Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Request Jedi Knight in Steam!
Request Jedi Knight in Steam!
2009-07-31, 8:49 PM #1
There's a thread over in the Lucasarts forum requesting games to be brought over to steam. We should show them how many people would be interested in it. :)

http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=138994&start=60
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2009-07-31, 9:26 PM #2
Why? So they can disable mods?
2009-07-31, 10:08 PM #3
that would be awesome i think this is a good idea!
2009-07-31, 10:20 PM #4
I hate steam with a passion. So many games depend on that POS. Pisses me off.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2009-07-31, 10:40 PM #5
Why?
2009-07-31, 10:53 PM #6
Originally posted by NoESC:
There's a thread over in the Lucasarts forum requesting games to be brought over to steam. We should show them how many people would be interested in it. :)

Would that require registering on the LucasArts forum? No thanks.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-07-31, 11:03 PM #7
But to be less of a meanie, I don't think LucasArts cares really what the fans generally think.
2009-07-31, 11:06 PM #8
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:

How is it a piece of ****?

Even Valve has shorter production times than you.
2009-07-31, 11:14 PM #9
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
But to be less of a meanie, I don't think LucasArts cares really what the fans generally think.

privately held corporation owned by george lucas who makes decisions erratically at best.

zero regard for his customers.
2009-07-31, 11:46 PM #10
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:

You are wrong (and right). Some smaller developers may rely on quick distribution through Steam and Impulse (see: quick fads like World of Goo), and it shouldn't piss you off because it is so good for those developers.

Because of piracy, PC game sales are always the lowest of the platforms (PS3, XBox360, and PC). Steam offers a way to distribute without piracy. This is also why many games are released for consoles first and then PC's. Games depend on console sales more than PC sales (except stuff like MMO's which have a whole different way of making money).
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2009-07-31, 11:59 PM #11
Why? Because Lucasarts is rereleasing older games on steam. Even if all they did was give it proper Vista support, it would be worth it.

A lot of us have been at this site for 8+ years because of this game, is it too hard to register on those forums and post? Took about 5 minutes.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2009-08-01, 12:45 AM #12
Replying to Gold, Also LA said they would release the whole catalogue, it's just a matter of time.
2009-08-01, 2:11 AM #13
but there would probably be no support for mods or extra levels.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2009-08-01, 2:18 AM #14
Extra level support is a pretty basic part of the engine, and although the current mod loading tools might have to be re-written, I don't see why not.

Oh wait it's LA so we have a 50/50 chance that they screw it up.
2009-08-01, 2:30 AM #15
Unless they restarted from scratch there's pretty much no way they would or could remove mod support.

It's not like JK levels could work in a modern engine anyway.
2009-08-01, 7:23 AM #16
If it is re released on steam, there is a good chance we may get some fresh faces around here.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2009-08-01, 8:55 AM #17
I don't really wanna play JK anymore <_<
一个大西瓜
2009-08-01, 10:27 AM #18
Didn't JK sell very well in its time? I don't see how putting it on Steam is anything but a simple, good business decision. Of course LEC doesn't know the first thing about good business decisions.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-08-01, 10:32 AM #19
JK was released between Quake and Quake 2, back in a time when FPSes had a huge monetary and technological barrier to entry. It was a pretty big seller, yeah.
2009-08-01, 11:53 AM #20
It was certainly dwarfed by Quake and Half-Life but I imagine it sold well within its target demographic, Star Wars fans.
2009-08-01, 11:59 AM #21
for those who don't like their games being tied to the steam client LEC has released all the same games on direct2drive as well (same prices)

so when JK eventually is released on steam it will likely also be released on d2d
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-08-01, 12:01 PM #22
How are they tied to it? Most non-Valve games are just downloaded and put into a folder. You can copy, paste and run them anywhere.
2009-08-01, 12:06 PM #23
i believe that have steam checks... if steam isn't running it's a no go

some people don't like to leave steam running... i dunno maybe they have an ancient computer and need that resources it takes

just did a test with trying to run the only LEC title i bought on steam (Last Crusade) without steam running and it launched steam
2009-08-01, 12:12 PM #24
Yeah, UT does the same.

