Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Sam Raimi to Direct World of Warcraft movie
Sam Raimi to Direct World of Warcraft movie
2009-07-21, 9:35 PM #1
Apparently Harry Knowles got confirmation of it this evening

linkie:

http://aintitcool.com/node/41761
2009-07-21, 9:39 PM #2
How does this movie work? Are they gonna follow a bunch a players around and watch them level up? Or is this going to be about the players playing the players.
Lyrics are highly overrated.
2009-07-21, 9:45 PM #3
It's going to be like the watchmen.

It's a tale not of good vs evil, but of alternating perspectives of both sides and lots of moral ambiguity.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2009-07-21, 9:46 PM #4
lol
2009-07-21, 10:02 PM #5
dude im gonna preorder the tickets man

any body wanna watch it with me im so lonley

2009-07-21, 10:17 PM #6
It will be nothing like "the watchmen."

That comparison doesn't even make sense. What a cash in.

I'll bet it's going to suck. I can see very few things that could work in a WoW film.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2009-07-21, 10:30 PM #7
100 millionbills is a lot dude
at least the cg will be good

2009-07-21, 10:33 PM #8
It's probably going to be about the warcraft universe, and is only having the wow movie as a name-brand recognition moniker.

If so it could be cool.

The alternative makes me want to die a little inside.
D E A T H
2009-07-21, 10:47 PM #9
This movie will flop unless they figure out a way to stream the movie in-game and charge the ticket price to your WoW account.
Lyrics are highly overrated.
2009-07-22, 2:35 AM #10
I'm not a big Raimi fan. However, I'll reserve judgement because I do enjoy World of Warcraft.
? :)
2009-07-22, 2:59 AM #11
Watch it be like the WoW fan stuff. An in game movie. They will run instances and such:p
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2009-07-22, 4:30 AM #12
unless its The Guild: The Movie, I won't watch

>.>
and Felica Day has to be a main project leader
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2009-07-22, 4:36 AM #13
Originally posted by Mentat:
I'm not a big Raimi fan. However, I'll reserve judgement because I do enjoy World of Warcraft.

I didn't enjoy WOW, but I am a big Raimi fan. We should go see it together. :P
nope.
2009-07-22, 8:19 AM #14
It's officially official.

http://www.blizzard.com/us/press/090721.html
2009-07-22, 8:21 AM #15
I'd rather have a movie based in the Diablo universe. Diablo II actually had a pretty cool story, I especially enjoyed the cutscenes.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2009-07-22, 8:48 AM #16
I would go to a movie theatre to see just the cutscenes from DII...
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-07-22, 4:00 PM #17
Bruce Campbell cameo as a tribute to Leeroy jenkins?
2009-07-22, 4:11 PM #18
I can see now that they've ran out of good ideas for movies. :)
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-07-22, 4:57 PM #19
It's not a WOLRD of warcraft movie, it's WARCRAFT movie. There were three games that came before WoW and several RPG guide books and novels. There is tons of lore and interesting stories that could be told.

The story of the First or even second war, the story of the orcs curruption and ultimate redemption from the influence of demons, several major battles could be made into an epic story.

even simple quests and things could be made into an awesome movie, the events leading up to the first war, the Corruption of the Last Guardian who opened the gates for the orcs into the world, even small things like the building of stormwind and the Nobles short changing the mason's and their spilt into a gang of bandits pilliging the countyside.

the story of the black-dragon taken human form corrupting the stormwind nobilty and her eventual discovery and defeat, the kidnapping of the king himself and his troublesome journey back to the throne, even Thralls story could be and awesome movie or the story of Arthas and how he started his life as a brilliant prince and powerful paladin and his obessions with defeating the undead and his own eventual fall to the darkside and Jania, his one true loves torment at seeing everything she and him once stood for crumble.

There is YEARS worth of lore they could base a movie or even a franchise of movies off of.
The Gas Station
2009-07-22, 5:01 PM #20
Originally posted by Temperamental:
link info

Originally posted by Grant:
stuff

Ya, just noticed the link after I posted. Looks somewhat more interesting now. :)
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-07-22, 8:14 PM #21
Originally posted by Grant:
It's not a WOLRD of warcraft movie, it's WARCRAFT movie. There were three games that came before WoW and several RPG guide books and novels. There is tons of lore and interesting stories that could be told.

The story of the First or even second war, the story of the orcs curruption and ultimate redemption from the influence of demons, several major battles could be made into an epic story.

even simple quests and things could be made into an awesome movie, the events leading up to the first war, the Corruption of the Last Guardian who opened the gates for the orcs into the world, even small things like the building of stormwind and the Nobles short changing the mason's and their spilt into a gang of bandits pilliging the countyside.

the story of the black-dragon taken human form corrupting the stormwind nobilty and her eventual discovery and defeat, the kidnapping of the king himself and his troublesome journey back to the throne, even Thralls story could be and awesome movie or the story of Arthas and how he started his life as a brilliant prince and powerful paladin and his obessions with defeating the undead and his own eventual fall to the darkside and Jania, his one true loves torment at seeing everything she and him once stood for crumble.

