Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → DVD Drive Help
DVD Drive Help
2009-07-29, 2:15 PM #1
Hey Guys I got a problem with my DVD drive....

It wont read any discs, and it shows up in my computer as a 'local disk' and has a picture of a hard drive....

When I go into Device Manager it shows up under CD/DVD drive with a yellow mark....

I cant seem to find drivers for it anywhere, its an LG DVD Drive that's IDE, and can do Light Scribe.

If anyone can help me out with this it will be greatly appreciated
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2009-07-29, 6:55 PM #2
Try disconnecting the drive and booting up the machine without it being connected. Then turn off your machine and replug said drive.
\(='_'=)/
2009-07-29, 6:59 PM #3
Does it boot directly off the dvd-drive from BIOS, ie with a Windows Installation disk or a Linux LiveCD?

Just trying to narrow it down to a real hardware problem or a driver issue.
My favorite JKDF2 h4x:
EAH XMAS v2
MANIPULATOR GUN
EAH SMOOTH SNIPER
2009-07-29, 7:53 PM #4
What is the error message in Device Manager? We can't help you besides vague suggestions if you don't tell us the actual problem you're having with it.

Use System Restore to restore to a date when the drive worked, see if that helps.

If it doesn't, try running my tool here: http://junk.mzzt.net/DriverFilters.exe

Look under DVD/CD-ROM drives. If you're on XP, Lower Filters should say "PxHelp20" while Upper Filters should be empty. Unfortunately I don't know the defaults for Vista. Third-party programs can add filters, but if these filters become invalid (because the program is improperly uninstalled, for example) the drive will stop working.

Entries correspond to driver entries. In Device Manager, click View > Show Hidden Devices and open Non-Plug and Play Drivers. Unfortunately many drivers have "display names" so you need to go to the properties of each and view the driver tab to see the "service name" which is what you are looking for. If you find it it has to be running. and probably set to start at boot.

Alternatively open command prompt and type "sc query <filtername>" and "sc qc <filtername>" to see if the driver exists, is running, and when it is set to startup.

If Windows can't find a filter, or the driver isn't running (usually because it fails to start up and stopped itself), it disables all the devices in the filter category.

You can try fixing any bad entries by double clicking the DVD/CD drives entry to go to Registry Editor. Use File > Export to back up this key in case you want to revert your changes, and then delete any entries from the UpperFilters and LowerFilters values that don't exist, and then reboot.

2009-07-30, 2:35 PM #5
Ok, it is Windows XP Professional, the error code is 10.

I ran that program to find the drive in the registry but I do not see anything that says upper or lower filters.

Something that may be causing a problem is the fact that it is IDE, and I have it running off an IDE PCI card since this mother board only has 1 IDE slot. I have 2 DVD drives that are IDE and one hard drive thats IDE, every thing else is SATA (other hard drives)

everything works, except this one DVD drive.
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2009-07-30, 6:56 PM #6
fire up regedit and look for this

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

delete upperfilter and lowerfilter in there if they exist and reboot\

i see this a lot, actually, and that usually fixes it.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2009-07-30, 8:28 PM #7
Yeah I already said that NoESC, except my method keeps him from deleting a default filter that Windows puts there.

Also the error code is worthless, the error message would be more useful.

Originally posted by Andrew L:
I ran that program to find the drive in the registry but I do not see anything that says upper or lower filters.

[http://x.mzzt.net/2009.07.30.23.32.57.png]

This is what it should be on XP. Third party programs can add filters. If these filters are not properly removed when the program is uninstalled, it will break the devices the filter... filters. I saw that problem once with iTunes on a lab computer, someone thought it was a good idea to uninstall it by deleting the program folder and so broke the CD drive.

2009-07-30, 10:09 PM #8
heh, sorry mzzt i didn't read your post

continue being awesome :)
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2009-07-31, 6:38 AM #9
Made the program myself. :D Helps with this particular type of problem.

2009-07-31, 12:17 PM #10
i'm totally stealing it and keeping it with me for jobs :)
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT

↑ Up to the top!