 AM #3
I don't like enough of their songs to justify buying them all
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-07-18, 7:31 AM #4
I love the Beatles. I won't be buying any of that stuff, but I still love the Beatles. And the video sure made it sound nice.

I like George's bit at the very end of the video.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-07-18, 7:55 AM #5
Also notable is the fact that September will mark the debut of digital distribution of The Beatles songs.

Overall I'm pretty excited about this.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-07-18, 8:40 AM #6
I only liked A Hard Day's Night, but good news for Beatles fans.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2009-07-18, 9:03 AM #7
This is funny, last night I was just wondering out loud to some friends about what the Beatles Remasters would be like, and now I know! The stereo mixes are a must have, I don't think I can really justify/afford spending the extra kwan for mono...
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2009-07-18, 1:50 PM #8
i'm actually pretty excited about this...
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-07-18, 1:56 PM #9
Why would you buy the mono version?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2009-07-18, 2:03 PM #10
The video sounds great, but is this an actual, good remaster or a highly compressed bull**** release by the incompetent recording industry?

A lot of other remasters are complete crap. Comparing the waveforms of the originals with remastered versions often reveals absurd amounts of compression. In some cases, like (as I recall) with Led Zeppelin's remasters, someone competent, in that case Jimmy Page, oversaw the mastering and they ended up quite good.

Then there are remasters done from the original master tapes, like Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs does. Their masters of Pink Floyd are :awesome: :master: :awesome:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-07-18, 2:21 PM #11
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Hasn't the Beatles been "remastered" like 10 times before this one?

No, actually.

And Tracer they've done it in both Stereo and Mono because all the albums were originally available both. :P

I can't say I'm going to buy the box set but I might get some of it at some point. I am however considering getting the boxset of everything the Pixies ever recorded when it comes out later this year. :P
nope.
2009-07-18, 2:23 PM #12
Most of the albums were recorded in Mono (except for Yellow Submarine and Abbey Road) and the Stereo versions were produced by the record labels, not The Beatles themselves. So the Mono versions are sort of the 'definitive versions' of all the songs. The Stereo usually sound a lot better, but the mono has it's charm...and it has a lot more charm when you're a Beatles freak.

Originally posted by Emon:
The video sounds great, but is this an actual, good remaster or a highly compressed bull**** release by the incompetent recording industry?

I've read that this was a concern of the people remastering the tracks and so they were very careful not to fall into that trap. They said that on the Stereo all of the tracks have been properly equalized so that they all remain essentially the same volume throughout playback.
Think while it's still legal.
2009-07-18, 2:36 PM #13
I knew there was a good reason why I bought old CDs.
2009-07-18, 2:38 PM #14
Pity the mastering is better on the vinyl LPs than any of the cd releases so far. :P
nope.
2009-07-18, 2:40 PM #15
You can... uh... 'get' versions where people digitized vinyl records.
2009-07-18, 2:41 PM #16
It's kind of sad that the guitar hero versions are better. O.o
2009-07-18, 2:43 PM #17
Well then surely you didn't buy old cds. :P
nope.
2009-07-18, 2:50 PM #18
No, I meant, whenever I buy a cd, it's old. Like at garage sales or whatever.
2009-07-21, 8:28 PM #19
I'm not buying the box set as soon as it comes out since I'm getting The Beatles: Rock Band, but I will buy all of the CDs separately.
2009-07-21, 8:42 PM #20
Originally posted by SAJN:
I've read that this was a concern of the people remastering the tracks and so they were very careful not to fall into that trap. They said that on the Stereo all of the tracks have been properly equalized so that they all remain essentially the same volume throughout playback.

Are you sure you understood it correctly? Because making the track the same volume throughout its length is exactly the problem. Music, good music like The Beatles usually has soft points and loud points, soft instruments and loud instruments. Making it all the same volume would be very very bad.
2009-07-21, 9:04 PM #21
This will go great next to my Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd remastered box sets.

And they say pirates don't buy anything. You just have to make it worth buying.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-07-21, 9:22 PM #22
You're a pirate?

2009-07-21, 9:30 PM #23
Which Pink Floyd remaster do you have? The ones by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab are the best.
2009-07-21, 9:59 PM #24
Originally posted by Emon:
Are you sure you understood it correctly? Because making the track the same volume throughout its length is exactly the problem. Music, good music like The Beatles usually has soft points and loud points, soft instruments and loud instruments. Making it all the same volume would be very very bad.

Emon speaks the truth. Todays "remastering" often is little more than jacking up the volume and doing away with any dynamics present in the song.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-07-21, 10:16 PM #25
No way. 300 a piece. I bought the other one.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-07-21, 11:00 PM #26
Oh right the ridiculous gold CDs. I just pirated them. No way I will pay that much for what is basically physical medium. Throw it on an average CD, I'd rip it to FLAC and have it forever in some form or another. I guess it really appeals to collectors.
2009-07-22, 2:32 AM #27
I'd rather have a "The Doors" remastering.
" I am the Lizard King, I can do anyhthing... "
2009-07-22, 4:29 AM #28
I think they've remastered all their albums.

Even the crap ones.
nope.
2009-07-23, 6:59 PM #29
Does anyone know if these remasters will have bonus tracks? I know Revolution was only released as a single, and I'm hoping that would be included on the White Album.
2009-07-23, 9:12 PM #30
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
I like George's bit at the very end of the video.

That's John.

↑ Up to the top!