There is YEARS worth of lore they could base a movie or even a franchise of movies off of.

There were a lot more than 3 games, and I don't think they'll do Arthas' story cause its too closely an allegory to Arthur's.
D E A T H
2009-07-23, 9:14 PM #22
Wish he would focus on Spider-Man 4...
2009-07-23, 9:57 PM #23
He's doing this AFTER Spider Man 4.

Do you KNOW what kind of SMELL will be in that movie theater?? Man I'm dry heaving thinking about it.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-07-23, 10:14 PM #24
Originally posted by dalf:
He's doing this AFTER Spider Man 4.

Do you KNOW what kind of SMELL will be in that movie theater?? Man I'm dry heaving thinking about it.

the smell of butter from popcorns

2009-07-23, 10:55 PM #25
Funny thing is, no wow players will get off their collective fat asses to see it.
2009-07-23, 11:08 PM #26
Originally posted by Couchman:
Wish he would focus on Spider-Man 4...

Considering how bad Spider-Man 3 was, I wish he would not.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2009-07-24, 12:12 AM #27
Man, it sucks that WoW has given the warcraft series such a bad name. It really does have a great universe/storyline.

NERDBOYS ARE AT IT AGAIN
D E A T H
2009-07-24, 12:55 AM #28
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Funny thing is, no wow players will get off their collective fat asses to see it.

Either that, or they will venture out into the world, blinded by the sun. They'll find that their cars don't work like mounts. The sudden rush of these horrifying creatures will cause panic in the streets, highways, sidewalks, etc. They'll attempt to engage in their ritual, known as 'grinding,' with us innocents the victims. The massive demand in gasoline will cause prices to skyrocket, and supplies to run dry. Attempts to pacify these dazed and confused creatures will only cause massive stampedes. It will be chaos. It will be the end of civilization as we know it. That is... unless we ready ourselves, Massassi!

We must rise from the ashes, victorious in this War of IRLcraft! We must be strong when facing the coming darkness! This is a sign of the end, if we don't act! :tinfoil:
2009-07-24, 2:06 AM #29
Harry Knowles is a fat sack of crap btw.
2009-07-24, 8:20 AM #30
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Man, it sucks that WoW has given the warcraft series such a bad name. It really does have a great universe/storyline.

WoW adds a lot to the universe and storyline, trouble is most people are too busy rushing to level to pay attention
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-07-24, 8:49 AM #31
This movie is not going to suck. Despite me not being a fan of Warcraft (and before being accused of WoW bashing, I played through Warcraft I and II), I know this for a fact.

How do I know this to be true?

Because Blizzard is involved with the project. And when have they EVER let something bad come out with their name on it? Oh, right. NEVER.

They'll cancel things even when they've put a ton of time and money and publicity into them (ex. Starcraft Ghost) if they don't like where it's going.

I might not like it, but it will be a big hit.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-07-24, 8:59 AM #32
Originally posted by Deadman:
WoW adds a lot to the universe and storyline, trouble is most people are too busy rushing to level to pay attention

Not really, it mostly just expands upon already set up plotlines and shows things already put down either in game format or book format (or comic for that matter).
D E A T H
2009-07-24, 10:23 AM #33
I usually find their opening cinematics entertaining. I hope it uses the same CG style. Live action would suck.
2009-07-24, 1:49 PM #34
Originally posted by happydud:
Because Blizzard is involved with the project. And when have they EVER let something bad come out with their name on it? Oh, right. NEVER.

Tell that to Diablo III's new visual style. :(
Warhead[97]
2009-07-24, 2:04 PM #35
Hippy blood and unicorns!
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-07-24, 2:09 PM #36
Haha, exactly.
Warhead[97]
2009-07-24, 3:28 PM #37
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
Tell that to Diablo III's new visual style. :(

The new style is fine, I think the game is looking fantastic.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-07-24, 4:11 PM #38
Not to derail, but sure the style is fine. It works for the 'Craft games, it's good. It's just not Diablo. I'm sure the game will play great and look great. It just won't look like Diablo.
Warhead[97]
2009-07-24, 7:17 PM #39
the game hasn't come out yet. dont judge the game on a few minutes of footage that came out showing the mechanics of how each class works, unless you happen to be a family relative of one of the blizzard employees and are participating in the alpha stage

its not even beta yet

2009-07-24, 9:24 PM #40
All I need to know about the game's visual style I can tell from a screenshot. Even moreso the gameplay video. They're not going to just up and redo all of the graphics right before release.
Warhead[97]

↑ Up to the top!