Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → any winamp users?
any winamp users?
2009-07-25, 10:49 AM #1
I listen to a very lengthy podcast every week (about 2 hours long or so), and I rarely get to listen to the whole thing in one sitting.

I use winamp on my PC, but I can't find any sort of bookmarking feature to save my place within the mp3-podcast I'm listening to. I usually create a text file with the name of the minute I was at while listening so I don't forget.

Anybody know if winamp can bookmark a spot within an mp3?
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-07-25, 12:03 PM #2
no idea. leave the file open?
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-07-25, 4:18 PM #3
I know this isn't the answer to your question but I just wanted to share that I recently decided to try iTunes only for downloading Podcasts. I use it to download several talk shows daily, usually a total of 5 mp3 files a day. I usually don't listen to every one of them in one sitting but I noticed that iTunes automatically bookmarks each one of them so no matter how I access the file (podcasts, playlist, downloads etc) it always picks up where I last left off.

I've avoided iTunes for years but it really does seem to serve the podcast purpose very well.

Perhaps there is a bookmark plugin available for Winamp.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-07-25, 4:44 PM #4
Winamp does bookmarks but they mark individual files or urls, not places within them.

2009-07-25, 5:07 PM #5
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I know this isn't the answer to your question but I just wanted to share that I recently decided to try iTunes only for downloading Podcasts. I use it to download several talk shows daily, usually a total of 5 mp3 files a day. I usually don't listen to every one of them in one sitting but I noticed that iTunes automatically bookmarks each one of them so no matter how I access the file (podcasts, playlist, downloads etc) it always picks up where I last left off.

I've avoided iTunes for years but it really does seem to serve the podcast purpose very well.

Perhaps there is a bookmark plugin available for Winamp.

Ignore this post. (Plus Zune is better hurf)

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/150126

Get this Winamp Essentials plugin set, which has specifically a time restore feature.
2009-07-25, 5:50 PM #6
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Ignore this post. (Plus Zune is better hurf)

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/150126

Get this Winamp Essentials plugin set, which has specifically a time restore feature.

Ah, thanks!

And FYI, a friend walked up to me tonight and handed me an iPod Nano for the same purpose!
2009-07-25, 6:05 PM #7
Oh, Chewbubba, you replied too fast. I think I was supposed to tell you to disregard his post because you don't need a plugin (even though it does exactly what you want) when you can use a superior program.

The things I like most about Winamp are the included visualizations. I personally have no desire to download additional ones because the included ones are that good. What I haven't found is a "ten foot interface" for it. I've always wondered if any of the homebrew "media centers" can use winamp visualizations. I like Windows Media Center because of the effortless sharing and use across my home network but it is not much to look at in the extender interface.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2009-07-25, 6:45 PM #8
Yeah I especially love how Media Center lags and often just completely fails over the network on an extender. What a great system. :/
2009-07-25, 7:22 PM #9
I've already memorized a lot of the shortcut keys with winamp and have used it since the stone age, I think. I love the Bento skin, and I just simply know my way around it better than iTunes and WMP, even though I use both of the others on occasion.

However, I absolutely CAN'T STAND any visualizations from any media program. I never install them if given a choice, and I never have them running if I don't. I've got better things to do than watch a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff.
2009-07-25, 7:25 PM #10
To CM: I wouldn't really know. I've only used it in that capacity for about two years. I also still use XP MCE 2005 on the computer I extend from. Then again, my home network is relatively uncomplicated. None of my consoles or PCs have ever had any issue connecting that I can recall.

2009-07-25, 7:31 PM #11
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
I've already memorized a lot of the shortcut keys with winamp and have used it since the stone age, I think. I love the Bento skin, and I just simply know my way around it better than iTunes and WMP, even though I use both of the others on occasion.

However, I absolutely CAN'T STAND any visualizations from any media program. I never install them if given a choice, and I never have them running if I don't. I've got better things to do than watch a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

See, I'm more interested in displaying them in a living room or someplace like that when playing music. Deployed I do find it kind of relaxing to have it going on the laptop while listening to music but this time around I've been running Handbrake nearly continuously converting many of my DVDs to video files so I don't have Winamp running, let alone a visualization, due to CPU load.

I can and have displayed Winamp on a TV in the house by connecting one of my laptops but the interface is not very intuitive from across the room and using a keyboard and mouse seems inconvenient when I can just stream the same music through a console already conected.

2009-07-25, 8:18 PM #12
I use Winamp 2.90... because I refuse change.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-07-25, 8:39 PM #13
Same reason I use opera 9.5.

↑ Up to the top!