Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → [Far Cry 2] Far Cry 2
[Far Cry 2] Far Cry 2
2009-08-04, 8:57 AM #1
I just bought this game. Fun times. The story is rather minimal, and the voice acting is rather... fast paced, but overall I'm having a blast dwelving through the african jungle. I've only done a handful of missions, but its great. I do hear it gets boring and repetitive after a while, but I have good feeling I'm going to enjoy toying around this large, lush world.

I like the gunning mechanics. No crosshair, instead you hold the gun up. That's pretty neat.

I've been trying to figure this out : Is there a point to selecting a character? Does it have any influence whatsoever on the game? Are some faster? Some more endurant? Etc? At first glance the only obvious difference is your body when you look down. :P
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2009-08-04, 8:59 AM #2
The first 2 hours are awesome.

After that it blows. :(

(i have no idea if picking a different character makes a difference)
2009-08-04, 9:52 AM #3
I thought the whole thing was a load of horse**** from the beginning. :P

And no I don't think picking a different character changes it apart from the obvious.
nope.
2009-08-04, 10:03 AM #4
I always thought the first Far Cry game was just a graphics card demo for... well... graphics cards (of the time).

Crysis seemed a lot more interesting than Far Cry 2, though.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-08-04, 10:09 AM #5
Well I'm playing it on xbox 360, so far Crysis was unavailable to me.

I actually enjoyed the first Farcry a lot. Especially the portions without the mutant beast things. What attracted me about Farcry 2 was the open-ended, emmersive jungle setting.
2009-08-04, 10:11 AM #6
I remember being attracted to GTA 3 for similar reasons... well, an immersive concrete jungle.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2009-08-04, 10:34 AM #7
Originally posted by SiliconC:
The first 2 hours are awesome.

After that it blows. :(

(i have no idea if picking a different character makes a difference)

You got about an hour of awesome more than me then.
I kept playing it for a while, convinced that it surely must be good, open-ended game, pretty graphics, realism etc
But ugh, it's just an awful game, it's slow, boring and when they try so hard for realism it just makes all the unrealistic bits (like the ai, the glowing cases etc) really stand out.

Also: you can have an aim cursor, or not have one, just like every other fps, the only difference is in this it's off by default where as other games have it on by default.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2009-08-04, 10:58 AM #8
The reactions I heard from others were mostly negative, and most people do think it gets boring. But! I played that game to completion for a full 50 hours, and I really enjoyed it. I think if the aesthetic of it strikes you the right way, it's fun despite its flaws.

I just loved running and gunning, sneaking around through the wilderness, being stealthy, etc.

And yeah WHY the hell do the NPCs talk so goddamned fast?

P.S. Picking a different character doesn't do ****, except to remove the option of seeing that character in the world. Also your arm may look a little different -_-.
2009-08-04, 11:04 AM #9
We shall see how I feel about it a few hours down the road. I'm usually good at staying immersed despite glaring flaws (glowing boxed, unrealistic healing mechanics, etc.)

So far when I read reviews, the good bits really appeal to me while the bad ones are generally things I don't mind so much. Having played and enjoyed MMO's to death, repetitive missions and respawning guards don't bother me none. Nor does driving around.
2009-08-04, 12:03 PM #10
I liked the game a lot as well. But one thing that really annoyed me are the guard posts that you run into when driving towards your mission. Sometimes you can run into more than three at one go and that is just plain annoying. Also the guard posts have a ridiculous short spawn time as well. One time, I was just hanging out around the area, and they respawned out of thin air and shot me full of holes. In the end, this game is pretty damn solid, but it isn't for the ADHD either.
\(='_'=)/
2009-08-04, 12:14 PM #11
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
I always thought the first Far Cry game was just a graphics card demo for... well... graphics cards (of the time).

Crysis seemed a lot more interesting than Far Cry 2, though.

HOW WOULD YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CRYSIS MISTER "IM STILL WORKING ON TODOA"-MUBEKI
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2009-08-04, 12:19 PM #12
Originally posted by Jep:
I do hear it gets boring and repetitive after a while, but I have good feeling I'm going to enjoy toying around this large, lush world.

The problem kicks in when you realize that this "large, lust world" is rather empty and ultimately pointless for exploring. It's not like Fallout 3 where checking out the land can yield rewards or surprises; it just acts like filler time for missions. I think it tries too hard to be "realistic" which is reflected on the boring vast surroundings.

