Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Pommy's Poll #53: Focus
Pommy's Poll #53: Focus
2009-08-01, 11:32 AM #1
I can't focus >_<
一个大西瓜
2009-08-01, 11:33 AM #2
Nice poll there, GENIUS
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-08-01, 11:34 AM #3
It takes time to add polls <_<
一个大西瓜
2009-08-01, 11:59 AM #4
I put 20-40 minutes but really that's just an estimate. I find that when working under pressure and trying to meet a deadline fast approaching I'll work very diligently and hardly be distracted at all. Though if I feel I have plenty of time I'll often pause frequently in my work and get caught up in other things and come back to my work sporadically.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2009-08-01, 12:00 PM #5
The thing that determines how long I can work on the same thing isn't my focus; it's how long people can restrain themselves before interrupting me. I'll get back to you when I hit the upper limit of my focus.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2009-08-01, 1:23 PM #6
Certainly it depends on the task.
2009-08-01, 1:44 PM #7
I put 5-20, I find it really hard to concentrate on things these days. :/
nope.
2009-08-01, 2:04 PM #8
However long it takes me to finish wanking.
2009-08-01, 6:55 PM #9
Originally posted by JM:
Certainly it depends on the task.

This.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-08-01, 9:41 PM #10
It depends on the task. If it's something fun and time-wasting (i.e. computer games) I can spend all day doing it. If it's something important and I'm under a huge time constraint, I'll do it and do it well. If it's something I don't really want to do, feel unsure about and I don't have a set schedule for doing it, I'll either do it half-heartedly, or put it off almost indefinitely. It's probably my biggest flaw. I've been considering going on adderall, it's probably something I should have done a long time ago.
:master::master::master:
2009-08-01, 10:45 PM #11
exactly what stat just said (minus the crap about adderall. drugs are stupid. even perscription.)
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-08-01, 11:48 PM #12
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
drugs are stupid. even perscription.)

I'm not exactly sure what your argument is, but I have a pretty good idea, so allow me to list some examples that refute this strawman: shoes, computers, boats
2009-08-02, 12:02 AM #13
:confused:

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2009-08-02, 10:17 AM #14
Depends on the task, but lets assume you mean work, in which case it depends if people let me focus.

An office with loud servers, tech support phone calls and people constantly hassling each other to make tea makes it very difficult to settle down to do some work. On the rare occasion where I actually manage it, the whole afternoon is gone in the blink of an eye.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-08-02, 10:23 AM #15
When everyone in the company is all "BRANDON!!! COME FIX MY PROBLEM!!!" it makes hard for me to get actual work done.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-08-02, 12:11 PM #16
exactly what stat just said (minus the crap about adderall. drugs are stupid. even perscription.)

Uh, what? Prescription drugs help millions of people for thousands of ailments. What exactly is bad about them?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-08-02, 12:19 PM #17
I'm on prescribed anti-depressants, and they do help.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2009-08-02, 12:20 PM #18
WHAT A DRUGGIE
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-08-02, 2:00 PM #19
depends on where i am.

work: depends on how busy we are. not busy, HOURS.

home: 10-20 mins

school: however long it takes me to finish whatever it is i'm doing.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2009-08-02, 3:23 PM #20
Originally posted by Emon:
Uh, what? Prescription drugs help millions of people for thousands of ailments. What exactly is bad about them?

You're doing it wrong.

It's **** BIG PHARMA
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-08-03, 5:29 AM #21
there's nothing wrong with medications themselves. There's major problems with the industry itself. But I really shouldn't derail this thread, and I don't care enough to start another, so do the research yourself. Bottom line, I tend to stay away from drugs, perscription or otherwise.

2009-08-03, 7:27 AM #22
I think the major problem is that it's an industry. :P
nope.
2009-08-03, 7:37 AM #23
Usually when I'm at work, or writing my novel I end up browsing the net every 40-50 minutes or so, for a few minutes to clear my mind. The only time I can focus for more than that at a time is when I'm playing videogames, reading or making sweet sweet love to [censored to allow fellow massassian member their privacy]
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-03, 7:53 AM #24
Depends on the importance of the task. If its a pressing matter I can stay on it almost as long as it takes... However, things like level editing, learning C++ ect... I slack off.
Quote Originally Posted by FastGamerr
"hurr hairy guy said my backhair looks dumb hurr hairy guy smash"
2009-08-03, 8:04 AM #25
Depends mostly on my mood, if I feel like doing something or not. But on average, 40mins to 2 hours
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2009-08-03, 11:00 AM #26
There's major problems with the industry itself. [...] Bottom line, I tend to stay away from drugs, perscription or otherwise.

Yet you willingly join the US military? Pardon the ad hominem, but any problem with the pharmaceutical industry (and the problems are mainly with the overzealous sales industry) seems to pale against an industry whose modus operandi is to spend obscene amounts of money to drop bombs on foreign soil under the guise of "national security."
2009-08-03, 4:28 PM #27
**** i can't
一个大西瓜

↑ Up to the top!