I do remember just copying Final Doom to another folder and running it with Doomsday without any hijinks. .. Hmm.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-08-01, 12:23 PM #25
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
just did a test with trying to run the only LEC title i bought on steam (Last Crusade) without steam running and it launched steam

It's a fairly new SCUMM interpreter, which they have the source code to. Worst-case you could copy the SCUMM data files over and run them with ScummVM.

Rumor has it LEC doesn't have the source code toe Jedi Knight anymore, so trying to integrate it with Steam would be... difficult.
2009-08-01, 12:29 PM #26
Originally posted by Jon`C:
It's a fairly new SCUMM interpreter, which they have the source code to. Worst-case you could copy the SCUMM data files over and run them with ScummVM.

Rumor has it LEC doesn't have the source code toe Jedi Knight anymore, so trying to integrate it with Steam would be... difficult.

scummvm won't work with the adventure games on steam... this has been known since day one

the scummvm devs said they could make it work but have no plans to at this time
2009-08-01, 12:47 PM #27
Originally posted by Gettleburger:
Steam offers a way to distribute without piracy.

Not true, games distributed on Steam are still pirated. There were hacks to give you every Steam game on your account, and hacks to make pirated games work online. I'm not sure if they're still around. Anyways there are most likely at least hacks to uncouple Steam games from Steam and allow for offline and LAN play.

However Valve is betting you'll find Steam more convenient and having more features than pirating: download and play your games anywhere there is internet access, integrated server browser, community features, Steam Cloud (coming any day now...). With traditional games pirated games are more convenient (no need to have the CD/DVD inserted while playing, can download the game from the internet instead of having to have it shipped or go to the store to buy it).

Originally posted by Emon:
How are they tied to it? Most non-Valve games are just downloaded and put into a folder. You can copy, paste and run them anywhere.

For some of the first third party games such as Defcon this was true, but Valve released an SDK or something with source code for a stub to tie a game to Steam easily... all my games have been updated, except of course the iD ones that use DOSBox.

2009-08-01, 1:04 PM #28
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
scummvm won't work with the adventure games on steam...

That's a combination of surprising and not surprising. According to Internet they just changed the names of some files in the containers to break ScummVM specifically.

Originally posted by The Mega-ZZTer:
Valve released an SDK or something with source code for a stub to tie a game to Steam easily...
Kinda hard to do if the rumors are true and LEC doesn't have access to the JK source code anymore.
2009-08-01, 6:52 PM #29
Originally posted by Petmc.:
If it is re released on steam, there is a good chance we may get some fresh faces around here.

I'm surprised no one else mentioned this. This is the first thing I thought.

It would bring a TON of new faces here and could (partially) revive the editing scene. At least long enough to give massassi another membership boost.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-08-01, 7:09 PM #30
Well, that can go both ways. The internet is a scary place with alot of bad (and stupid) people.

Massassi developed into this weird, isolated niche community that somehow hasn't died yet.
2009-08-01, 7:14 PM #31
Originally posted by michael11111111:
that would be awesome i think this is a good idea!

Did anyone else get a friend request from this guy?
2009-08-01, 8:27 PM #32
No, he must like you.
2009-08-01, 9:31 PM #33
Originally posted by Emon:
I don't see how putting it on Steam is anything but a simple, good business decision.

They would have to patch it to be Vista-compatible, plus there's rumors they don't have the source code anymore. [Edit: Ah Joncy mentioned that.]

2009-08-01, 9:34 PM #34
Exactly where did people learn that it went missing?
2009-08-02, 2:05 PM #35
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Well, that can go both ways. The internet is a scary place with alot of bad (and stupid) people.

Massassi developed into this weird, isolated niche community that somehow hasn't died yet.

I think its mostly because it's not flooded with complete *******.

Or rather it is but we all know each other. :P
nope.
2009-08-03, 7:54 AM #36
34 posts here, 4 posts there.

What?
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2009-08-03, 8:00 AM #37
I don't see there being any issues with levels working. They definitely won't take the time to change the engine or level-folder structure too much. If there is any issues at all, it will be in server-client checksum errors I would think.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-08-03, 3:15 PM #38
Unless you want us to discuss massassi history over there...

↑ Up to the top!