I got the game for $10 on Steam. I still haven't finished it all the way through because action games that get rather repetitive just puts me to sleep. You shouldn't compare it to RPG grinding because atleast you level up.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2009-08-04, 12:22 PM #13
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
"large, lust world"

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm. I think I can immerse myself in that just fine ;)
2009-08-04, 12:23 PM #14
You did once, very young. Your mother is great.
2009-08-04, 12:25 PM #15
[http://www.myglasseye.net/images/20060827180505_myglasseye%20152.jpg]
2009-08-04, 12:26 PM #16
:v:
2009-08-04, 12:30 PM #17
Multiplayer was alright. I liked Crysis better for singleplayer, however.
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2009-08-04, 1:45 PM #18
I found Far Cry 2 to be awesome, until I realized that every mission was exactly the same. There's a level of detail to the game that I, personally, have never seen before. But the level of detail is a downfall in that the interactivity does not compare to the detail. There's very little to do between villages or around the city.

The firefights are fun as hell. Running through an African village, ducking between tin-house shanties, and burning the entire field around the village for a distraction is an absolutely amazing time. But then you die, and you have to go back half an hour because it has no quicksave system on the xbox, and 15 minutes of that half hour was spent driving half way across the landscape.

Also, the fact that absolutely none of the world is persistent once you leave sight of a place causes a lot of repetition in driving when you're interrupted every 48 seconds by yet another guard post that you can't outrun because the AI will trail you to no end.

I think if you were to play it on the computer, with a quicksave system, the game would be vastly improved. I also think that if someone were to mod a bit more interactivity and variety into the game, such as being able to recruit people to fight with you, the game would be significantly more playable.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2009-08-04, 2:49 PM #19
I couldn't finish it. The game got boring and annoying for me, and that says a lot. I can usually grind my way through it, but it just never happened with Far Cry 2. It looks great, but that wore off after the first few hours. Getting to the mission locations was extremely annoying as well. And the spawn times for the guard posts sucked as well. As did the fact that the guys just appeared out of nowhere instead of showing up in a truck or something.
Pissed Off?
2009-08-04, 4:20 PM #20
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:

Also, the fact that absolutely none of the world is persistent once you leave sight of a place causes a lot of repetition in driving when you're interrupted every 48 seconds by yet another guard post that you can't outrun because the AI will trail you to no end.

Oh man, if they made some sort of dynamic AI system that kept a consistent track of NPCs in the world, that would have been awesome. Like if one faction decides to move out as a group to another location, the game keeps tabs on what they are doing and where they are in real time. You camp a location to make an assassination or steal something by figuring out where certain people will be. They could send search parties to try and find you, and you out maneuver groups of NPCs without worrying about a truckload of them spawning 2 feet ahead.

The real problem is that Far Cry 2 never really uses the vast land to its true potential. It just boils down to a large place to spawn enemies after enemies out of thin air.
2009-08-04, 4:38 PM #21
Spawning the enemies at their respective bases and requiring them to actually get to their posts would have been awesome.
Pissed Off?
2009-08-04, 5:16 PM #22
Originally posted by silent_killa:
I liked the game a lot as well. But one thing that really annoyed me are the guard posts that you run into when driving towards your mission. Sometimes you can run into more than three at one go and that is just plain annoying. Also the guard posts have a ridiculous short spawn time as well. One time, I was just hanging out around the area, and they respawned out of thin air and shot me full of holes. In the end, this game is pretty damn solid, but it isn't for the ADHD either.

I feel the exact same way. Although finding diamonds was optional, I felt compelled to do it for the sake of completion and boy was that mundane. The plot twist towards the end is kind of lame too. I did finish the game the whole way through in 40 hours or so though. I personally think the game could have used more bus stations.
2009-08-05, 11:54 AM #23
I liked the game and I'm actually playing through it again cuz I'm bored

I like how there's a FC2 thread like every 2 months here though haha
一个大西瓜
2009-08-06, 11:29 AM #24
Well so far (after about 6 hours of play), I am enjoying the game. I really, really like sneaking through the jungle at night, intercepting patrol cars and the likes. I've encountered some annoying or wierd tid bits, like a convoy I'm supposed to stop, that was rolling along the road. When I tried to place myself in a position to ambush it, my map showed they had teleported to another spot (they could not have gotten ahead of me with me seeing them) That annoyed me. Another is how easy they seem to detect me despite my wielding a silent weapon. I shoot and then turn around and know where I'm at. Hopefully once I've bought the Camo upgrade it'll work out better. The respawning guards business can admitedly get a little retarded but its not too bad.

