Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → artwork for Hot Death Uno
artwork for Hot Death Uno
2009-07-24, 5:41 PM #1
I was thinking earlier today that I should make a flash version of Hot Death Uno. I have the old exe, but it is somewhat buggy with occasional crashes and a bug that doesn't always count the points correctly.

Anyway, I need help with the background artwork that the rest of the game takes place on. I fiddled with the words "Hot Death" written in flames and a gold UNO below it, but like most of my artwork, it's crap.

If any of you would like to create a 750x550 image for the background (*rollseyes* I know this a cue for bad paint/PS images - oh well), you would be duly credited in the game, when it is finished. I think I can do the rest.

Or heck, even ideas or rough sketches would help.

[EDIT: As you see, the background is crap. White or black background still makes it all too high contrast and I think will make the game area (which will sit on top) to cluttered and distracting.]
Attachment: 22372/HDU_background.jpg (49,895 bytes)
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-07-26, 11:46 AM #2
Ok, here's the regular UNO number cards. Once I do the "action" cards (like Draw Two, etc), then I'll start on the Hot Death UNO cards (like M.A.D., Montezuma's Revenge, Glasnost, etc.).
Attachment: 22380/number cards portrait.jpg (66,543 bytes)
2009-07-26, 6:04 PM #3
The rest of the action cards. Next up, the Hot Death cards. I also went back and fixed the shadows on the number cards so they were more uniform from card to card.
Attachment: 22382/action cards portrait.jpg (111,568 bytes)
2009-07-26, 6:16 PM #4
Sometimes simple backgrounds are the best.

Example:

[http://www.sharecg.com/images/medium/379.jpg]

2009-07-26, 6:55 PM #5
That Magic-eye puzzle sucks. :colbert:
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2009-07-26, 7:29 PM #6
If that's actually a magic eye, I can't get it to focus. It just kind of... swims, between different amounts of depth. What's it supposed to be?
2009-07-26, 8:13 PM #7
Ahahahaha that's fantastic!
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-07-27, 11:40 AM #8
One of my original goals was to make a "family friendly" version of HDU. I think the AIDS cards kinda throws that thought to the wind. It could easily be changed to the "poison" card or something.

What do you guys think: AIDS card is controversial/politically incorrect/inappropriate/not-family-friendly OR it's ok and not a big deal?
Attachment: 22390/extra cards.jpg (79,143 bytes)
2009-07-27, 11:44 AM #9
I have no beef with the aids card
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-07-27, 1:30 PM #10
What do those cards do?
2009-07-27, 1:52 PM #11
There's more to come, but for those cards:

AIDS: spreads the luv. If someone plays a Draw 4, 8 or whatever on you, they draw half the card and you the other half. If caught with it at the end of a hand, you take an accruing 10 point penalty every hand afterward until you win a hand (20 points next hand, 30 the next, etc).

Quitter: The next person in line is out of the hand, taking all points in their hand (when someone reaches 1000 the game is over - lowest points WINS)

Back Off: Turns the draw 4s and such back on the person who played them.

Holy Defender: Exempts you from Draw 4s and such. If you still have it at the end of a hand, it halves your score for that hand.

Stinker: Can only be played on the Holy Defender, the Magic Red 5, or as the last card in your hand. At the end of a hand, it is worth the same as the highest total of any other player in that round.

M.A.D. - (a personal favorite) stands for Mutually Assured Destruction. Both you and the player of your choosing are out for the round, taking the points currently in hand.

56 - Can be played on 5s or 6s and while holding it, it allows you to play 5s on 6s and vise-versa. If you have it at the end of a hand, your total points for the hand is 56. (side note: if the Magic Red 5 is played on the 56, the next person draws 56 cards - wee!) Not sure how I'm going to code the logic for this card yet.

One of my favorite rules about HDU is stacking, where if the person before you plays a Draw4, you can play a Draw4 (if you have one) and the next person has to draw 8. Unless they have one too. Eventually someone eats a lot of cards.
2009-07-27, 2:46 PM #12
Rename the AIDS card poison. I don't think calling it "AIDS" is "family friendly". And "poison" describes it well enough.

Originally posted by JM:
If that's actually a magic eye, I can't get it to focus. It just kind of... swims, between different amounts of depth. What's it supposed to be?

