Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Good/cheap VoIP anyone?
Good/cheap VoIP anyone?
2009-07-21, 4:01 PM #1
Anyone have any recommendations? I'm using Vonage right now, but I've noticed a lot more cheaper services popping up. Anyone have any first hand experience with anyone other than vonage?
Lyrics are highly overrated.
2009-07-21, 5:04 PM #2
I use Skype on the side, and while I can call out I don't use it like a full phone replacement.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2009-07-21, 6:22 PM #3
I use Skype to call China. But because you need to use it with your computer, it can't really replace a land line.

I think I've narrowed it down to these two;
http://www.phonepower.com/
http://www.intalk.com/

They've both gotten good reviews and start around 15-16 USD per month.
2009-07-21, 10:11 PM #4
Teamspeak
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2009-07-22, 7:55 AM #5
Originally posted by UltimatePotato:
Teamspeak

TS sux, ventrillo ftw
2009-07-22, 8:57 AM #6
I've never used vent. Is it really better for gaming voip or is it just another thing like firefox vs opera?

If you've ever heard of Mumble though, it has way better sound quality and lower latency than apparently both of them. And it's got positional 3d audio for a lot of games (the next version of teamspeak is supposed to get this too). And it's open source.

However, I presume the OP is looking for VOIP for things like business?
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2009-07-22, 9:47 AM #7
Yeah, it's for business. But by all means, carry on. Many of the people here might be more interested in voip for games.

↑ Up to the top!