Otherwise its a blast. I take my time, exploring things, looking for diamond, checking out empty farmsteads. I usually don't use the trucks and vehicles much. The main story missions are a lot of fun.

And of course, I totally adore the graphics. I really hope that the next Elder Scrolls title is able to display such amazing vegetation and diversity. I got to the desert last night and was just awe struck. Sometimes I wish Ubisoft hired good writers and quest designers and made an open-world rpg à la oblivion
2009-08-06, 12:26 PM #25
I liked the game for the most part, but spending so much time in transit between objectives really annoyed me. It's a big disincentive to spend more time exploring, and it kind of kills any interest I might have in replaying the game. Also, the ending is incredibly lame, but I've posted on that before.

Firefights are a blast, though. The weapons -- at least the ones I tried -- have a great feel to them. I felt like a total badass. And setting traps is a lot of fun too. I'd always try to space out IEDs to send an entire convoy up in flames at once, or block the road with a car and bunch them up before attacking.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2009-08-06, 11:39 PM #26
I hate how they take away your cursor by default *for realism* yet sticks to the same format for fps' everywhere.
The reason fps' have cursors is because in the real world people don't spend the entire time with the gun pressed right up against their face.
When aiming with a pistol for instance, you have it down the length of your arm (yes I know theres more to it then that and gun nuts all over this forum are going to tell me off for my vagueness but meh), they don't push the pistol right near their face like you are forced to in this game to have accuracy without turning the cursor on.
Ironsights as it is commonly known, IS a method used irl with guns for more accuracy, but that's not the only way to get any kind of accuracy beyond guessing where the centre of the screen is.

I've had indepth arguments about this before, and have forced quite a few people to concede that having the cursor is actually more realistic then not having it, though I of course admit there are better ways to do it, they just aren't being used yet.
2009-08-06, 11:54 PM #27
Just make it so all the guns have lasers on them ingame, it's cool and it works much the same way.
2009-08-07, 4:59 AM #28
Originally posted by Deadman:
I hate how they take away your cursor by default *for realism* yet sticks to the same format for fps' everywhere.
The reason fps' have cursors is because in the real world people don't spend the entire time with the gun pressed right up against their face.
When aiming with a pistol for instance, you have it down the length of your arm (yes I know theres more to it then that and gun nuts all over this forum are going to tell me off for my vagueness but meh), they don't push the pistol right near their face like you are forced to in this game to have accuracy without turning the cursor on.
Ironsights as it is commonly known, IS a method used irl with guns for more accuracy, but that's not the only way to get any kind of accuracy beyond guessing where the centre of the screen is.

I've had indepth arguments about this before, and have forced quite a few people to concede that having the cursor is actually more realistic then not having it, though I of course admit there are better ways to do it, they just aren't being used yet.

You can't accurately aim a gun without looking through the sights. This is a fairly Captain Obvious kind of thing. Did you happen to notice that shooting in FC2 without looking down the sights is wildly inacurrate? It's like that for a reason. The ability to shoot without looking down the sights just allows you to fire a weapon while moving quickly. This is for defence, not offence. Very few people can make accurate shots while moving. This is why movement is slowed while looking down the sights in the game. This is also why there is no aiming crosshair - because there's no use for it in the context of the game. This is all intended to be a good emulation of real-world examples, and there is nothing remotely realistic about having an aiming cursor in the centre of the screen. It's fine for fast-paced shooters, but FC2 is about delivering a realistic experience, not simulation. It's not Sim City. It's more like The Sims.

The reason the sights on the pistols are way up close to the screen is because that's kind of what it looks like when you actually perform the action.

Grab a TV remote. Hold it like a gun. Close one eye, look at a target down the edge of the remote. Now remember that your field of vision is almost 180° while the FOV in FarCry 2 (and most FPS, even on a widescreen monitor) is closer to 60°.

If the sights for the shoulder held weapons were accurately placed, they would appear even closer to the screen. Consider that.
2009-08-07, 8:29 AM #29
Quote:
FC2...realistic

lolwut?
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2009-08-07, 1:12 PM #30
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Just make it so all the guns have lasers on them ingame, it's cool and it works much the same way.