:carl:

It's SUPPOSED to be GREEN FELT

2009-07-27, 3:08 PM #13
But the DEPTH SWIMS. Like it should focus into something.

Quote:
One of my favorite rules about HDU is stacking, where if the person before you plays a Draw4, you can play a Draw4 (if you have one) and the next person has to draw 8. Unless they have one too. Eventually someone eats a lot of cards.
That's a rule from the original uno. My family plays four hour long uno games. Before the FIRST person gets out.

Quote:
accruing 10 point penalty every hand afterward until you win a hand (20 points next hand, 30 the next, etc).
Hands? Uno with hands?

What the **** have you done to uno? You've ruined it.
2009-07-27, 3:20 PM #14
In HDU, a "hand" ends when someone gets rid of all their cards. Then everyone totals their points. When someone reaches 1000 total points (which can take several hands or sometimes one) the game is over. The person with the lowest total score wins.

And I didn't create this. This has been around since the early 90's. Since Windows 3.1, I think. I'm just remaking it in a format that is supported by more OS's and making it something that is void of all the language of the original but still fun to play.

I can send you a zip of a "newer" exe of HDU. It's pretty close to the original, but some card-names have changed, and it's a little bit buggy, but not too bad.

If anyone wants it, just PM me.
2009-07-27, 3:23 PM #15
Originally posted by JM:
That's a rule from the original uno.

No, it isn't.

Originally posted by JM:
My family plays four hour long uno games. Before the FIRST person gets out.

Maybe you all suck really bad at UNO? ;)
2009-07-27, 3:49 PM #16
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
No, it isn't.

Actually it technically is, it's a rule in switch/pick-up-2/mau mau etc. UNO is just a variation on these only someone was money-smart and made custom cards. :P

Please note, I've never actually played "UNO", we just play switch with real cards. :D
nope.
2009-07-27, 4:55 PM #17
Originally posted by JM:
Hands? Uno with hands?

What the **** have you done to uno? You've ruined it.

It's always had hands/games. What are you talking about?
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-07-27, 5:50 PM #18
Quote:
Maybe you all suck really bad at UNO?
No. Whenever someone gets close, we attack. Like sharks. They call uno, and suddenly a stack of draw 2s goes around the table and they have 23 cards.
2009-07-27, 6:26 PM #19
I think I will change "aids" to "poison". More cards to come in a few days. I have actual work to do for a change.
2009-07-28, 4:44 AM #20
In my family we eschew points altogether and just play until the first person has gotten rid of all their cards. Fast and easy fun in our small group, and the house rules avoids confusion/arguments over points scoring after we've all had a few. That's how I prefer Uno to be, although I do think it's good that you're putting effort into this.
2009-07-30, 5:30 PM #21
Moar cardz.
Attachment: 22411/HDUcards2.jpg (49,207 bytes)
2009-07-30, 5:41 PM #22
Luck O' The Irish = draw one less card than required. Showing possession of the card is all that is necessary, don't have to play it.

Montezuma's Revenge = if caught with it at the end of a hand, you start the next hand with all your cards (except the 'Zuma)

Glasnost - for those of you not hip to 80's russian politics, Glasnost is the russian word for "openness". The player of your choosing turns their current cards face up for all to see.

Penn State - blocks spreaders (like a draw 2, but everyone draws 2. Used like Luck O' the Irish. Joe Paterno loves you.

Magic Red 5 - plays on ANY card. If played on Wild Hot Death, it cancels it out.
2009-07-30, 5:43 PM #23
And mo'. Nearly done with cards now. These are variants of the Wilds and Wild Draw 4s. Not thrilled with the font on the Hot "Deth" card or the text "Harvester of Sorrows". Something tells me I'll be redoing all these cards later anyway.
Attachment: 22412/HDUcards3.jpg (39,958 bytes)
2009-07-30, 5:53 PM #24
Delayed Blast = skips a person, the next Draws 4

Wild Hot Death = Draw 8

Harvester of Sorrows = halts all stacking and the next person draws all required cards

Mystery Wild = Wild Draw... ? depends on the number of the card below it in the discard pile. If it happens to be on the 56... woo!
2009-07-31, 6:21 PM #25
Getting better?
Attachment: 22427/HDU_background3.jpg (52,010 bytes)

↑ Up to the top!