Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Canker sore remedies
Canker sore remedies
2009-08-03, 2:21 PM #1
[LEFT]help

i normally just get one every now and then

but i woke up and i have a decent sized cluster of them including they are on my gumline and my gums have swelled

are these from stress/lack of sleep, i also just started a new job and a nursing/retirement home where people go because they are mental, very sick, dieing, could i have got something there?

anyone know any good home remedies to get them away, not just deal with the pain?[/LEFT]
2009-08-03, 2:22 PM #2
Antiseptic mouthwash, OraJel, wait.
2009-08-03, 2:37 PM #3
peroxide water might be good for it too to dry the bacteria out...just dont digest it.
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-08-03, 2:45 PM #4
Earwax. No ****. Just don't get it on your tongue. The taste isn't that great.

P.S. If that doesn't work, try a little salt.
? :)
2009-08-03, 2:55 PM #5
http://tinyurl.com/lf239r
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2009-08-03, 3:21 PM #6
Just go buy some of that crap that puts a little coating over it so you can eat without it hurting like crazy. It's caused by a virus (a variant of herpes, iirc) so you pretty much have to wait it out. If you're really bold/crazy put some silver iodide on it. Hurts like a hot poker rammed in your mouth and cauterizes everything it touches. But it heals from that point on. Ignore any poisoning from the silver iodide.

Stress causes flare ups.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2009-08-03, 3:33 PM #7
Originally posted by Couchman:
i also just started a new job and a nursing/retirement home where people go because they are mental, very sick, dieing, could i have got something there?

People in nursing homes are second only to young adults in STD transmission rates.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2009-08-03, 3:34 PM #8
Rinse your mouth with salt water to clean it. Or any of the other aforementioned remedies. All if which would have been discovered through google. Or WebMD.
2009-08-03, 3:44 PM #9
licorice (wafers)
一个大西瓜
2009-08-03, 3:46 PM #10
Rinse often with hydrogen peroxide. It's a debriding agent, meaning it helps remove dead tissue and thus speeds healing. Any kind of anesthetic will work for the pain, such as sore throat spray. Actual canker sore gels that stick and cover the sore for longer periods of time will be better.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2009-08-03, 3:56 PM #11
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
It's caused by a virus (a variant of herpes, iirc) so you pretty much have to wait it out.

That's actually cold sores, which are completely different. Canker sores are more mysterious, but typically not as nasty.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2009-08-03, 4:17 PM #12
I thought they were the same thing.

Rub lemon juice and salt in it. The burning sensation is really just the healing powers of lemon and salt. Really. No, really. Just do it. Trust me. Really.
2009-08-03, 4:28 PM #13
D:
一个大西瓜
2009-08-03, 4:36 PM #14
Quote:
I thought they were the same thing.

They are pretty much the same thing. A sore in your mouth that hurts like hell.
2009-08-03, 8:05 PM #15
Are you guys telling me i have herpes?
2009-08-03, 8:31 PM #16
no its not a strand of herpes
I'm proud of my life and the things that I have done, proud of myself and the loner I've become.
2009-08-03, 8:50 PM #17
Herpes will appear on your lips too. Canker sores are generally on the gums.

But it might be herpes.
2009-08-03, 8:56 PM #18
it's herpes... now let's laugh at couchman

*laughs*
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2009-08-03, 9:10 PM #19
"Chickenpox" is part of the Herpesviridae, Varicella-Zoster to be precise.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2009-08-03, 9:56 PM #20
I once had a terrible canker sore when I first had braces. The orthodontist screwed up and a piece of wire was sticking out. Imagine a canker sore with a piece of metal scrapping the inside of it.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-08-03, 10:06 PM #21
Recently I had four canker sores on the inside of my mouth right below my bottom lip. Rinsing with salt water helps, although it does tend to burn. (And as already said, don't swallow.)

Sometimes when broken open they go away, other times they reappear with a vengeance.
2009-08-03, 10:07 PM #22
I often get a canker sore/cold sore/whatever sore in the spot when I accidentally bite the inside of my cheek. Then I'll end up biting it again. And again.
2009-08-03, 11:02 PM #23
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
I once had a terrible canker sore when I first had braces. The orthodontist screwed up and a piece of wire was sticking out. Imagine a canker sore with a piece of metal scrapping the inside of it.

Wax?
2009-08-04, 2:07 AM #24
I feel your pain, man. I have a long history of canker sores!

Recently after a nasty concentration of canker sores, I did some googling and discovered that a cleansing agent called sodium lauryl sulfate found in a variety of hygiene products, including most toothpastes, tends to erode sensitive mucuous membrane, forming canker sores. So I went out and bought some toothpaste free of this substance (the toothpaste was branded as "sensitive") and I feel it has worked for me, the few sores I've had since a while of only using this toothpaste have been tiny and not painful. It's probably one of those things that works for some and not for others, but I suggest giving it a try.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2009-08-04, 4:12 AM #25
Bonjela works wonders.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2009-08-04, 6:50 AM #26
Originally posted by Emon:
Wax?

Wax?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-08-04, 7:04 AM #27
To put on the wire.
2009-08-04, 7:55 AM #28
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
To put on the wire.

To put on the wire.
2009-08-04, 11:02 AM #29
Originally posted by Couchman:
Are you guys telling me i have herpes?

Canker sores are different from cold sores. They have basically the same symptoms (annoying as hell, painful). One is a variant of herpes, one is not.

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/health/fever-blister/fever-canker.html
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2009-08-04, 1:18 PM #30
If I remember rightly, canker sores are actually more similar to peptic ulcers than cold sores.
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!
2009-08-04, 3:58 PM #31
Yes, canker sores are not caused by herpes simplex like cold sores are.
2009-08-04, 5:19 PM #32
I feel your pain. These canker sores are a ***** when you're eating to say the least. I only recently got rid of one last week.
2009-08-04, 5:22 PM #33
Attachment: 22453/cloud.gif (1,458 bytes)
2009-08-04, 7:19 PM #34
i used two doses of hydrogen peroxide, no change yet.
2009-08-04, 7:56 PM #35
I tried peroxide and some other similar OTC product, and neither really worked for me either.
2009-08-04, 8:11 PM #36
... the peroxide is to keep it clean. it has to heal on its own. jesus christ read a little bit or just go out and get AIDS and die already.
2009-08-04, 9:29 PM #37
Tea Tree oil. Dip a q-tip in it, and apply it to the sore. Works overnight for me.

o.0
2009-08-04, 9:48 PM #38
brush your teeth twice daily, get some good sleep, stop drinking soda or your little candies before bedtime. you unhygienic mofos.
2009-08-04, 9:49 PM #39
Peroxide can help as I mentioned, because it can help remove dead tissue. Exactly how much, I'm not sure.
2009-08-04, 10:00 PM #40
you're all forgetting that it takes time. it's not going to heal overnight just because you put nitro glycerine on it. everything that people have mentioned do nothing but give the wound time to heal. rinse it daily. even if it's just water. don't expect some magic ****ing remedy.

↑ Up to the top!