Except a laser sight doesn't work at all in real life like a laser sight does in a game, isn't too particularly accurate depending on the distance and gun, and it's ****ing annoying to have to look for a red dot.

I don't like laser sights.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2009-08-10, 4:41 AM #31
I guess my tastes differ from the general public because I am having a blast with this game. I like sneaking through the brush, spying on my targets, and choosing the best way to attack. I'm still in act one but I've done quite a few missions. Once I purchased the weapon crates for primary and secondary and am able to switch between an assault rifle / silent pistol combo and a sniper rifle / MAC-10 combo I have a blast thinking up strategies.

I can see where some would find things repetitive (I'm still in act one and have been to the fishing village 3 times, the north western fuel depot / train yard 5 times) but it feels like the set pieces are different each time and I think up new strategies. Sniping fuel tanks and setting the entire fuel depot ablaze was ****ing awesome.

I find the combat mechanics are a blast here as well and with the camo upgrade, its f'ing fun to sneak up on camps, snipe them and once they spot me I sprint/slide from rock/tree to tree. They quickly lose track of me and I'm able to flank them again.
2009-08-10, 10:04 AM #32
I pretty much played it the same way you are, Jepper. Hitting the same base multiple times is still fun if you proceed by a different route and have a different loadout.
2009-08-10, 11:36 AM #33
I pretty much vary my strategies throughout the game and take the time to consider my missions and scout out the base before attacking. I'll select my weaponry based on the situation, terrain, and time of day.

If its in the jungle, I'm more likely to go in with my assault rifle and silent pistol. Slip from tree to tree, hit and run.

If its on a grassy plain, does the terrain offer elevations to better snipe from? With all that grass, maybe a sniper shot in a gasoline tank would spread nicely.

Ok so this mansion is surrounded by cliffs? Coming from the front, I'm likely to get spotted by a sniper or front guards. Is there a trail? Yea but its none too helpful. There is a river running behind the mansion, what is the nearest water point? If I snipe the river-side guards maybe I can get in undetected.

Etc.

I can totally see this game being TERRIBLE if you are expecting some halo type game where you can focus on mindlessly gun everything with non stop action.

Oddly enough, Far Cry 2 is the best FPS I've played since Chronicles of Riddick : Escape from Butcher Bay on the original Xbox. Games like Halo, Call of Duty (I haven't tried Modern Warfare, though), and the likes are not so much my style. Mostly due to their linearity.
2009-08-11, 6:54 AM #34
Quote:
I can totally see this game being TERRIBLE if you are expecting some halo type game where you can focus on mindlessly gun everything with non stop action.

That is pretty much how I play it...
<Rob> This is internet.
2009-08-11, 7:28 AM #35
Originally posted by Jin:
Grab a TV remote. Hold it like a gun. Close one eye, look at a target down the edge of the remote. Now remember that your field of vision is almost 180° while the FOV in FarCry 2 (and most FPS, even on a widescreen monitor) is closer to 60°.

Protip: FOV of almost all FPSes start at least at 80°, often 85-90. You might even get 95 on a widescreen monitor.
2009-08-11, 8:03 AM #36

But remember that closing that eye loses quite a bit of said FOV thanks to your nose. :P
nope.
2009-08-11, 11:45 AM #37
:eng101:
\(='_'=)/
2009-08-11, 11:50 AM #38
So, Does this game have any mods yet?
2009-08-11, 12:51 PM #39
Somehow FC2 mods never took off, however I have discovered a tool to extract from the data files. Also looking at what might be the spawning files, I think it may be tied to the player being around rather than a timer.
<Rob> This is internet.
2009-08-14, 4:04 AM #40
You can't accurately aim a gun without looking through the sights. This is a fairly Captain Obvious kind of thing.

Yeah... it's better if you read someones post before trying to refute it.
Mine was not a generic "no cursor" complaint. I did actually SAY you should look through the sights, but theres a difference between looking through the sites and sticking your face right up against gun so you can't see anything else but what's directly in front of you.
I have actually fired guns a fair bit and know what aiming looks like, hell I think most people here would have a decent idea anyway, as it's a fairly Captain Obvious kind of thing.
But if you wanna pretend the game got it right then go ahead.

↑ Up to the top!