Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Roommate problem. Yeah, it's a stupid blog type post.
Roommate problem. Yeah, it's a stupid blog type post.
2009-08-01, 2:29 PM #1
Ok so here's the way this breaks down. I'm having issues with my roommate. For reasons I'm not sure of, he wants to move out of the apartment, and expects me to agree to break the lease on this apartment. The lease for the apartment ends at the beginning of January next year. Rent is $550 per month and it's a 2 bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood.

For some reason or another, he no longer wants to live in the same apartment as me. I still have no idea why, because I've been staying with my parents for the summer, so I've barely talked to him in the last few months. The last time I spoke to him, we had a conversation just catching up on what was going on in our lives. Out of nowhere, about a week ago, he sends me a text message saying he's moving out, and he wants me to break the lease.

In order for us to break the lease, we have to pay 2 months of rent up front. Now, here's where I run into issues with this idea. As stated before, the lease ends in January, making it almost exactly 5 months from today. I graduate from College in December.

Ok, so like I said, rent is $550 a month. Not a bad deal for such an awesome apartment. If I move into a new apartment, it'll probably be a one bedroom, and prices usually range about $400 a month for one bedrooms in my pricerange (read: as cheap as possible). So since I graduate in December, if I simply stay at this apartment I'll have to pay $2750 total in rent until the lease is up and I don't have to move into a new place, which would obviously disrupt the beginning of my semester.

If I move into a new place, with a price range of around $400 a month, I'll obviously have to sign a 12 month lease. This means I'll have to pay $4800 to end out that lease, in addition to the $550 to get out of this lease. So that brings my total to $5350, plus whatever deposit is needed for the new apartment.

I'm really trying to figure out how this seems like a good idea to him. Even if he MOVES OUT and leaves me to furnish the entire $550 a month it's more cost effective for me to stay there. I don't understand why this moron seems to think it's a brilliant idea to move out of this place.

To make matters worse, he's gone behind my back to the rental office and already arranged this entire deal. I don't know how he's managed to get away with this, considering my mother is the sole co-signer of the lease. So I don't know how he plans to get away with this whole ordeal, but I'm just wondering why he feels we must both move out.

Thoughts?
>>untie shoes
2009-08-01, 2:32 PM #2
Burn with fire.
2009-08-01, 2:33 PM #3
Um, tell the leasing agent that you want to take on sole responsibility for the lease.

Problem solved.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2009-08-01, 2:34 PM #4
Much like the last person you lived with, I suggest you piss in their closet.

Really though any way you can convince him to not move out until you can find someone else to move in?
nope.
2009-08-01, 3:24 PM #5
He obviously wants you to move out at the same time so you won't find the bodies he hid in his room.

↑ Up to the top!